Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The bar that occupies half of the upstairs of the lounge says it is not part of the lounge. Ridiculous.
I have to agree, this is absolutely ridiculous. Why didn't they take a look at a Delta Sky Club? You can get "high end" spirits and drinks for a price, but there's still an entire lounge to sit down and work/eat/relax/etc. Having the entire 2nd floor as a "premium" space just makes no sense...

Just look at the amount of people eating at Blue on any given moment. I had lunch there around 2PM a few weeks ago and it was only me and another gentleman who came in later. Do KLM and Vermaat (the group that essentially runs the lounge) really think this is a sustainable business model? They're paying high class chefs (yes, they really come from Michelin star restaurants) to just stand around, waiting for passengers? It's ludicrous.

Still have to experience the newly opened up section, but reading the comments in this thread: I'm not really excited...
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Reading all this gives me yet another reason to avoid KLM altogether.

Business class still having 6 seats per row, half of the walkways in AMS broken (I even started a thread on this as I just couldn’t believe it), mandatory bus rides on each City Hooer flight. I don’t think I’d ever say that but the end to end J experience going through CDG is starting to feel mich more attractive than going through AMS.
Spiff, Zembla and Thysk like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
I have visited the nap rooms about a week ago, but didn't take a picture. They have 20 (!) of them and they're very similar to Yotel There's a couple of differences though:

KLM
  • Minimum stay (=minimum pay, you can leave earlier) 3hrs
  • Price 49,50 EUR
  • Shower in adjacent shower cabins, so in case you'd like to shower after your nap, you'll have to walk out of your sleep cabin to the shower area and also make sure you reserve one or risk waiting a couple of minutes.
  • Toilet in regular lounge facilities.
  • Shower amenities include shower gel, toothbrush, shaving kit.
Yotel
  • Minimum stay (=minimum pay, you can leave earlier) 4hrs
  • Price 52 EUR
  • Shower in the cabin.
  • Toilet in the cabin
  • Only shower gel.
  • King beds available.
Both offer bunk bed style sleep cabins (but you'll have either the upper or the lower bed, as they're in different cabins). I don't now if KLM offers double beds or only single cabins.

I have absolutely no clue why KLM has chosen not to have shower or restroom facilities inside the sleep cabins...
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Thysk
I sincerely hope that all customers and bloggers/influencers will blast/ridicule this strategy into oblivion.

Regarding launching a flagship lounge and the amount of FAILS, KLM really takes the crown here.
Maybe we should all get a (flex, refundable? ) ticket on 28th and come in force to tell them this is a stupid way to run a lounge

(though I have a fleeting suspicion that KLM would say even to a group of Ultimates that we don't know what we want and this is in fact the perfect way to run the lounge!)
Spiff and Thysk like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:01 pm

Does BA, LH and AF have complimentary private nap rooms in their lounges?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by criced
Does BA, LH and AF have complimentary private nap rooms in their lounges?
Many LH lounges have semi-private nap cubicles with complimentary bed, pillow and blanket.

The KLM deal just sounds so absurd. Hope there are few takers; same with paid food and drink.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They must have gone completely bonkers!

They are asking €75 for five hours?!? The Yotel charges €62, and you get a shower and toilet in the bargain.

The Mercure is a bit over €110 or so for a full night, and a dayroom (10 a.m. - 7 p.m.) is €98, if I remember correctly.

Johan
Old Nov 3, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
They must be trying very hard to make the lounge ever less appealing ! I shall now try to avoid it and use the Schengen one. Though I saw on Weds that a large section of that is boarded off , I hope that is not the start of 'improvements' there.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Chris0815
Reading all this gives me yet another reason to avoid KLM altogether.

Business class still having 6 seats per row, half of the walkways in AMS broken (I even started a thread on this as I just couldn’t believe it), mandatory bus rides on each City Hooer flight. I don’t think I’d ever say that but the end to end J experience going through CDG is starting to feel mich more attractive than going through AMS.
Well, the business class configuration depends on whether you have a 787-9/10 or not and I don't mind the 'Embraer Enclave' bus and I know they do it for easy turnarounds without worrying about schengen/non-schengen I am guessing.

Other than that, they have fallen very short of delivering on the lounge. If we kick-up enough of a fuss though it is easy to rectify the service/soft-side of things.

Depends if they will listen I guess. It would be nice if they had more satellite lounges.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lawrious
Well, the business class configuration depends on whether you have a 787-9/10 or not and I don't mind the 'Embraer Enclave' bus and I know they do it for easy turnarounds without worrying about schengen/non-schengen I am guessing.

Other than that, they have fallen very short of delivering on the lounge. If we kick-up enough of a fuss though it is easy to rectify the service/soft-side of things.

Depends if they will listen I guess. It would be nice if they had more satellite lounges.
That would require airlines to actually listen to their customers. I have yet to see any European airline that actually does that.
Thysk likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
My five cents. The new lounge concept is ridicules and is probably very confusing for first timers. I just can’t believe that KL wants to sell additional stuff to people who have already paid a Premium to make it to the lounge in the first place. And that what KL is trying to sell in the lounge can be had at much better value for money outside the lounge in the first place! Boooo KLM!

As some reported above they prefer, for example, the Privium lounge. I cancelled Privium as a protest against the new security setup, and the awkward line jumping you have to do at some passport checks, but it’s probably time to go back. I guess that KL couldn’t care less about that, and that Schiphol would be happy to welcome more Privium members.

Go check out the AF CDG 2E-L and 2E-M lounges. THATS how it’s done!
Spiff, Goldorak, Fabo.sk and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
Go check out the AF CDG 2E-L and 2E-M lounges. THATS how it’s done!
+1
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lawrious
It would be nice if they had more satellite lounges.
Keep dreaming!

They closed the ones they had many years ago.

I agree, though. Big lounges are unappealing by virtue of their size, no matter how fabulous the amenities.

Johan
Thysk and Lawrious like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Keep dreaming!

They closed the ones they had many years ago.

I agree, though. Big lounges are unappealing by virtue of their size, no matter how fabulous the amenities.

Johan
Admittedly with Schiphol the way it is I can't really see where such lounges could go, perhaps I am being blind to the possibilities, but who knows. Maybe in the future, with successive leadership, they will question their predecessor's decisions and alter them onto the correct path... Again, I am dreaming still :-D
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poké bowl.

At least they have provided a very helpful sign, not only explaining that those bowls contain a salad, but also clarifying that a salad is a salade, for those who might still be in doubt. Unfortunately, they forgot to translate the word 'bowl', which could cause a lot of confusion.
Thysk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.