Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Old May 26, 2019, 4:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
They also 'requested airlines' to make fewer flights. Yeah, that'll work.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Good luck to everyone on the 28th
Boturham likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue
KLM is offering free rebooking for flights to and from AMS. You can do it via manage my booking online. FYI
Old May 27, 2019, 7:07 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest, BT Exec
What about the possible strike of security screening staff at Schiphol tomorrow - I just received a warning message from my TA? Mother of all the messes?
Old May 27, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Originally Posted by TTL
What about the possible strike of security screening staff at Schiphol tomorrow - I just received a warning message from my TA? Mother of all the messes?
That's Wednesday
https://www.upinthesky.nl/2019/05/27...n-op-schiphol/

because screwing over the public for one day isn't enough. This one is only 66 minutes though
Old May 28, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caliform
They also 'requested airlines' to make fewer flights. Yeah, that'll work.
Apparently around 80 flights were cancelled. I wonder what the chances of getting EU compensation for that - a strike in public transport should not have an effect on flights surely.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hotels.com Silver,
Schiphol update- Landed and got my luggage at around 10.30am.. other than less trains running, line to rentals it wasnt as bad as everyone was panicking .. unless it got worse. Waiting time for Uber in my case was longer than usual having had two of them cancel on me, but otherwise no issues to report in my case.

Old May 28, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I took a train from Brussels to Bruges this morning, then got in a taxi to go to my hotel. The driver asked if I would be going to the Netherlands today or tomorrow, I had no idea why he would mention it. I told him I'm taking a train to AMS airport on Thursday and a flight to Vienna that evening. That's when he told me about the rail strike and that taxi drivers from Bruges are taking people to Schiphol. I asked him what that would cost, he said €500! I noted there were 6 seats in his van. I'll be keeping a close watch on all this. Yikes.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
on Thursday things should be normal - the strike ends tonight/early tomorrow - so some aftermath to be expected for Wed - but don't be tricked by cab drivers !
Old May 28, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: KL Plat, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold ex-UA 1k, ex-AA Plat, ex-QF Gold, ex IHG P
Originally Posted by Mirk
If anyone gets stuck overnight in AMS, the guidelines KLM has for reimbursement are the following if you don't want to wait for vouchers & co:
  • 190 EUR for the hotel
  • 25 EUR for food
  • 50 EUR for transport
Interesting they have just approved a EUR 349 overnight stay as well as EUR 90 for food (flight cancelled, rebooked following day).
Old May 28, 2019, 1:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
FWIW those tend to be higher for elites.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Things were not as bad as predicted. Had a reasonable fare pre-booked cab, and built in hours of slack. In the end there was no traffic jam at all on the main highways, only the last few 100 meters of road to departures to were busy and slow. In the end it took me 40 minutes where a train (or a car without any traffic jam) would have costed 30.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Dianne47
I took a train from Brussels to Bruges this morning, then got in a taxi to go to my hotel. The driver asked if I would be going to the Netherlands today or tomorrow, I had no idea why he would mention it. I told him I'm taking a train to AMS airport on Thursday and a flight to Vienna that evening. That's when he told me about the rail strike and that taxi drivers from Bruges are taking people to Schiphol. I asked him what that would cost, he said 500! I noted there were 6 seats in his van. I'll be keeping a close watch on all this. Yikes.
Indeed, like PJHartog indicates, no worries, Wed there may be still a bit of fallout since they start up only at 4am, but Thu everything will be normal. Don't fall for such tricks.
Old May 28, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
With the one note - I must add - that Thursday is a public holiiday - Ascension Day - so trains might run a bit less frequently than normally on Thursdays. But the online schedule should reflect that properly !
Old May 28, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gdoubleu
Interesting they have just approved a EUR 349 overnight stay as well as EUR 90 for food (flight cancelled, rebooked following day).
Originally Posted by caliform
FWIW those tend to be higher for elites.
The reason I know those is because they replied that they would exceptionally approve my claim for 330 as I'm an elite member but those were the usual thresholds for reimbursements in such situation.
caliform likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.