Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
It may be the biggest client so but that does not necessarily translate in capacity to influence.
KLM and Schiphol have had a love-hate relationship for ages. The previous Schiphol CEO Jos Nijhuis was extremely unpopular with KLM. They seem to get along a bit better with the current one, Dick Benschop.

One thing KLM has dreamed of for many years is a concourse of their very own (I believe they had E in mind), but Schiphol has always told them to keep dreaming.

One of KL's former RoyalWing lounges was located in the fork of the D concourse, pretty much an ideal location. Why they relinquished it I do not know.

Emirates very much wants a lounge of its own in the G concourse, a wish that KLM has done its very best to stymie.

Will be intereresting to see what lounge plans they have for the new A concourse. Very far from the current Schengen lounge, and as it will be handling both narrow and widebody aircraft, it will serve both Schengen and non-Schengen destinations.

Johan
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
D: Do you have a source for this? I like the F lounges it's usually quiet downstairs and there is about 5 seconds walk time to the gate. That would be a real bummer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/cecilia.../#195ceea47916

At the end of 2020, we will open an iconic unique lounge at terminal 2F in Paris CDG with two levels which will deserve Schengen and French domestic destinations.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Thanks for the article.

Quotation is a bit vague. Could be the "unique" in the generic sense (extraordinary, very special) rather than the gallicism (the only one). Wonder what's so special about it given that both F lounges already have 2 levels...

If I remember correctly they were doing extensive construction works between concourse E and F a few months ago, so maybe that's part of what they are building? I for one would miss the current location if they shut down the F lounges. Maybe they are trying to make more space for the gates (let's face it, it's crowded) or maybe they will try maximize profits and fit more shops for paying customers and build a lounge with less capacity further away Guess we'll find out!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
D: Do you have a source for this? I like the F lounges it's usually quiet downstairs and there is about 5 seconds walk time to the gate. That would be a real bummer
This is old news. It has been decided at least 3 years ago. Construction has started. Details are in the lounge thread of the AF sub-forum
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088392-post857.html
Mirk likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the article.
Quotation is a bit vague. Could be the "unique" in the generic sense (extraordinary, very special) rather than the gallicism (the only one). Wonder what's so special about it given that both F lounges already have 2 levels...
They are building a new single larger lounge to replace the 2 current ones which are overcrowded and too small for the amount of traffic they have.

If I remember correctly they were doing extensive construction works between concourse E and F a few months ago, so maybe that's part of what they are building? I for one would miss the current location if they shut down the F lounges. Maybe they are trying to make more space for the gates (let's face it, it's crowded) or maybe they will try maximize profits and fit more shops for paying customers and build a lounge with less capacity further away Guess we'll find out!
E is not a concourse but a terminal with 3 concourses : K, L and M. I am not sure what kind of construction you are referring to between E and F as there is the road between those. The new 2F lounge is between the 2 boarding piers in front of the main security check point. I posted some pictures in the link I included in my previous post. You will for sure recognize the area.
The new lounge will have more capacity than the sum of the 2 current ones. This is clearly the objective. It is very frequent at peak times in morning and evening to not have any seat available.
Andy82 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue
KLM will get their own gates and super lounges when Schiphol builds piers K L M in 2045. And then we will be flying in their own developed V shaped plane. Air France has collapsed and KLM will have a second super hub in Paris.

Probably not...
Mirk, caliform and Solevita like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: dl platinum
What is the status on showers? How many will there be once done?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evanr81
How many will there be once done?
20, of which one will be reserved for the exclusive use of Ultimates.

Johan
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Got to try the lounge for the first time during a long layover. It’s aesthetically pleasing with the multi-level layout and memorabilia cases. Food, drinks, coffee, and service all good. Lots of plug in points. At around 8:30AM, it was mobbed with no tables to be found. Showers were about 2 hours wait. The self-service lockers came in very handy. We locked up our bags, hopped on the train, checked out the city for a few hours, came back to the lounge around 3pm. Not as busy at this time. Showers were available within minutes at the Mercure. Meatballs, hummus, Heineken, all great. The KLM business class experience onboard was mediocre but the lounge is pretty fantastic when it’s not the peak period.
Boturham likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I was in it last week again, it really is starting to look a bit run down ! When they designed those glass walls with the houses by the escalators they obviously didn't think of cleaning them ! toilets were partly closed for repairs and stained floors. I think next time I'll use the Schengen one before heading to the gate, not that the food is any better !
I'm starting to like going through CDG more
psollitt and HalconBCN like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninjalad
they obviously didn't think of cleaning them
One gets the impression that the whole lounge is one of these form over function designs. A very common obsession that afflicts architects and interior designers in particular.

Johan
mikem004 and Thysk like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I was at the CDG L lounge on an 8 hour layover last week and I reflected on how much nicer a space it is than the Crown lounge. The L lounge has an optimal size, good lighting, varied furniture arrangements, two food serving points (with a great selection of food; everything fresh), a relaxing day nap area with soothing lighting and to top it all off, the chance to take a spa and sauna! I saw a group of professionals being given a tour of the lounge; they were scribbling on notebooks and taking dozens of pictures, so I imagine they were professionals involved in lounge design. Learning from best practice.
Indeed, KLM could have learned from its sister airline AF's success but instead it has overengineered its flagship lounge to focus on something customers never really wanted (a paid restuarant). The design looked good on the architects' mock up (we were promised the lounge of the future) but in reality the end product is uninspiring and overcrowded. Next time, KLM will have to recruit AF to design its lounges!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
I was at the CDG L lounge on an 8 hour layover last week and I reflected on how much nicer a space it is than the Crown lounge. The L lounge has an optimal size, good lighting, varied furniture arrangements, two food serving points (with a great selection of food; everything fresh), a relaxing day nap area with soothing lighting and to top it all off, the chance to take a spa and sauna! I saw a group of professionals being given a tour of the lounge; they were scribbling on notebooks and taking dozens of pictures, so I imagine they were professionals involved in lounge design. Learning from best practice.
Indeed, KLM could have learned from its sister airline AF's success but instead it has overengineered its flagship lounge to focus on something customers never really wanted (a paid restuarant). The design looked good on the architects' mock up (we were promised the lounge of the future) but in reality the end product is uninspiring and overcrowded. Next time, KLM will have to recruit AF to design its lounges!
I have yet to try the new non-Schengen KL lounge in AMS, but I cannot agree more with you about the AF CDG L lounge : a superb realization. ^
Zembla likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have yet to try the new non-Schengen KL lounge in AMS, but I cannot agree more with you about the AF CDG L lounge : a superb realization. ^
And the CDG M lounge is absolutely brilliant too.
caliform and tomauk like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Noticing now that some constructions have begun in the Schengen Lounge right by the entrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.