Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So instead of settling down to enjoy a pierogi at home in WAW tonight, you will instead be settling down to enjoy....hmmm, what's an Amsterdam specialty that starts with a "p"?

Got it - pannenkoeken!

(PS - safe travels!)
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
There seem to have more delays and cancellations than usual at AMS this year. Fog, especially at this time of year, has always been a risk but wind issues seem more pronounced. Is there an obvious reason for the problems apart from maybe the airport handling significantly more flights and so having less flexibility.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
So instead of settling down to enjoy a pierogi at home in WAW tonight, you will instead be settling down to enjoy....hmmm, what's an Amsterdam specialty that starts with a "p"?

Got it - pannenkoeken!

(PS - safe travels!)
Nearly 4 hours late and, adding to misery, logging on to FT to see irishguy28 taking the mickey On that note, I got rebooked on to the last flight at 8:20PM and enjoying a glass of red in the lounge as we speak P.S.: the Mrs has already been instructed to hang fire with my pierogi dinner

G
Carel1 and Lewis42 like this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; May 16, 2019 at 6:44 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Nearly 4 hours late and, adding to misery, logging on to FT to see irishguy28 taking the mickey On that note, I got rebooked on to the last flight at 8:20PM and enjoying a glass of red in the lounge as we speak P.S.: the Mrs has already been instructed to hang fire with my pierogi dinner

G
Enjoy!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42
Enjoy!
Cheers Lewis

G
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Flying AF188 instead of KL887... enough time for a dinner trip to Paris downtown. Everything has its benefits...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

G
The glass in that photo looks like it's levitating, it really does! I had to look at it several times to actually get the reality of the photo.
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ardecos
maybe the airport handling significantly more flights and so having less flexibility.
I think that's it. Shortage of gates, shortage of remote stands, shortage of taxiways, shortage of runways (despite having six!), that disaster called security, you name it.

They other week colleagues of mine spent an hour on the plane after landing waiting for a gate or remote stand to become available. That kind of thing is only supposed to happen at US airports.

Johan
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:43 am
SK

Exclamation

It looks like caught in the midst of falling over to me, since only the back of its base seems to be touching the tablet of the seat. But levitating is also another possibility!

What is "the reality of the photo"? I am not able to interpret it as a stable situation...

Originally Posted by Concerto
The glass in that photo looks like it's levitating, it really does! I had to look at it several times to actually get the reality of the photo.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
In fact, I find photos like this most interesting, because they distort the reality we have been preconditioned to expect. It is, after all, just a 2 dimensional image. But my very first impression was that the wooden plate was part of the floor and there was a huge glass of wine on it, perhaps some weird commercial. Then my second take, once the brain had created the appropriate 3D context for the wooden plate, was that the glass was levitating.

Wonderful way to keep your mind off delayed flights and a mess of irrops at the airport! The posting of this picture was a master stroke of understatement of on-topic genius, designed to help those involved to pass the time during their delays.

Seriously, I've never had an irrop or major delay at AMS (except for eternal taxiing), but I can't think of a better airport to be delayed in (without lounge access, of course).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
It does!

SAS Diamond card holders possess magical abilities!!!
Unionruler likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
They other week colleagues of mine spent an hour on the plane after landing waiting for a gate or remote stand to become available. That kind of thing is only supposed to happen at US airports.

Johan
And Canadian airports, when a big French bird drops in unexpectedly!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: FB Gold
KL1959 (and maybe others) was canceled today. Which turned out to be very good for me because I got rebooked CDG-ZRH on AF direct flight instead of the detour via AMS. Arrived home almost 5 hours ahead schedule
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by KL803
Arrived home almost 5 hours ahead schedule
According to regulation 162CE you owe AFKL a reverse compensation of 250€.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Amsterdam - Unfavourable wind conditions expected.

Due to unfavourable wind conditions expected in Amsterdam on Thursday 05 October 2017, some of our flight schedules to, from or via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol may be disrupted
"

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.