Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are the perennial issues of all those misaligned and very distant runways as well as the noise abatement rules restricting their use, but the main culprit is the airport's decision a few years back to go all out to increase flight movements to the maximum permissible number of ½ a million.

AMS now just doesn't have the infrastructure and facilities to cope anymore.

One hiccup and everything goes haywire.

Johan
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Well, KL has decided to make up for yesterday's missed opportunity by canceling 50 flights today instead.

Still not that windy, but blowing from the west, putting half the runways out of action.

Johan
My flight today from LIN was cancelled last night. Since its a group booking that I'm not in charge of we were rebooked to tomorrow's flight (I would have moved to LH or LX, or at the very least tried the evening flights out of MXP). If the wind keeps up, I'm questioning whether we will get out tomorrow either.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another 85 or so KL flights canceled today.

Johan
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:59 am

Another 85 or so KL flights canceled today.

Johan
Is this the high wind gusts causing issues?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TankerT
Is this the high wind gusts causing issues?
Or AMS' inability to deal with those gusts.

Have your pick.

Johan
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Was booked LIN-AMS-GLA today and got notification yesterday that LIN-AMS was cancelled. I presume it was WX related. A phone agent informed me that I was rebooked on LH flying LIN-FRA-GLA. While I was annoyed the itinerary had me departing LIN an hour earlier, I know it could’ve been a greater time change and I’m actually impressed that the re-booking went so smoothly. Even got a decent economy cabin-forward window seat.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
KLM now says there will be disruption on Friday as well.

Considering changing my early morning flight to a later one, all flights to Munich are showing as operating now, but I worry if the later one is overbooked or cancelled I might have issues getting there. Would be nice if I could also change to a flight via CDG, but those are charging the fare difference, which for a next day flight is quite a lot.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
KLM now says there will be disruption on Friday as well.

Considering changing my early morning flight to a later one, all flights to Munich are showing as operating now, but I worry if the later one is overbooked or cancelled I might have issues getting there. Would be nice if I could also change to a flight via CDG, but those are charging the fare difference, which for a next day flight is quite a lot.
Yep, saw the info about disruption but as I see no flights cancelled yet. I am ok on CDG-AMS-JFK and hope it sticks, DL or AF A380 in J does not sound appealing to me. Get to MUC on time, I will track your flight and if you dont depart I will send you PM to meet in lounge
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by 747jetter
Yep, saw the info about disruption but as I see no flights cancelled yet. I am ok on CDG-AMS-JFK and hope it sticks, DL or AF A380 in J does not sound appealing to me. Get to MUC on time, I will track your flight and if you dont depart I will send you PM to meet in lounge
The lunchtime flight was cancelled in the meantime, I think I'll stick to my early morning flight to have some buffer, even if I decide not to go to Munich proper, with the weather being what it is. Otherwise if I changed myself to late morning and failed to get on, I'd be toast.

edit: mid-morning flight is not available anymore, which I guess makes sense if some of the lunchtime pax are protected on it. There's also less seats available for selection on my flight, but that might be people checking in just as much as actual rebookings.
Maybe I'll ask if its over and offer to fly via CDG, for some extra XP
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Strikes by public transport organizations and security at AMS on Monday, March 18.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Didymis
Strikes by public transport organizations and security at AMS on Monday, March 18.
Glad I'm flying out Sunday night now ^

Was a bit bumpy flying in Thursday.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:10 pm

Also striking is the security staff apparently, around lunchtime.

Add to that the fact that OK/QS are now 7 planes short due to Max situation, I've had myself changed to a later flight tomorrow.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Fog today so I am stuck in a plane hoping for the fog to clear. 2 to 3 hours said the captain. They made us board to be ready if it clears.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visibility in AMS is currently all of 99 meters. To make matters worse, the whole country is under a dense blanket of fog, with the exception of the Waddeneilanden and the highest parts of Limburg. The forecast is for the fog to slowly clear from the southeast from late morning or early afternoon,. However, it may persist all day in western coastal areas, and is in any case predicted to return in the west and north during the evening and night.

Between 7 and 8 a.m., most incoming flights did land, but mostly late.

Only a handful of longhaul flights have managed to land since 8 a.m. All the shorthauls seem to be screwed.

Good luck!

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Mar 22, 2019 at 1:46 am Reason: forecast updated
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Visibility in AMS is currently all of 99 meters. To make matters worse, the whole country is under a dense blanket of fog, with the exception of the Waddeneilanden and the highest parts of Limburg. The forecast is for the fog to slowly clear from the southeast from late morning or early afternoon,. However, it may persist all day in western coastal areas, and is in any case predicted to return in the west and north during the evening and night.

Between 7 and 8 a.m., most incoming flights did land, but mostly late.

Only a handful of longhaul flights have managed to land since 8 a.m. All the shorthauls seem to be screwed.

Good luck!

Johan
I was on a long haul arriving this morning, and indeed it was terrible, did not see the ground until just before touchdown. There was a delay, but it was minimal, about 10 mins as informed by the pilot. Even taxing from the famous Polderbaan I did not see the terminal or actually any aircraft until it was close to it....never seen it so bad before in day time....
Even on the train back down south, it had to stop a few times - most probably related to the mist. Has only started to clear up about an hour ago as I type this.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.