"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Old May 21, 19, 4:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Went to the lounge today (morning) and there was no loud (or any) music blaring. Got breakfast in the Blue restaurant and it was utterly delightful. Proper barista coffee would be a required improvement for me, but I'll be back here a lot. Impeccable.

No small wonder you'd find the strongest critical voices of a paid restaurant in the Dutch airlines forum, but I'm a fan.
Boturham likes this.
Old May 21, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
Went to the lounge today (morning) and there was no loud (or any) music blaring. Got breakfast in the Blue restaurant and it was utterly delightful. Proper barista coffee would be a required improvement for me, but I'll be back here a lot. Impeccable.

No small wonder you'd find the strongest critical voices of a paid restaurant in the Dutch airlines forum, but I'm a fan.
I don't think anybody doubts the quality, just the prices and value.

Everybody knows business class is great, but not everybody is willing to pay retail price for it. At a certain point, it's overpriced, given alternatives and substitutes. Like this restaurant.
Old May 22, 19, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psollitt View Post
Errm, in the UK the Jamie Oliver chain of gourmet restaurants has just gone to into administration... everyone who could walk into that restaurant and buy a meal high quality meal .. so at AMS where it is only Plat or Gold or Business class have the opportunity to spend a silly amount of euros for a base level food ... with daft amounts to have a ... 39 cheese toasty .?? ..Absolutely insane... This weekend the most patrions i saw in the blue restaurant was 6 .. ( over a 12 hr observant period ) ... so .. how on earth can this restaurant be financially viable ? .. it can not .
While we can have doubt about 'Blue', the comparison to Jamie Oliver's restaurants is neither here nor there. For a start, his restaurants are not "gourmet restaurants": they are mostly high street casual dining establishments, albeit at a slightly higher price point than the competition. The exception to that would, I guess, be Fifteen,* which is closer to what Blue has to offer, albeit at a slightly lower price point.
Second, you cannot compare a restaurant in an airport to a restaurant on the high street. The market dynamics are completely different.

*: Barbecoa is also more upmarket but it is very different in style and not comparable at all to Blue.
caliform likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
I don't think anybody doubts the quality, just the prices and value.
Indeed. What many of us have doubts about is whether they have made the right judgment call of what the potential market for Blue is, not about the quality of the food. Out of curiosity, caliform, how busy was it when you visited? Would you say that it was 10% /30%/50%/80% full or even completely full and you had to wait a while for a table to become free?
hugolover likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
I have an 8hr stopover (scheng to non scheng) in October... at the rate this thread is going Im not going to resist stopping at blue for a taste either for brunch or dinner.

Like most on this thread I don't doubt the taste just the business decision:
*limit it to j customers only
*with no particular price incentive
*in a place which already offers free food
*...and also already has decent paid food options!

last week, 3 oysters and a glass of taittinger, for 19. Pretty good deal.
Old May 22, 19, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
don't doubt the taste just
At 8 a bottle, the sparkling water might leave a sour taste in the mouth of some patrons.

Johan
Old May 22, 19, 5:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Can we stop bickering about prices and just discuss the lounge and offerings? I don't think anything is contributed by repeating prices and how you feel about them. We get it, you hate it. Move on.
Old May 22, 19, 10:43 pm

Can we stop bickering about prices and just discuss the lounge and offerings? I don't think anything is contributed by repeating prices and how you feel about them. We get it, you hate it. Move on.
How busy was the lounge when you visited?
Old May 22, 19, 11:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

4 other people in it at the (rather early) hour I was there. I have no idea what % occupancy that would be, but I would classify it as being roughly 12-15% of tables. Two waitstaff.
Old May 23, 19, 2:41 am

Apologies if I have missed it in the thread, but are the KLM showers open yet.

Last November the que for the Mercure showers was over 2 hours long, I had to skip and wait for a shower when I got home to Inverness after flying in from the Middle East.
Old May 23, 19, 3:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I think I overheard that they were offering the Mercure showers still as I left the lounge. Not 100% sure, but likely. Sorry.
Old May 23, 19, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs View Post
the que for the Mercure showers was over 2 hours long, I had to skip and wait for a shower when I got home to Inverness
Where the wait for a shower is no doubt much shorter. All you have to do step outside.
Old May 24, 19, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Where the wait for a shower is no doubt much shorter. All you have to do step outside.
If you can even get to Inverness!!!

https://luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/c...inverness-plat
Old May 24, 19, 6:08 am

Aye, very true, but once, and if you get to Inverness Airport and step off the aircraft, there's a very good chance the typical Scottish weather will be pouring down with rain for a free natural shower.

I'll look at the other shower facilities in the airport if the showers are not open yet in July, then head back into the Crown Lounge.

Fingers crossed they are indeed open when I pass through.

Cheers for the information.
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
More information about the lounge, restaurants and bookings can be found here:

https://lounge.klm.com/client/lounge...ent/restaurant

Search this Thread