Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visibility at AMS at 7 o'clock this morning: 73 meters.

That's lower than anywhere else in the Netherlands, which is very foggy today except for the northern coast and Southern Limburg.

Johan
Attached Images  
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reports have it that AMS has been closed to all traffic due to an ATC failure described as a "communications shutdown".

No aircraft can depart, incoming flights are being diverted or held at the airport of departure.

Edit: problem resolved after 45 minutes, or an hour. Reports vary. Airport open again for departures only, still no incoming flights. This should royally screw up everything for the rest of the afternoon.

From Schiphol.nl :

Flight traffic status
Last update: 15 August 2018, 13:53, Amsterdam
At this moment, there is no incoming flight traffic at our airport. Outgoing flight traffic is starting up again. Air traffic control is investigating this matter. We will keep you updated.

Johan
arjen05, Layh and Zarmakuizz like this.

Last edited by johan rebel; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And here we go again:

AMS ATC is once more experiencing comms problems, which had led to a reduction in the number of arrivals and departures that can be handled.

A quick look at arrivals shows that almost all incoming flights are delayed this evening, mostly an hour or more. Not quite as bad on the departures side, but the flood of late incoming aircraft may yet change that.

Johan
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
They've mentioned that this has nothing to do with two weeks ago..
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:30 am

I'll use this thread for a little rant.

Friday evening, had the full AMS arrival experience: landed on the Polderbaan; waited 30+ minutes for luggage with priority tagged come out last; staff put strollers on the odd-size belt but "forgot" to turn it on, we had to ask several employees to please call the belt staff, we could see our luggage behind the curtain; took the damn bus to P3. I suppose at least I didn't have to clear immigration.

A total of 90 minutes from touchdown to the car. Ridiculous.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a normal Schiphol experience.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It's a shame it's become like an English airport. It used to be a model of efficiency and I still find it a nice airport to transfer in.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:18 pm

Hi Concerto :-) Remember the BRN BSL days?

I am just glad this is just an old thread revived. For a second I got scared about my flight suffering from delays, 2cm snow in September ... Nowadays why not.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
That sucks.

I don't think it has ever taken me that long at any airport even on those occasions I've had checked bags or had to take a shuttle to a nearby hotel.

Johan
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by f4free
Hi Concerto :-) Remember the BRN BSL days?

I am just glad this is just an old thread revived. For a second I got scared about my flight suffering from delays, 2cm snow in September ... Nowadays why not.
You know, I'll never forget that Bern-Basel ping pong starting at 6 in the morning and going through to 10pm. I'm really glad I did it, never done anything like it since. Then, everything was a model of efficiency. Things have changed a lot since then. The security guy looked at me like a spaceman as I rolled back into Bern 4 times that day. I did 2 assisted landings with the pilot and co-pilot that day. And it was post September 11th, only just!
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'll use this thread for a little rant.

Friday evening, had the full AMS arrival experience: landed on the Polderbaan; waited 30+ minutes for luggage with priority tagged come out last; staff put strollers on the odd-size belt but "forgot" to turn it on, we had to ask several employees to please call the belt staff, we could see our luggage behind the curtain; took the damn bus to P3. I suppose at least I didn't have to clear immigration.

Not too far off from my experience this morning, landed about ~20 minutes early and even avoided Polderbaan just to make up for it waiting for luggage, first bag was on the belt 45 minutes after doors were opened! (and 17 minutes later than the time indicated on the screen...)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:23 am

And there we go again... https://www.schiphol.nl/en/messages/...september-21st
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:48 am

Not easy finding a seat in lounge 52 at the moment!
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it is not even that windy in AMS.

Currently 13 m/s from the west, which is just a tad more than the average since midnight.

Johan
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
It's been mildly blustery at best. Have seen windier days for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.