Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:53 am

If they gate check any bags, you have to wait for all of them to be offloaded first before they will allow passengers to disembark, it is not a big deal as this will not take more than 5 minutes.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
If they gate check any bags, you have to wait for all of them to be offloaded first before they will allow passengers to disembark, it is not a big deal as this will not take more than 5 minutes.
Jus 5 min to offload bags? I would guess it would be longer. But I appreciate your comment.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Schiphol Airport has an App available to help you though the airport. Details at https://www.schiphol.nl/en/download-the-schiphol-app
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bishop84
Schiphol Airport has an App available to help you though the airport. Details at https://www.schiphol.nl/en/download-the-schiphol-app
Do they have free WiFi at the airport? Might be on a limited cell plan.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Yes, unlimited free WiFi at Schiphol.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
Jus 5 min to offload bags? I would guess it would be longer. But I appreciate your comment.
I am talking about offloading gate checked bags, it's not like there are going to be 100s of those, more likely in the range of 20-30
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
You might be able to find the gate information online shortly before the flight, but given that you will be coming from BUD, just take a look at the monitors, it is far more efficient
I'm pretty sure the monitors will just say "D1" or "E4" and that's true even literally like 10 minutes before the actual gate closes. If there's a way to bypass the whole questioning procedure at those gates, it's highly unofficial and definitely not something they want anyone to do.

Now mind you I do believe there is a fast-track lane for short connections at D1 at least and if you're lucky with the agent there, the process can be completed in under 5 minutes.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I'm pretty sure the monitors will just say "D1" or "E4" and that's true even literally like 10 minutes before the actual gate closes. If there's a way to bypass the whole questioning procedure at those gates, it's highly unofficial and definitely not something they want anyone to do.

Now mind you I do believe there is a fast-track lane for short connections at D1 at least and if you're lucky with the agent there, the process can be completed in under 5 minutes.
Hmm that might indeed be the case, but then one must go to the security questioning regardless of what the monitors might or might not say.
Hiding the gate number doesn't necessarily prevent PAX from skipping the security questioning though if they really want to, so I hope there is some way for the GA to know if someone had gone through the questioning or not.
When you fly KL to TLV, they put a sticker on your passport (even though the security questioning is done at the gate), so I'd guess they do the same for US bound flights.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:32 pm

I am not 100% sure because I try not to dwell on being interrogated on my life by some random contract staffer at an airport but I am pretty sure they mark your boarding pass.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by zitsky
I see.
[ and all those who are questioning AMS ability to sluice you through efficiently ].

May I suggest that you consider travelling through another transfer point than AMS?
AMS is one terminal.
AMS is one level.
AMS has the world's clearest signage.
AMS signs show you walking distance (in time, for average legs)
AMS has immigration (and ex-) controls where required by law.
AMS has, for those cases, special lanes for people who can show that they believe they have a tight connection.
AMS has cleaning teams trained in mopping up the mess of pax whose knickers get in a twist or moisture incident. despite these above measures.
AMS has a very clear limit to pax volumes and flights (I live nearby, and I am a co-funder of the whole shebangle).
AMS will become increasingly discerning in who transits here.
YOU might find that we have decreasing patience with all these queries.
YOU may be much happier elsewhere.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulRO
[ and all those who are questioning AMS ability to sluice you through efficiently ].
Thank you. That's a rather odd passive aggressive post. You could have just said "don't worry". I did find the main AMS connection thread and I will read the whole thing. AMS is new to me which is why I had questions.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by PaulRO

May I suggest that you consider travelling through another transfer point than AMS?
AMS is one terminal.
AMS is one level.
AMS has the world's clearest signage.
AMS signs show you walking distance (in time, for average legs)
AMS has immigration (and ex-) controls where required by law.
AMS has, for those cases, special lanes for people who can show that they believe they have a tight connection.
AMS has cleaning teams trained in mopping up the mess of pax whose knickers get in a twist or moisture incident. despite these above measures.
AMS has a very clear limit to pax volumes and flights (I live nearby, and I am a co-funder of the whole shebangle).
AMS will become increasingly discerning in who transits here.
YOU might find that we have decreasing patience with all these queries.
YOU may be much happier elsewhere.
Hear, hear. I've literally never been disappointed in AMS's ability to move people in and out of the country efficiently. I love coming home to it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Hear, hear. I've literally never been disappointed in AMS's ability to move people in and out of the country efficiently. I love coming home to it.
Agree here too, though it I believe it is not considered politically correct to say such things around these parts
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Unless you're stuck at the passport check on arrival for 35 minutes, because only one KM officer checks passports for the queue stretching all the way to the stairs.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJCNL
Agree here too, though it I believe it is not considered politically correct to say such things around these parts
Huh? Why would anyone have a problem with that statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.