Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Not to put a downer on this .. but,lets have bets how long this overpriced restaurant experiment will last ...personally , i give it until September .. With so many other high quality options available at a lower price on the main concourse , why on earth would KLM continue to offer a ludicrous high price restaurant only open to a very very select amount of passengers ( C or elite passengers) .. this idea is doomed to fail ...
Zembla and KLBGO like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt
why on earth would KLM continue to offer a ludicrous high price restaurant only open to a very very select amount of passengers ( C or elite passengers) .. this idea is doomed to fail ...
Beats me!

Apart from the very steep prices, I wonder how many people who are waiting to board a flight really want a fancy gourmet meal, or have the time to partake of one.

I, for one, would much prefer something simple, fresh, tasty and healthy. And in an airline lounge that should come for free.

For a concept to emulate KLM need not look any further than the Privium lounges.

Johan
psollitt and Zembla like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
What a bunch of grumps in here. I'll try it this month for sure, and I for one love the idea of being able to get good food in the lounge rather than some race-to-the-bottom free option.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: FB Plat
While this place clearly isn’t for everyone, I do think there will be people who take advantage of it. To put the price aspect in perspective, the chef who came up with the menu runs Rijks which has a star and it’s a great place. In terms of lounge food, this should be on par to the La Premiere lounge. Sure, it’s free there but the price of a F/P fare definitely isn’t.

Of course none of this matters if you’re someone for whom food is just something that gives you energy. If you’re someone who loves food and appreciates a more refined effort then this could be up your alley.

The way I see it, there are 3 types of people who are most likely to use this option and are probably account for the majority of those in the lounge. I could imagine this is KL’s logic as well.

1. Work trip where the ticket and accommodation is paid and has an expense account. Why not drop €50 to have a great meal before a flight if you have the time. Either it’s covered by work or it’s your own but if it’s the latter, you haven’t or won’t be having much costs on the trip.

2. Vacation in J (Paid). Odds are if you’re paying such prices for a flight then these kinds of prices for a meal wouldn’t offend you.

3. Vacation in J (Award). It’s vacation and you only paid taxes for the flight. Screw it, let’s start this trip out right.

Just my 2 cents. I’m with caliform, I’ll be giving it a go next time I can...although not for breakfast I’d imagine.
caliform likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I very much enjoy good food, but I don't think it is acceptable to charge for food or drink in a lounge.
Squerez, lynxy and KLBGO like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I very much enjoy good food, but I don't think it is acceptable to charge for food or drink in a lounge.
Just to be clear, I’m not saying that if one doesn’t like the concept then they don’t like good food. I simply know that there are many out there who could care less so such an idea seems ridiculous to them. As for paying for food or drink in a lounge...I’d rather not either. That said, if I had time to kill and money to spare then I think it’ll be the best food you can find at Schiphol, at least for my tastes.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
I like the concept Delta has: free food and drink and the option to pay for better stuff. Right now I have to leave the lounge for that (or it's nonexistent). I'd rather have this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by NumbThumb
While this place clearly isn’t for everyone, I do think there will be people who take advantage of it. To put the price aspect in perspective, the chef who came up with the menu runs Rijks which has a star and it’s a great place. In terms of lounge food, this should be on par to the La Premiere lounge. Sure, it’s free there but the price of a F/P fare definitely isn’t.

Of course none of this matters if you’re someone for whom food is just something that gives you energy. If you’re someone who loves food and appreciates a more refined effort then this could be up your alley.

The way I see it, there are 3 types of people who are most likely to use this option and are probably account for the majority of those in the lounge. I could imagine this is KL’s logic as well.

1. Work trip where the ticket and accommodation is paid and has an expense account. Why not drop €50 to have a great meal before a flight if you have the time. Either it’s covered by work or it’s your own but if it’s the latter, you haven’t or won’t be having much costs on the trip.

2. Vacation in J (Paid). Odds are if you’re paying such prices for a flight then these kinds of prices for a meal wouldn’t offend you.

3. Vacation in J (Award). It’s vacation and you only paid taxes for the flight. Screw it, let’s start this trip out right.

Just my 2 cents. I’m with caliform, I’ll be giving it a go next time I can...although not for breakfast I’d imagine.
Of course this scenario could happen for some.

The facts are that this restaurant is in the Non Schengen area. For dinner time, there are not that many SkyTeam flights leaving after 19:00. I am thinking Seoul, Jakarta, Denpassar, Santiago/Buenos Aires, Nairobi, Manila and Mexico. It's just a handful. So their 'dinner' service should come from these flights. Of course it's plausible that business travelers will be able to declare their travel receipts for a dinner of 50 euro + to their employer when they are already flying J with expansive menu card during the flight.

Like you say, it's La Premiere level while KL doesn't offer a P product. I dont think it makes sense.

I believe this set up could be much more beneficial when this restaurant would be in the Schengen lounge combined with a bit more accessible menu card. So I am thinking 15 euro for a starter, 20-25 euro for a main dish and 10 euro for a dessert, plus a 'day menu' for 30-35 euro.
Of course people want to pay extra, i believe the location and the pricelevel is not right.

But let's see, I hope i am wrong.
johan rebel likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NumbThumb

I can't see much of the J holidays crowd going for this. They know that they are going to get a reasonable meal onboard. Why would they go for a moderately expensive meal on the ground before that? The one part of the J crowd that would be most likely to eat a proper meal in the lounge are those on a shortish night flight that would eat on the ground so as to be able to go straight to sleep onboard. Ex-Europe, however, East Coast tatl flights (that fit that pattern best) leave in the morning and most KL evening long-haul departure are long flights, where the need to go to sleep right away is less pressing.

You also have to ask yourself: are there many people who would want to go to the airport a couple of hours earlier just to have a paid meal in the KL lounge, and often at rather odd times for a meal at that (as there aren't that many early to mid-afternoon long-haul KL flights either, which is the timing that would make sense for a lunch at lunch hours).

People with lengthy connections are, I would have thought, more likely to go for a meal there but that is a relatively small crowd, I would have thought.

Generally speaking, I would have thought that airport dining would tend to be on the utilitarian/convenient/grab-a-bite side rather than the take-your-time-for-a-gourmet-experience side. I think it is worth comparing with Heathrow T5, which has a bigger footfall in terms of wealthy clientele than AMS has. Look at Gordon Ramsay's offering at T5 ("Plane Food"): it is a menu which is clearly designed for fast consumption and at more moderate prices: Ł14 for breakfast; mains mostly under Ł20; small plates around Ł11/Ł12 and an "express" menu at Ł25/Ł28 (2/3 courses) and it also includes a take away "picnic menu". It seems to me that it is rather telling that he did not attempt to reproduce s scaled-down imitation of "Petrus" or "Restaurant Gordon Ramsay" at Heathrow. A well-made with quality ingredients but at reasonable prices Bistrot-style offering seems to me to make a heck of a lot more business in an airport environment sense than the "Blue" restaurant offering.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by caliform
I like the concept Delta has: free food and drink and the option to pay for better stuff. Right now I have to leave the lounge for that (or it's nonexistent). I'd rather have this.
I don’t like this concept, not because I am opposed to it (not at all) but because it always comes at the price of downgrading the free offer (airlines always promise that it won’t be the case, but they lie).
NickB, SDQBound, Crismyth and 2 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't really feel like Delta's offering has gotten worse - if anything, it has gotten better. And I also don't think KL's can get much worse.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I can't see much of the J holidays crowd going for this.
I'm a (paid) J holiday crowd of one. Your comments are spot on.

I can look forward to one or (usually) two full meals on board. Quality usually fair, quantity more than ample. The first meal is generally served within an hour or so of departure, so why on earth would I want to spend a substantial amount of money to board on a full stomach? The light bites, soups etc. on offer in the Privium Lounges are more than sufficient to tidy me over on those occasions that I spend a couple of hours at the airport.

Johan
Giantlonglegs likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Nope, because there's no such thing. For all I know he's using Rainbow Trout, but then he should call it that. It's either salmon or trout, it can't be both.

What's wrong with "gravad trout"? It might even correctly describe the dish.

The easiest way for people to understand would be to use plain English: dry-cured salmon/trout/whatever.

In any case, I wouldn't fork out €17 for gravad anything, unless I was 100% sure the fish was not farmed.

Johan
I wouldn't pay it either, but this line is essential: "De benaming Zalmforel is zo ingeburgerd dat er geen weg terug is." Completely understandable that this term is being used...
Old May 14, 2019, 9:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I personally pretty much avoid KLM's on-board food in J now so perhaps that is what makes me unique. Terrible tasting, unhealthy stuff. Would much rather eat on the ground.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I don’t like this concept, not because I am opposed to it (not at all) but because it always comes at the price of downgrading the free offer (airlines always promise that it won’t be the case, but they lie).
Exactly ^

And the introduction of an expensive in-lounge restaurant comes at a time when even airlines such as United, not necessarily famous for their generous lounge offerings, open Polaris lounges for business class travellers with free a la carte dining and fancy cocktails. It would rather be appropriate for KLM to upgrade their free food than to introduce an expensive restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.