"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by NickB
I share your scepticism. I can see the sense of a more upmarket offering with a Michelin-star brand association but with an offering which is adapted to the airport environment, a bit like Plane Food in LHR T5. OTOH, I struggle with the idea of an airside classical, Michelin Star level fine-dining establishment, especially at Schiphol.

The only way I can see trying for a Michelin-restaurant at Schiphol to have even a modicum of sense would be to have a single kitchen serve both landside and airside areas. But I don't know how that could work with security, besides, the location in the lounge precludes it anyway.
NickB likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Thysk
Plus, actually they've taken away the nicest part of the former full Crown-lounge (available until Oct '19), the skydeck... Great job, KLM
The terrace can no longer be accessed by regular lounge guests? I was there in October and loved it.

If that’s true, KLM just lost me.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Goldorak
If you think the food selection is OK in the Schengen lounge, then you'll be happy in the non-Schengen one !
My question is are the free food options better or worse in the non-Schengen lounge? Are there items that are free in the Schengen lounge that are not in the non-Schengen?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
My question is are the free food options better or worse in the non-Schengen lounge? Are there items that are free in the Schengen lounge that are not in the non-Schengen?
depends of the time you visit the non-schengen , but i would say its almost same offer in both lounges
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I just passed through the lounge for the first time since the latest expansion yesterday and was surprised to find the bar now part of the restaurant. (Clearly I haven't been following this thread.) I share the conclusion that this is a gigantic waste of space and effort, and hope the experiment fails quickly.

During the morning peak, the main lounge floor was as crowded as always, and very, very difficult to navigate. There are a number of places where seating gets in the way of passenger flow. As usual, it was difficult to find open seats, which were mostly in the black "individual cubicle" seats along the back walls or at shared tables. Meanwhile, the upstairs bar and restaurant were almost completely empty. A good compromise for now would be to simply revert the bar to lounge space until midday. The bar itself could still be paid, but the seating (and the outdoor space) should become generally available. On top of that, the F&B layout is at best confusing.

I really want to like this lounge more, but instead I was so annoyed by the experience that I left early for my gate. As a STE+ passenger I guess I would consider this barely acceptable. As a paid J passenger I would be pretty annoyed at the experience.

Originally Posted by 8mh
And KL isn't the only one doing this. I personally purchased a champagne for SkyMiles in a DL SkyClub, as OMAAT was pushing it heavily and I was intrigued by the relatively good "ratio" you got.
As previously mentioned, the premium bar options at the DL SkyClubs (not available at all clubs) do not make the complimentary options harder to obtain, and do not take away from the available space for everyone else. And as you mention, you can redeem miles for the premium options, making them effectively free. KLM could easily replicate this model.

Additionally, the DL JFK SkyClub hosted an experiment in paid premium food options several years ago. This experiment failed completely (in various incarnations), and instead the club now has a significantly improved buffet available to everyone. KLM could also easily replicate this model.
HalconBCN likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
Additionally, the DL JFK SkyClub hosted an experiment in paid premium food options several years ago. This experiment failed completely (in various incarnations), and instead the club now has a significantly improved buffet available to everyone. KLM could also easily replicate this model.
Bolding is mine. It has certainly improved, but it is still miserable IMHO.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The terrace can no longer be accessed by regular lounge guests? I was there in October and loved it.

If that’s true, KLM just lost me.
The terrace is still accessible, it's just that you won't have any service anywhere nearby.

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Originally Posted by fifty_two
depends of the time you visit the non-schengen , but i would say its almost same offer in both lounges

I would say that the selection in NS lounge is a bit better - most notably there is a bit of a wider choice. Not a grand difference though.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The terrace is still accessible,...
What a relief.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I would say that the selection in NS lounge is a bit better - most notably there is a bit of a wider choice. Not a grand difference though.
Yes, I think it's practically identical - very poor offer in both lounges.
Another point I thought to myself last time I was at the NS lounge, can those awful meatballs not be made with 100% beef instead of mixing beef with pork? The balls have a horrible taste in general, and are also culturally insensitive as they will not appeal to religious Jews, Muslims or Hindus. Not many food items exclude three religions simultaneously.
I'm also not a fan of the staff serving me food in the Schengen lounge - it feels like you are lining up at the school canteen. I would rather serve myself and choose the right portion size.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Yes, I think it's practically identical - very poor offer in both lounges.
Is that the current status quo?

The last time I visited the two lounges was last month, so shortly before the opening of the new NS areas. At the time, the offer in the NS lounge was a bit wider. (E.g., on that date, they had pizza and a bar with four different flavors of hummus and some mezze in the NS lounge. The Schengen lounge didn't have either.)

Another point I thought to myself last time I was at the NS lounge, can those awful meatballs not be made with 100% beef instead of mixing beef with pork? The balls have a horrible taste in general, and are also culturally insensitive as they will not appeal to religious Jews, Muslims or Hindus. Not many food items exclude three religions simultaneously.
Interesting point. I had that discussion recently with a family member.

However, may be a topic for another thread. It is really open for debate whether offerings should be halal, kosher, ahimsa, or such. Some Christian denominations may not condone serving alcohol on a Sunday morning etc. So no booze in the lounge Sunday mornings? Again, I think that's a topic for another thread.
caliform likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by 8mh
Is that the current status quo?

The last time I visited the two lounges was last month, so shortly before the opening of the new NS areas. At the time, the offer in the NS lounge was a bit wider. (E.g., on that date, they had pizza and a bar with four different flavors of hummus and some mezze in the NS lounge. The Schengen lounge didn't have either.)

Interesting point. I had that discussion recently with a family member.
I saw square pizza slices in the Schengen lounge, and going clockwise around the buffet you can find soup, salad, donuts, etc. Not sure if the NS has anything different than that?

About the meatballs: leaving aside the topic of introducing religion-specific food (not needed in my view), it would certainly cost nothing to remove the pork from the meatballs so that more guests could "enjoy" them. It's common knowledge that even many secular Jews and Muslims avoid pork!
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
About the meatballs: leaving aside the topic of introducing religion-specific food (not needed in my view), it would certainly cost nothing to remove the pork from the meatballs so that more guests could "enjoy" them. It's common knowledge that even many secular Jews and Muslims avoid pork!
Well, it depends on what you replace the pork with. There is hardly any cheaper meat than pork.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Well, it depends on what you replace the pork with. There is hardly any cheaper meat than pork.
It's also hard to be politically correct these days.

If you want to be environmentally progressive, you should offer little beef. Pork is much more environmentally friendly than beef. (Poultry is even better in terms of ecobalance but with poultry, animal welfare is often an issue. Both poultry and pork are cheaper than beef.)

OTOH, pork is iffy because it's haram or the like for some religions.

So there are conflicts of interest.

But again, I believe this debate over what food is proper to serve in the lounge contains no elements which are specific to the KL lounges in AMS.
caliform likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yeah, let's veer from that before someone starts complaining that a particular curry is cultural appropriation and insensitive to serve given the Dutch colonial past, etc....
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 8mh
But again, I believe this debate over what food is proper to serve in the lounge contains no elements which are specific to the KL lounges in AMS.
I pointed out a specific example of a pork-beef meatball in the KL that a.) Tastes horrible in its current form and b.) Could be easily modified to appeal to a much wider range of guests.
It's not about being "politically correct". It's about common sense: realizing that you're a global airline and your guests come from all walks of life, so if you can make some easy changes to your food ingredients so that the menu appeals to more guests then why would you not do that?
Or maybe KLM is afraid of upsetting the anti-PC squad who can indeed be quite sensitive. I'll leave it at that.
NickB and worldclubber like this.

Last edited by HalconBCN; Nov 18, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.