Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
and they ran out of deicing liquid.
That's 'cause AMS offers a highly professional and efficient deicing service, prepared for all eventualities 24/7/365. They set a shining example for all those other airports where amateurs rule the roost.

Johan
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
AMS is indeed completely shut down at the moment. They expect to gradually resume operations in about 10 minutes.
Vertrekhals 1 & 2 will remain closed, due to falling debris. Only Vertrekhal 3 can be used for checkin.

That's bound to cause issues....
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Only Vertrekhal 3 can be used for checkin.

"Due to strong winds, a few roof plates have been detached from the terminal building. The entrances of Departures 1 and 2 are therefore closed. Passengers can enter Departures 3. Check-in is possible in all departure halls."
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Just got word that DB is suspending all distance trains in Germany. NS apparently in shambles as well. Looks to be quite bad out there.

I'm certainly NOT mad about sitting it out in Prague anymore!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
It has been pretty bad - the wind is as good as gone, it's just the aftermath everyone's dealing with at the moment,.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Just got word that DB is suspending all distance trains in Germany.
It was reported several hours ago that all DB services in NRW were stopped - which of course had consequences for trains to/from other regions, both within Germany and internationally.

NS cannot determine yet when services will run again. I expect there is a lot of damage to overhead lines, and other assorted debris on the tracks.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:16 am

NS just announced that services will be suspended until after the evening rush hour.. meanwhile Schiphol announced it's almost completely back up and running.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Deicing at AMS is a joke.
Agreed. Last night's flight KL1551 to LBA (Leeds Bradford) had to queue for deicing, resulting in Leeds airport being closed by the time the flight was approaching. Diverted to East Midlands airport and passengers were taken by bus to LBA, arriving at 2.55am, five hours late. Complete shambles.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:40 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I’d say that is grounds for compensation. Deicing is nothing extraordinary so they should have taken that into account.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Might as well try. If it's particularly back-and-forth with regards to them claiming innocence, I'd get AirHelp or a comparable legal help on it and hope for the best.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
My good wife and I were flying to Nuremburg via Amsterdam on Friday from Aberdeen. Our first flight was due to leave Aberdeen at 06:00 in the morning which gave us ample time in Amsterdam to catch our Nurenburg flight leaving at 10:05. However, when we checked in we were told our Amsterdam flight had been delayed until 07:10 and this mean we had been rebooked on later Nurenburg flight from AMS leaving at approx 17:40. This meant we would arrive in Nuremburg approx 6 hours later than we should have.

When we boarded rde first flight pilot told us the delay was due to their late arrival night before thus meaning they had to delay until they got full rest time. We landed in Amsterdam earlier than expected so my wife and I made a quick dash to the NUE gatecat B4. No big queues at Schengen passport control so went through very quickly and made it to gate. Nice lady at desk understood our situation and managed to get us on the earlier flight (as per our original booking) and we made it to Nurenburg before lunchtime.

However, if we had waited for the later flight as per our new tickets issued in the morning at Aberdeen, would we have been liable for 500 Euro compensation between us? Gent I talked to in upmarket Irish bar in Nurenburg said the delay would have been caused by bad KLM planning in not having suitably rested crew in place and therefore compensation would have been paid but I am not sure,

Last edited by Billyfergus; Jan 21, 2018 at 3:17 am
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
However, if we had waited for the later flight as per our new tickets issued in the morning at Aberdeen, would we have been liable for 500 Euro compensation between us? Gent I talked to in upmarket Irish bar in Nurenburg said the delay would have been caused by bad KLM planning in not having suitably rested crew in place and therefore compensation would have been paid but I am not sure,
I doubt that. If their late arrival at Aberdeen was caused by weather, that weather and thus "circumstances beyond control" would be the root cause of your delayed departure. I cannot imagine "bad planning" would be an excuse for that, as that would mean that airlines would always need to have a backup crew available at each and every overnight outstation, which cannot be reasonably expected. And if that backup was to be introduced, it would massively increase operating cost for airlines - which you and me would eventually have to cover anyway.

So no, I think this would not have given you any compensation if you would have (deliberately or not) "enjoyed" an extra long layour at AMS.

Last edited by KL895; Jan 21, 2018 at 5:43 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It all depends, as mentioned, by the delay into Aberdeen. If it was a mechanical issue, yes, you'd have the right to compensation. If weather, probably not.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
Agreed. Last night's flight KL1551 to LBA (Leeds Bradford) had to queue for deicing, resulting in Leeds airport being closed by the time the flight was approaching. Diverted to East Midlands airport and passengers were taken by bus to LBA, arriving at 2.55am, five hours late. Complete shambles.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I’d say that is grounds for compensation. Deicing is nothing extraordinary so they should have taken that into account.
After filling in the online form with brief details, I got a reply within four days confirming that compensation as per EU regulation 261/2004 would be paid. Happy with both the content and the speed of the response; I guess that Platinum members jump the queue a bit.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1˝ hours late into AMS today, due to late incoming aircraft.

What happened? A wintry shower caused deicing chaos at AMS. Purser described it as a shambles. He (and I, as you all know by now) couldn't understand why they always make a heck of a mess at AMS.

Any number of pax on board missed their connections (including several longhauls), others had to make a run for it. The promised assistance at the arrival gate was nowhere to be seen.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.