Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
Shower wait today was 2 hours, starting the wait at 11.00. Maybe last week was just a lucky day.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:01 am

Lounge situation at AMS non schengen for Skyteam passangers in the mornings will always be crowded. Just accept it. Flights arrive from all over EU and passangers are connecting to many flights to US.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by criced
Just accept it.
Or pay for Privium.

Johan
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I was at the new non-schengen lounge yesterday for the first time since it was opened. After reading this thread, I came prepared and I came with the expectation that the lounge will be 'busy'. It was around 1pm and boy oh boy... busy is an understatement. It was madness. Used tissues on the floor, crumbles on carpet, uncleaned tables, queues formed around buffet spread, people circling around like vultures looking for empty seats (including myself!)... some were eating standing up. I guess I hit the jackpot If this is 60% of the intended capacity, I can't wait to see the situation at 100%
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:23 am

I have been there several times and I prefer the old Schengen lounge.
The new one is always crowded, the design was more important than the functionality.

- lot of seats without power
- stairway is dangerous and not practical
- dining seats are often 4 seats combined, so one person occupies 4 seats.

The new restaurant is a flop. Never saw more than one table occupied. On the other hand are the food options in the lounge very limited.

The lounge already shows significant wear and tear.

Somehow i don’t find it a nice place to be at.

Too big, too many “lounge lice”.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
After having a chat with the head lounge agent yesterday about the general dislike of the new lounge , found out one or two interesting points of interest , The ' famous' architects who designed the lounge apparently have the final say on anything that goes in the new lounge , this is why the self service ticket machines have not been installed into the lounge as they don't fit in 'aesthetically' !!

It is all about aesthetics and NOTHING about functionality .

I asked the question who are the architects , was told they are not allowed to give that information due to commercial interest issues , which sounds bonkers ! they did say that the offices are located in the red light area of Amsterdam .. which was a very strange statement in itself !

Things I have spotted broken already were the water taps , both sets of them were not working by the end of yesterday.

Last edited by psollitt; Jun 17, 2019 at 7:28 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
Too big, too many “lounge lice”.
Makes a change from the lounge mice!!!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt
After having a chat with the head lounge agent yesterday about the general dislike of the new lounge , found out one or two interesting points of interest , The ' famous' architects who designed the lounge apparently have the final say on anything that goes in the new lounge , this is why the self service ticket machines have not been installed into the lounge as they don't fit in 'aesthetically' !!

It is all about aesthetics and NOTHING about functionality .

I asked the question who are the architects , was told they are not allowed to give that information due to commercial interest issues , which sounds bonkers ! they did say that the offices are located in the red light area of Amsterdam .. which was a very strange statement in itself !
This has all the flavour of a lounge agent making it up as they go along. I do not think that it would be wise to treat this as anything other than idle gossip.

Last edited by NickB; Jun 17, 2019 at 8:13 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM has announced that the access policy to that fabulous blue restaurant of theirs has changed: all lounge guests are now welcome, regardsless of class of travel.

They must be desperate for more patrons keen to munch on Swedes.

Johan
psollitt, Thysk and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was at the lounge last Friday and my impression was that even though the crowd is similar to previously, the design makes it more noticeable. The "service request" functionality to speak to an agent at the beginning seemed to be a great idea but the execution is poor. Basically you receive a link to mark your location, which I did, but then the lounge attendant walked over a few times, didn't ask any passenger their name, and just went back to the desk and paged me.

Wait time for the shower was 1h55min.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Visited the lounge last Monday from 09-10 in the morning, main area was full as expected but there were a few seats at the bar upstairs. Good coffee, reasonably good views, friendly bar employees. Overall I'm a happy guest.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
KLM has announced that the access policy to that fabulous blue restaurant of theirs has changed: all lounge guests are now welcome, regardsless of class of travel.

Johan
Sorry if I missed that, but I don't remember having read before that access was restricted to J-class pax, was it ?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:43 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
I think you mean passengers without lounge access?
There is also an article on luchtvaartnieuws on this topic, but unfortunately I don’t have a premium membership and am not able to read it.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Gajan
I think you mean passengers without lounge access?
There is also an article on luchtvaartnieuws on this topic, but unfortunately I don’t have a premium membership and am not able to read it.
Still says on the Blue restaurant webpage that you need lounge access to make a reservation:

"Please note that lounge access is required to make any reservation."

May I ask if you need a reservation to access the bar? I would guess you do not. However, the restaurant's menu looks very pretentious to me. I do not mind that, although, it does immediately alienate people unfamiliar with the flavours and textures on offer. I would not mind giving it a try though.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Well the restaurant is already available to any KLM passenger regardless of travel class or elite status. They just have to buy access to the lounge and then can go to Blue.
irishguy28 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.