Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Q:Possible to upgrade/get better seats on KL209/KL210 China Airlines Codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes

I know that there are many ways to make a long haul economy flight more pleasant, if it is operated by KLM (exit row for 70 or 80 euros, bidding, buying upgrades at OLCI, with miles (even Skymiles) at bording...)
Now KL op flights TPE-AMS seem to be full or for some reason overprised on my travel date, so unless I go via HKG/PAR with AF, I need to fly China Airlines...

Is it possible to upgrade/get better seats on KL209/KL210 China Airlines Codeshare. All I found is the family couch, but for a single traveller that would be 1000 Euros each way, a bit too steep for my taste.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Are you sure KL209/210 are CI operated? If not, no family couch, but Economy Comfort.
For CI operated flights, you either look for slightly better Economy seats on Seat Guru, or you upgrade to Business (expensive, for a miles upgrade with FB you need full fare, makes only sense wben employer pays for high fare class).
Alternatively, maybe AF Premium Eco would be a solution for you?
​​
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Taipei (TPE) to Amsterdam (AMS) — Sat, Mar 18
KLM 210

Dep: 12:30 am

Arr: 7:15 am

13h 45m

Airbus A350

Economy (R)

[Meal]
OPERATED BY CHINA AIRLINES
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:27 am

China Airlines has PE on the 350, but I think the only way to upgrade is to pay for the fare difference or use miles.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The exit rows and bulkhead seats have an enormous amount of legroom and are free.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
OP: if you have Elite Plus status you will be better off on China Airlines. They will give you exit row/bulkhead seats for free.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.
I do have elite+ with alitalia, but according to what I read here, it is hard to secure an exit row seat ahead of time - not before check in. And then I read that almost all Taiwanese folks are elite+ flyers, so I will end up squeezed up for 13 hours with my 6'5 in a normal 31'' seat while all the exit rows are occupied by people a foot shorter than me... Booking KLM metal would at least guarantee the exit row for 63 Euros per leg plus the chance to upgrade to C for a few hundreds of E's or skymiles. Company does not allow C-tickets.

If I buy an open jaw (back from HKG or PVG), CI would check my luggage thru all the way, if I show them the KLM ticket to Europe, so I would not have to recheck it, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.