"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Old Dec 2, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: LH SEN| BA/S - IHG spire/RA
Another cocktail

Tempted to try but alas it was sparkling water for me yesterday ....

KLM's Blue Bar creations
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:27 am

Bubbly & champers

The prices of sparkling as of november / december 2019 in Blue bar

Prices for sparkling / champers / bubbly at KLM's Blue Bar
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:41 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
Tempted to try but alas it was sparkling water for me yesterday ....

KLM's Blue Bar creations

...sugar is can bisicly
Old Dec 2, 19, 4:00 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold
The prices of sparkling as of november / december 2019 in Blue bar

Prices for sparkling / champers / bubbly at KLM's Blue Bar
Ä27 for a glass of Laurent Perrier Rosť? Thatís just ridiculous.
Romanianflyer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
No. For those who bashed KL for this in this thread, no disagreement from my side that such things are ridiculous. We Dutch are soooo egalitarian. How the h*ll can our national airline think they can lure premium customers to pay this kind of money for a single drink. That is showing off behavior that may fit in other cultures, but not with us Dutch. While at the same time their J prices usually are way higher as competition. And with an on-board J product that is not bad, but certainly not at the level of the best competition (all planes except 787s do not have direct aisle access in J). So that you would expect at least that normal stuff is free for J pax in their lounge. As has been said, copying the Delta concept of free regular drinks with paid premium drinks from the same bar would be so much more logical.
Old Dec 2, 19, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
Ä27 for a glass of Laurent Perrier Rosť? Thatís just ridiculous.
Hey, that's only Ä1.-- more than what you pay for a Blue cauliflower next door. The latter admittedly does come with a hazelnut, but still . . . .

Johan
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
They literally have a free bar down the stairs from this one?
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: FB Platinum; IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
They literally have a free bar down the stairs from this one?
Yes there is a free bar too.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Mozart0815 View Post
I recently saw this list:

https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...lounges-world/

I've only been to 5 out of these 10 (BA LHR, SQ SIA, SA LAX, CX The Wing, AF CDG, and Al Mourjan), and while Al Mourjan is overrated, I'd say all other four, as well as LX Terminal E, are nicer than the Crown Room.
The food at SQ @ SIN is certainly superior, but otherwise has the same too-busy-too-hard-to-navigate feel as KL. I'm a little skeptical of that article, though, as while the VS CH at JFK is certainly a good lounge, I'd say the flagship LHR lounge (a better comparison against the KL flagship lounge) is better. I assume the AF lounge they reference is 2L, and I'd probably prefer either 2L or 2M to KL, but 2K is... uh... a step above 2F. And I'm a bit skeptical of the AF lounge being ranked higher than the VS lounge.

So while I don't disagree with your point, I do think the article is more "here's a random list of my favs" rather than anything more rigorous.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:30 pm

Former AUSBT has a photo of the sleeping pods / snooze rooms: https://www.executivetraveller.com/k...hiphol-airport

(i find it weird that the sleeping pods have no showers / toilets directly ensuite)

Photo from executive traveller Australia website - article by Chris Chamberlin
Old Dec 4, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United, AF/KLM
Former AUSBT has a photo of the sleeping pods / snooze rooms: https://www.executivetraveller.com/k...hiphol-airport

(i find it weird that the sleeping pods have no showers / toilets directly ensuite)

Photo from executive traveller Australia website - article by Chris Chamberlin
From the looks of the pictures of his review, it looks like he used the KLM promo-material for about 80% of the pictures. Same people, everyone smiling and everything tidy/clean/plenty of space.
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
That photo makes the sleeping 'rooms' look really spacious.
Old Dec 4, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
Where is the self service bar located? Trying to plan my January visit.
Old Yesterday, 8:52 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by NLNO View Post
Where is the self service bar located? Trying to plan my January visit.
There is no self service bar, except if you go to the Schengen lounge.

Service bar is towards the left from the entrance, in the "City" zone. A smaller food zone with self-service wine and possibly beer is if you go right, in the corner past the big sitting staircase. No liquor.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, United, AF/KLM
Originally Posted by atflyer View Post
I beg to disagree here. I've been a number of times in the PVG CE lounge in evenings and usually it is really crowded. Internet is slow. Food is ok, but basic. Drinks ditto. Not really better as KL NS.
Are you 100% sure you didn't just use the Business Class lounge? That one is nasty & packed. The First Class lounge is wonderful though (imnsho)
As for the KL NS lounge, I tend to agree that they sold it hyperbolic and that the (paid) concept of Blue that uses a lot of space, plus the expensive nap places, is a blunder. Also in expectation management and PR terms. Period. In that sense I understand the negative comments of many here. But then, let us look at the free part of the lounge. Can we try to rank it compared to others? The TK lounge in Istanbul and MAS lounge in KUL clearly are superior - roomy, wide choice of meals, prepared on the spot, good drinks. There are probably a few more like this (never was in e.g. a JAL, Cathay or Singapore Airlines home lounge). But are the AF international lounges in 2E at CDG so much better (I talk about the regular ones that you can enter with FB Gold of course, not the Premiere which is and should be a class of its own)?
2E-L is perfect, with a sauna and Clarins spa salon. Besides, all offerings are free (including shrimps & champagne). So yes, better by at least a mile.

The 2F Schengen lounges are in any case worse (very crowded, no meals, cheese and turkey with some bread and that is it).
Yes, the 2F lounges are crowded. Please be aware that these are the domestic lounges, not the Non-Schengen ones. Food is on par with the KLM lounges (so not very savory either), but at least we can get our drinks from a can, instead of a postmix machine. Plus, they still have champagne. However, Air France is working on a new 2F lounge that will replace both lounges. Best part about the 2F lounge is going downstairs, you can see all the airplanes getting hooked up to the gates, plus it is usually a bit less crowded there.
The China Southern lounges in Peking capital (apparently there is now a Skyteam lounge, had no opportunity to see that one) and Guangzhou? Worse, less food choice, wine is hit and miss. China Airlines in Taipeh? Maybe equal, there they make you noodle soup and dumplings but the rest is average. Skyteam lounges in say BKK, and some other places? Not really better. Aeroflot lounges at SVO? A joke in terms of food and atmosphere.
No experience there, so will be taking your word for it. Are these lounges brand new, or at least 5 years old?
Alitalia lounges in Rome, Malpensa, Linate?
Hard disagree. At least these lounges have a proper barrista. Besides, the REAL Alitalia lounge (the non-schengen one) has it's own kitchen where they make a fresh pizza for you. Can't beat that. And it would be only fair to compare apples to apples, so compare the non-Schengen flagship lounge with a non-Schengen flagship lounge.
Tja. Garuda in the new terminal III in Jakarta? Ok, but given the limited food and drink choice, and the placement far from outside windows I would not rank it superior to the KL NS one. And so on. I'd say the KL NS does not match the best like MAS or TK, but many home lounges of international carriers are equal or worse.
Sure, however they positioned as a lounge that could easily compete with the TK and ME3 top-lounges. It can't hold a candle to them, neither can it to United Polaris, Air Canada Signature Suites, American Flagship, etc. It could be, if ALL the offerings were available when entering. So no paid restaurant, no paid nap rooms, no paid bar, just all included (at least for J-pax).
For now, it is a nicely designed lounge, where half of it is inaccessible due to it being paid.

Search this Thread