Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by PeteM01
Currently in the airport Hilton as a consequence of missing my connection last night. The pilot claimed the inward (KLM) flight was delayed because of problems in the morning that had messed up the flight schedules for the rest of the day. And Friday was just a normal, no-strike day...
My claim for compensation has been refused because of ‘air traffic control’ issues. According to the pilot, the original delay occurred in the morning and we were flying in the early evening (KL1774). Is there any point in requesting the evidence that KLM are using to deny the claim?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PeteM01
Is there any point in requesting the evidence that KLM are using to deny the claim?
I would have one of the claims agencies look into it, they have access to plenty of data. They also take a hefty cut, but then again, they do all the work.

Johan
PeteM01 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The union representing ground staff is planning a 4-hour strike sometime the coming week. The exact date will be announced two days in advance.

Johan
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Strike will be this Wednesday between 13h and 17h.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Oh, good. I was worried it would turn out to be Thursday. I have a flight out which connects to a separate ticket. Long transfer, but still.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
I have zero respect for workers going on strike to disrupt PAYING customers. 2 important flights scheduled this week luckily not on wednesday but a reason I try to avoid AF often for short tight schedule meetings is the changes of strikes. if KLM goes same route I'll be looking to move my loyalty.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I’m on a KLM flight leaving Wednesday at 12:05. Hope KLM will not cancel flights upfront.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xizm
Hope KLM will not cancel flights upfront.
That's what they did first time round. Then they tried allowing pax to travel with hand bagage only. In both instances the result was a huge mess.

Johan
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut
if KLM goes same route I'll be looking to move my loyalty.
to where ? Most airlines in Europe have suffered from strikes during the last years.
Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting those strikes at all. But I am just playing the devil's advocate. If you are trying to find a way of transportation that never goes on strike, I think driving your own car is the only solution.
Xizm and HalconBCN like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
AF, BA in the past. KL now.. Lufthansa soon... it is part of the EU Airlines... and off course the air traffic controllers are not happy with their 200k euro salaries so that will come too... again.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
KLM ground staff planning strike 18 Sept for about 4h midday, effecting only European flights. Message I received from KLM stated that flights arriving / departing Schipol between 1200 and 1700 (I may be off a bit, but effectively this) would not be allowed to check bags and that all carry-ons would be limited.
As I was flying VCE-AMS-USA on a DL ticket (006 ticket stock), I called the DL DM line and had a very helpful agent take care of rebooking me on AF via CDG: it took a bit of doing, but it was helpful. Not sure if it would work on KL or AF tickets though.
Good luck and have patience everyone!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now rail travel to and from AMS has been disrupted due to damaged tracks. Delays and cancelations until tomorrow morning.

Johan
Xizm likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut
I have zero respect for workers going on strike to disrupt PAYING customers.
Strikes are annoying for flyers but workers don't just go on strike for a whim. Strikes mean a loss of income, so they are usually done as a last resort. If a conflict escalates to a strike, management are the ones who need to assume responsibility for not keeping their employees happy.
Personally I do have respect for workers who go on strike for genuine reasons, such as salaries that do not keep pace with the cost of living.
Lawrious likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
to where ? Most airlines in Europe have suffered from strikes during the last years.
Don't get me wrong, I am not supporting those strikes at all. But I am just playing the devil's advocate. If you are trying to find a way of transportation that never goes on strike, I think driving your own car is the only solution.

True, that's why besides flying I drive 35K-40K Miles a year in my company car
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TATLTAIL
flights arriving / departing Schipol between 1200 and 1700 would not be allowed to check bags
All shorthaul flights with STD/STA between 12h45 and 17h00.

KL has now also canceled a dozen AMS departures tomorrow. They did the same thing the first time, but ended up canceling at total of 28. That strike lasted two hours, tomorrow's will be twice as long . . . .

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.