Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes, but you must have the right to enter Schengen/the Netherlands; you will have to pass through passport control to enter (and again afterwards, to leave) the Schengen area (which these days may be possible via one of the passport gates); if you or your travelling companion(s) don't have the necessary visa or passport then you should remain in the non-Schengen part.
To add on that, those 4 hours might shrink considerably, during peak hours queues for immigration can be horrible...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: KLM
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Yes, but you must have the right to enter Schengen/the Netherlands; you will have to pass through passport control to enter (and again afterwards, to leave) the Schengen area (which these days may be possible via one of the passport gates); if you or your travelling companion(s) don't have the necessary visa or passport then you should remain in the non-Schengen part.
Yes we all have the right and we have e-passport, that should have like a more rapid way of entering schengen area right?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The e-passport gates are not always open, and are only available to some nationalities.

Any EU/EEA/Swiss passport should work, and in some cases US, Canada, Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand (and maybe a few more) work - but if memory serves, the non-European passports may only work when going in one, rather than both, directions.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Any news if they are going to renovate the Schengen lounge?

SB
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
The new lounge opened this morning Dec 12th.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Here's some pictures of the upstairs bar (my favorite area so far and not as crowded):

And I parked myself at one of these booths that are very nice.
Zembla likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:57 pm

Here's some pictures of the central area... very nice design and lots of places to sit.

Zembla and Goldorak like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bworrell
The new lounge opened this morning Dec 12th.
Only a few parts of it did.

Once complete, the new lounge will apparently consist of several zones with perfectly logical and self-explanatory names such as Sky, City, Mountain, Polder and Sea.

One wonders who dreams up crap like that. Probably a well-paid consultant.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: Flying Dutchman
On Facebook Mark Zegeling ( author of the books about the KLM houses ) showed a picture of the deed that started the KLM.

The original deed 7th October 1919
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Thanks for the photos.. so far my conclusion without trying it yet

Good:
- nice modern design
- looks light and airy
- lots of seating area

Bad:
- too many stairs which I would make those with luggage (especially trolleys) not very mobile
- contradicts with the good - seating, it looks like they have just cramped in a lot of seats close to each other which if the place does get crowded it will not be that nice to be there - it'll be like being in a crowded bar making the lounge not really a relaxing area. This seems to apply also in the central area. Of course this could be just the pictures doing the talking and in reality it could be more spacious than it looks.
- am quite afraid of the quality of the furnitures - seems to be close to what they currently use which from experience seems to get dirty fast and wears easily

Cheers!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's some pictures of the central area
About 99% of the people in your pictures have their eyes glued to a screen of some sort.

Draw your own conclusions.

Johan
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
About 99% of the people in your pictures have their eyes glued to a screen of some sort.

Johan
Good! Makes me feel better about taking their picture.

The central staircase area is more of a design feature than anything else -- yes, there's seating there but lots more seating downstairs and around the base of the staircase area. I didn't really take many pictures of that area. As nldogbert mentioned, this is not an area for people with luggage.

In the renovation thread I posted a few comments about what's open and what's not. I have to say that at almost 9AM now this place is packed -- just as packed as the old lounge.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:26 am

They opened part of the outside area a bit later.
Zembla likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Here's some pictures of the central area... very nice design and lots of places to sit.

Looks great.
Not sure about practicality in the function of the airport lounge....

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Johan
I dunno. What else should they be doing? Most of the people seem to be there alone, and anyway most of them seem to be working. Anyway it's just passing time, essentially. Not a romantic dinner for two, or going out with friends.
The difference between lounge and no lounge is only better seating and an option to grab a drink or a snack.

They opened part of the outside area a bit later.
Smoking or non-smoking?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:16 pm

Looks nice, but there's a lack of charging points - the 'ordinary' seating doesn't seem to have any power points at all. As almost everybody is using some sort of device, this seems badly thought-out. And no showers (apart from the Mercure with a big queue at 06.00) until the rest of the lounge opens in 6 months time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.