Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Loran
I really don't want to fly in my hiking boots from the US.
But this would help you when navigating the large distances between gates at Schiphol

Particularly now that many of the travelators are out of service at any one time!
Loran and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Particularly now that many of the travelators are out of service at any one time!
I sense a business opportunity here for all those companies renting out e-scooters.

If they can make any number of cities unsafe for pedestrians, success at AMS is guaranteed.

Johan
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: FB plat for life
To do justice to the title of this thread, today they towed an Easyjet plane into one of KLM....

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2084...te-op-schiphol
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by pjhartog
To do justice to the title of this thread, today they towed an Easyjet plane into one of KLM....

The article states it was the other way around, so the KLM plane towed into one of Easyjet.

AMSTERDAM - Twee vliegtuigen zijn dinsdagochtend op Schiphol op het platform tegen elkaar gebotst. Het gaat om een KLM-toestel met bestemming Madrid, dat achteruit van de gate werd geduwd om op te stijgen.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Xandrios
This, years after the introduction of EC on short-haul, still pisses me off. The comfort of FFs (even if only Golds or Silvers) is neglected to save effort on the gate/checkin agent's part. And it is done systematically so, by official KLM policy.

The only reason left for me to fly KL is schedule. And in those cases I pay for EC. In all other cases I fly the competition - having *A Gold I have the luxury to choose. And frankly, *A is often (a lot) cheaper too. Now with the new *A lounge at AMS there is no reason to not choose A3, LH or LX over KLM.

All that boils down to me having shifted most of my traveling away from KL. So who's the real loser here..me or KL? I guess that depends on how you look at it.
Interesting view. I have got so fed up the Lufthansa monopoly, the dire state of Miles & More, the crapification of service on Lufthansa Group airlines, that I have gone over to Air France KLM. I think it is easier to maintain status on FB, once you've got it, than it is on M&M. I'm generally pretty happy at AFKL, as an elite plus I think one is treated ok.

And I am clearly lucky: I haven't been bedeviled by the mess in Amsterdam yet. So far I seem to have avoided most irrops and delays.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by arjen05
The article states it was the other way around, so the KLM plane towed into one of Easyjet.
I think they both 'pushedback' into one another? It's ground's fault on the radio to be honest.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
Interesting view. I have got so fed up the Lufthansa monopoly, the dire state of Miles & More, the crapification of service on Lufthansa Group airlines, that I have gone over to Air France KLM. I think it is easier to maintain status on FB, once you've got it, than it is on M&M. I'm generally pretty happy at AFKL, as an elite plus I think one is treated ok.

And I am clearly lucky: I haven't been bedeviled by the mess in Amsterdam yet. So far I seem to have avoided most irrops and delays.
Slightly offtopic, but I was not specifically talking about M&M. In fact I'm not a member of that programme so I wouldn't really know. I'm using A3 FFP and I do think that its similar to FB regarding (re)qualification..I find it quite easy to maintain.

I'd agree that with KLM things are OK. Nothing extremely bad, nothing great. I don't like the nickle-and-dime culture that is starting to develop, and the food on medium-haul does not compare well to other airlines...but the fare pricing is what generally makes me choose *A. KLM is often massively more expensive than other airlines on the same routes...at least the ones I often fly.
Another thing is upgrading an European economy fare on KLM for example: It will be hundreds of euros, or, ~100 euro at check in if you are lucky. With LX you can 'add on' a business upgrade for 2 legs, at time of booking, for ~70 euro. Which includes increased mileage. That I like...and it is something that AFKL cannot beat in my opinion.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jul 9, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawrious
I think they both 'pushedback' into one another? It's ground's fault on the radio to be honest.
Yes, it happened during pushback of both planes - which is a very different thing than saying that one or both planes was/were towed (= pulled forward) into the other!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawrious
I enjoyed the new normal at AMS last week.

The weather at both ends was fine, the incoming aircraft was a few minutes early, pax boarded in good time, yet due to "congestion" we pushed back 15 minutes late. An optimistic captain announced we would make up for lost time, and then just before arrival gave us some more good news: we would have a very short taxi to our gate. Hmm . . .

We landed on 36R, did a u-turn to the D-gates, and came to a full stop. A KLM 737 and a Delta 777 had just been pushed back in such a way that both would have to taxi out all the way around the remote E stands. They were also positioned in such a way that they completely blocked access to seven vacant gates while they spooled up their engines etc.. A tug towing a KL 777 to one of those gates was blocked on the one side, we on the other. Couldn't see how many planes were behind us.

Needless to say, we ended up with a longer delay than on departure, not making up for it.

AMS is a chronic mess.

Johan
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I enjoyed the new normal at AMS last week.

The weather at both ends was fine, the incoming aircraft was a few minutes early, pax boarded in good time, yet due to "congestion" we pushed back 15 minutes late. An optimistic captain announced we would make up for lost time, and then just before arrival gave us some more good news: we would have a very short taxi to our gate. Hmm . . .

We landed on 36R, did a u-turn to the D-gates, and came to a full stop. A KLM 737 and a Delta 777 had just been pushed back in such a way that both would have to taxi out all the way around the remote E stands. They were also positioned in such a way that they completely blocked access to seven vacant gates while they spooled up their engines etc.. A tug towing a KL 777 to one of those gates was blocked on the one side, we on the other. Couldn't see how many planes were behind us.

Needless to say, we ended up with a longer delay than on departure, not making up for it.

AMS is a chronic mess.

Johan
Ouch, not good now that we are coming up to busy holiday periods.

Although, despite the busy Schengen gates for my flights on Sunday (HUY-AMS-VCE), and my very tight 40 minute connection, my baggage happened to arrive with me all okay. I honestly thought that it would not make it given the recent AMS baggage fiasco.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Real shame about the mess, delays and silly things like the Delta plane and the tug blocking the way. I find KLM very useful for connecting to regional destinations in the UK.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by pjhartog

And here is a recording of the incident from the tower. They thought easyJet was leaving from an M gate...
irishguy28, caliform and Boturham like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
And here is a recording of the incident from the tower. They thought easyJet was leaving from an M gate...
Although the Easyjet pilot/groundhandler calls in immediately before the clearance for pushback is given reporting his gate as D25...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
While unfortunate, I wouldn't call it a mess. Accidents happen. I've been through the airport a half dozen times in the last few weeks and it was pretty fine. Regular secondaries for my camera gear (as is the norm), but on-time departures.
Boturham likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Buitenveldertbaan (09/27) is closed for maintenance this week.

I assume the airport has good reasons for picking the busy summer season to do this.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.