Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawrious
I would guess you do not. However, the restaurant's menu looks very pretentious to me. I do not mind that, although, it does immediately alienate people unfamiliar with the flavours and textures on offer.
It seems to me that the style of the menu is coherent with the prices they charge. It is slanted towards fine dining and it does not strike me as particularly pretentious if you take it as that. If you expect a more rustic, "value for money" type of offering, then you may well find it "pretentious" but this would not be the market segment that Blue is targeting anyway. Whether it is the right market segment to target in an airport setting such as Schiphol is a different matter.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I think you mean passengers without lounge access?
No, all pax with lounge access, whereas it was previously for pax traveling in J only.

Issue 510 of Zakenreis features an interview with Boet Kreiken, Excutive VP Customer Experience, about the new lounge and restaurant.

A few highlights:
  • When fully operational, the new lounge will have a seating capacity of 1,500. KL expects that azt least 10-15% of the seats will be vacant at any given time.
  • The Blue restaurant/bar/terrace concept is based on thorough research, which apparently shows that loyal customers are more than happy to for such a unique high-end experience.
  • Each table in the restaurant comes a "private butler". Seating capacity is 65.
  • The entire menu is available all day long, so patrons can have breakfast at 9 p.m. if they so desire.
  • Starting sometime this summer, it will be possible to pay for Blue food and Blue drinks with FB miles.
  • The free buffet in the nether regions of the lounge is fantastic: lots of choice, and everything is very fresh.

• Johan
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I think you mean passengers without lounge access?
No, all pax with lounge access, whereas it was previously for pax traveling in J only.

Issue #510 of Zakenreis features an interview with Boet Kreiken, Excutive VP Customer Experience, about the new lounge and restaurant.

A few highlights:

- When fully operational, the new lounge will have a seating capacity of 1,500. KL expects that at least 10-15% of the seats will be vacant at any given time.

- The Blue restaurant/bar/terrace concept is based on thorough research, which apparently shows that loyal customers are more than happy to pay for such a unique high-end experience.

- Each table in the restaurant comes a "private butler". Seating capacity is 65.

- The entire menu is available all day long, so patrons can have breakfast at 9 p.m. if they so desire.

- Starting sometime this summer, it will be possible to pay for Blue food and Blue drinks with (Flying) Blue miles.

- The free buffet for stingy guests in the nether regions of the lounge is simply fantastic: lots of choice, and everything is very fresh.

- Out of 20 showers, one will be reserved for the exclusive use of FB Platinum Ultimate members.

Johan
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt
I asked the question who are the architects , was told they are not allowed to give that information due to commercial interest issues , which sounds bonkers!
Of course it is bonkers.

The lounge was designed by an outfit called Concrete Architects. For some reason, that name reminds me of the Atlantikwall.

Johan
Fabo.sk, Giantlonglegs and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
- When fully operational, the new lounge will have a seating capacity of 1,500. KL expects that at least 10-15% of the seats will be vacant at any given time.
A good way of getting maximum capacity; at any given time 30% of the lounge occupants will be on their feet in various queues!

- Out of 20 showers, one will be reserved for the exclusive use of FB Platinum Ultimate members.
Plain old FB Platinums will be tasked by lounge staff with the cleaning of said exclusive shower
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The lounge was designed by an outfit called Concrete Architects. For some reason, that name reminds me of the Atlantikwall.

https://www.concreteamsterdam.nl/klm-crown-lounge
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:45 am

- The free buffet for stingy guests in the nether regions of the lounge is simply fantastic: lots of choice, and everything is very fresh.
Well the fresh part is certainly true in my experience - it all disappears more quickly than the staff can put it out!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by criced
Lounge situation at AMS non schengen for Skyteam passangers in the mornings will always be crowded. Just accept it. Flights arrive from all over EU and passangers are connecting to many flights to US.
It's not acceptable especially as we were promised the "lounge of the future."
What KLM really needs is more (smaller) lounges closer to each set of gates rather than cramming pax in to the one overcrowded space.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
It's not acceptable especially as we were promised the "lounge of the future."
What KLM really needs is more (smaller) lounges closer to each set of gates rather than cramming pax in to the one overcrowded space.
Easier said than done. They (KLM) do not own Schiphol Airport, so space cannot just be found and allocated with a breeze. Not to mention that it would be a mammoth undertaking to maintain, cater and staff small individual lounges spread across the terminal. It's a nice idea, however, something that is not really practical.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easier said than done. They (KLM) do not own Schiphol Airport, so space cannot just be found and allocated with a breeze. Not to mention that it would be a mammoth undertaking to maintain, cater and staff small individual lounges spread across the terminal.
Challenges that can be overcome, as proven by the fact that they used to have four lounges at AMS, two of which were exclusively for RoyalWing members.

Johan
HalconBCN and Thysk like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Easier said than done. They (KLM) do not own Schiphol Airport, so space cannot just be found and allocated with a breeze. Not to mention that it would be a mammoth undertaking to maintain, cater and staff small individual lounges spread across the terminal. It's a nice idea, however, something that is not really practical.
KLM is Schiphol's biggest client so it will be able to use its influence to good effect. Obviously this would be a long-term project. Operationally it can certainly be done. All of us are familiar with the multiple AF lounges at CDG, including terminal 2F which has TWO Air France lounges.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:59 am

Yes I think that in the future KLM needs more lonuge locations at Schipol for example the new pier they build down of the B-gates for Cityhopper. A satilite-lounge there would be great!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM is Schiphol's biggest client so it will be able to use its influence to good effect.
It may be the biggest client so but that does not necessarily translate in capacity to influence. This would require KL being in a position to take away is custom. Do you think that KL can credibly threaten to relocate some of its services to Groningen Eelde or Lelystad Airport?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
All of us are familiar with the multiple AF lounges at CDG, including terminal 2F which has TWO Air France lounges.
A new single lounge for both F piers is in construction.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
A new single lounge for both F piers is in construction.
D: Do you have a source for this? I like the F lounges it's usually quiet downstairs and there is about 5 seconds walk time to the gate. That would be a real bummer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.