Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.
ZRH too
Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.
AMS has a dedicated place for it (where they can collect the fluids that don't stick to the plane), it's just that Schiphol doesn't provide the actual de-icing service. Instead they focus on keeping the taxiways and runways clear; making sure planes don't fall out of the sky is the responsibility of the airlines.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CyBeR
AMS has a dedicated place for it.
Except for technical de-icing, which is done at the gate or stand.

General de-icing at the J apron is the responsibility of Snowdesk and his sidekick Iceman.

Johan
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
What is technical de-icing?

I was used to a remote stand for de-icing, but then again I used to fly KLM mostly in the past. This time was a *A airline, and de-icing was at the gate.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
What is technical de-icing?
"Technical de-icing (landing gear, brakes, inside LE- or TE-flaps, under wing, engine inlets, fan blades and sensors/ static ports/ pitot probes) requires de-icing at the gate or on the parking stand, supervised by an Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT). The aircraft operator is responsible for providing an AMT. In case regular de-icing is still required, this will be performed at the remote positions."

Source
(including everything you always wanted to know about Snowdesk and Iceman).

Johan
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visibility at AMS this morning is 162 meters, according to the Dutch weather office.

Yikes!

Johan
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Visibility at AMS this morning is 162 meters, according to the Dutch weather office.

Yikes!

Johan
Looking outside the window I can confirm it is about right
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:08 am

This morning according to KNMI, visibility is "less than 200m", looking outside the window I would say it is more like 30-40m at best... http://knmi.nl/nederland-nu/weer/waa.../noord-holland
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Yesterday it was apparently windy at AMS and because of maintenance on one runway this caused lots of delays.
I came in from GVA on KL1934 - landed about 50 mins after scheduled arrival time to come to a stop at the Apron. Captain announced that our gate was unavailable and that it would take at least 15 more before we would continue and that he was on the phone with 'the company' to sort this all out. Again 20 mins later another PA announcement that for then we were still to wait. I asked the purser why we could not bus to the terminal, but all bus drivers were gone home (10pm) since there were not more buses needed that day...
In the end it took more than 1 hour before we could proceed to the gate and then another 30 mins for the luggage to make it.
Real bad performance - and KLM told me it was air traffic control's responsibility to assign gates and beyond their control.
I urge KLM to complain about this - embarrassing and annoying !
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by pjhartog
Yesterday it was apparently windy at AMS and because of maintenance on one runway this caused lots of delays.
I came in from GVA on KL1934 - landed about 50 mins after scheduled arrival time to come to a stop at the Apron. Captain announced that our gate was unavailable and that it would take at least 15 more before we would continue and that he was on the phone with 'the company' to sort this all out. Again 20 mins later another PA announcement that for then we were still to wait. I asked the purser why we could not bus to the terminal, but all bus drivers were gone home (10pm) since there were not more buses needed that day...
In the end it took more than 1 hour before we could proceed to the gate and then another 30 mins for the luggage to make it.
Real bad performance - and KLM told me it was air traffic control's responsibility to assign gates and beyond their control.
I urge KLM to complain about this - embarrassing and annoying !
My flight from Berlin was also cancelled, because of the wind and a the maintenance on one runway. I got a flight the next day. KLM told us to book a hotel by ourself.

Can I get any compensation (beside the hotel) from KLM? Like the compensation for cancelled flights?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
No. Weather is considered an exceptional circumstance, for which no compensation is due.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
Captain announced that our gate was unavailable
And not a single vacant gate to be found after 10 p.m.?

Amazing!

Johan
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Amsterdam was incredibly busy at that time on Monday due to all of the delays (almost no flights were listed as being on time on the screens). My flight was "on time" on the screens for a 21:45 departure, but at 21:15 we were told at the boarding gate that there was no crew available. The pilots arrived soon after that announcement, and the cabin crew arrived at about 21:40 (just before scheduled take off time) at which point they started boarding, once fully boarded we were not allowed to take off for over an hour due to congestion at the airport. We ended up taking off 80 minutes late.
So it doesn't really surprise me that no suitable gates were available due to the backlog of flights waiting at the gates.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: FB plat for life
That was indeed the case - but to send away the bus drivers when there is still lots of overdue traffic seems a bit stupid - certainly if they know what still has to come and go.

Along these lines, on Dec 30 we arrived with 2 hours delay and then the luggage took almost one hour. I asked the KL staff and they said that the luggage handling staff was running on minimal staffing, given the time of day (11p) and the limited need at that time. But there were lots of belts still in use and lots of people from delayed flights waiting for a loooong time. So again, they could anticipate on this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pea-soup fog at AMS this morning, visibility currently 65 meters.

Flightstats delay index currently at the maximum 5.0 = excessive delays.

An interesting day may well lie ahead.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.