Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"House of KLM" - Crown Lounge redesign

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak
"De benaming Zalmforel is zo ingeburgerd dat er geen weg terug is." Completely understandable that this term is being used...
Maybe in Dutch, but the menu is in English (with a bit of pidgin Swedish thrown in). I've never heard of a "salmontrout".

In any case, it remains unclear to me what they are actually serving. Presumably a trout of some kind (there are 50+ species) which has been dry-cured Swedish style.

Johan
Old May 14, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I personally pretty much avoid KLM's on-board food in J now so perhaps that is what makes me unique. Terrible tasting, unhealthy stuff.
I have in recent years used KL for only one single longhaul destination, which happens to offer the Anytime for You concept. A lot more choice, nicer presentation, quality a step up, and I can eat when I feel like it.

Good enough for me.

Johan
Old May 16, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
It seems that the brown trout is also known as sea trout or salmon trout, so the name seems ok to me. Though I'm unlikely to go and spend €60 on a meal there. What is the case with wines there, is there a special to pay wine list ?
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the sake of clarity, it probably makes sense to call a salmon a salmon, and a trout a trout. "Salmon trout" is just like calling a certain African bird of prey a "harrier hawk": it can't be both, that just doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, restaurants and fish mongers are well known for serving/selling inferior fish under the guise of a fancier species. I'm of course in no way suggesting that's the case here, but it is apparently quite common. When it comes to fish, consumers are easily fooled.

Johan
Old May 17, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
For the sake of clarity, it probably makes sense to call a salmon a salmon, and a trout a trout.
If this is clarity that one is after, as distinct from etymological exactitude, what really matters is whether people are genuinely likely to be confused or misled. Sometimes, calling something which seems to a purist nonsensical may make sense because the target audience will understand the "wrong" term better. I do not think that there is a huge risk of the public being misled by this menu and I suspect that the overwhelming majority, who will have little familiarity with Nordic languages, will have a clearer idea of what is meant with Gravadlax of trout than with "Gravad trout" or "dry-cured trout." I suspect that for the majority of passengers likely to use "Blue", Gravadlax of trout would suggest that it will be a similar dish to gravadlax but with trout instead of salmon. "Gravad trout" would be more puzzling if you do not know that lax means salmon. First, you may not necessarily associate it with gravadlax. Even if you do, you may think that it is a different kind of preparation to that of gravadlax. As to "dry-cured trout", there are multiple ways to dry-cure a fish. Gravadlax of trout would suggests a scandinavian style of dry-curing.

So, all in all, for the average punter at Blue, I would have thought that "Gravadlax of trout" is probably clearer than most alternatives, however much it might grate to Scandinavian ears. We have to recognise that loanwords accepted in a different language tend to take on a different meaning and a life of their own in the language in which they are received.
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
(I suspect that most Swedes haven't the faintest idea what a Swede is, and that Americans are just as clueless).
Clueless American here. No idea what a swede is and unlikely to pay €19 to find out.
Originally Posted by NumbThumb
2. Vacation in J (Paid). Odds are if you’re paying such prices for a flight then these kinds of prices for a meal wouldn’t offend you.
I'm flying KLM this summer for vacation in paid J. I wouldn't say the prices offend me but I'm still not spending €29.50 for breakfast when the complimentary options I've had in the Crown Lounge in the past are perfectly fine.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Background Music

Has anyone else had problems with the loudness of the background music in the new Crown lounge? Is it now doubling as a night club or something?
Arrived from ICN this morning at 04:30, with 3hrs to kill before my flight to MAN.
At 05:00 the lounge was like a night club, playing ambient "chillout" music at an irritating volume. I complained to a couple of reception staff, but they seemed unable or unwilling to get the music turned down. Or off.
But at least the audio installers have done a good job. The ambient music is audible everywhere, even in the work zones of the lounge!

I stuck it out for 45 mins, There were about 30 people in there. If anything, the music was louder. So I retired to the Library zone in the main departure hall.

Last edited by mikem004; May 17, 2019 at 11:14 pm Reason: typo
Old May 20, 2019, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ShopAround
Clueless American here. No idea what a swede is and unlikely to pay €19 to find out.
Apparently, in your part of the world it's called Rutabaga or Swedish/Yellow turnip.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikem004
Has anyone else had problems with the loudness of the background music in the new Crown lounge?
Nope, but that's most likely because I have yet to set foot in that lounge. Thanks for the warning, another reason not to visit anytime soon.

I can't stand muzak. I like listening to the music of my choice, at a time and place of my choice. I do not want it imposed on me anywhere.

Johan
Old May 20, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShopAround
You can find out for $2/lb or so. WFM should be able to help. In season, i.e. fall/winter.

Johan
Old May 20, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm going to have to sell my entire delft house collection to be able to afford a meal in that restaurant. What was KLM thinking?
Old May 21, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
What was KLM thinking?
They must have come to the conclusion that they are the favorite airline of all the gourmets and epicures in this world. The gourmands all pick other airlines.

Johan
Old May 21, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Nope, but that's most likely because I have yet to set foot in that lounge. Thanks for the warning, another reason not to visit anytime soon.
I can't stand muzak. I like listening to the music of my choice, at a time and place of my choice. I do not want it imposed on me anywhere.
Johan
It seems strange of JLM to pump muzak into their flagship lounge, especially when most people nowadays carry their choice of music with them.
I would like to hear comments on whether my experience was an isolated case, what with it being an early Saturday morning and not many people in the lounge. Otherwise, I can see a lot of complaints from business travellers who want to do some actual work in the lounge.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm not sure this is the right thread, but here goes. I had a rather long layover non-Schengen to Schengen and decided to go to the 52 lounge after absolutely appalling food on the DL flight I was on. I am unable to understand to understand an airline can serve inedible food ex-hub, but again, I digress.... Back to lounge 52! I decided to go upstairs and seeing Blue Restaurant with only one other pax, I decided this was just what I needed. I was politely told this section was exempt from complimentary F&B, which I happily accepted. The restaurant is beautifully decorated and has a terrace section, although according to staff due to kerosene it's not really recommended for a longer time. It was a cold day in AMS, so staying inside was my plan anyway. I opted for the rib-eye and a glass of wine. The rib-eye was prepared to perfection, and I am fussy especially about steak. It was a steep price but nonetheless I was very impressed with the restaurant.

Edited to add: The currency conversion rates were really bad so definitely pay in Euros!
Boturham likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by keitherson
I'm going to have to sell my entire delft house collection to be able to afford a meal in that restaurant. What was KLM thinking?
Errm, in the UK the Jamie Oliver chain of gourmet restaurants has just gone to into administration... everyone who could walk into that restaurant and buy a meal high quality meal .. so at AMS where it is only Plat or Gold or Business class have the opportunity to spend a silly amount of euros for a base level food ... with daft amounts to have a ... €39 cheese toasty .?? ..Absolutely insane... This weekend the most patrions i saw in the blue restaurant was 6 .. ( over a 12 hr observant period ) ... so .. how on earth can this restaurant be financially viable ? .. it can not .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.