Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's with KL and all the ETA glitches for travel to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
What's with KL and all the ETA glitches for travel to Canada?

Flight from AMS-YYC.

I'm a Canadian permanent resident, travelling on a UK passport. My brother is a temporary resident with a four year visa.

Neither of us need an ETA for Canada obviously. In fact, Canadian Resident's can't even apply for one.

Both of us on different PNR's.

However online check-in wouldn't work for either of us, even though it showed country of residence as Canada in the API information fields. Said we needed an ETA.

Got to airport 2 hours prior with hand baggage only, and yet almost didn't make the flight as KL said they couldn't check us in without an ETA. Lots of arguing back and forth and stuck at check-in for hours, and finally got separated middle seats as that was all that was left and told we were lucky to get on the flight at all.

This can't be that rare an occurence for someone who is a Canadian Resident or Visa holder to be travelling on EU passport - so what the *$!# KL?

Any thoughts on how to avoid this in future or is it just KLM's crappy systems and training for airport agents?

ETA for Canada

New entry requirement now in effect: visa-exempt foreign nationals need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Interesting, couple of quick questions.

Did you present a valid PR card on checking in? Where did your journey start, in Canada or Europe? Once you got to the gate were your documents reviewed again?

Sounds like you got a raw deal. If both sets of documents were valid then you should have been allowed to check-in with little fuss. Looks like a case of inexperienced staff dealing with new rules.

I'd keep KLMs timatic page bookmarked in your device for future reference at the check-in desk just in case.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...c/visaform.htm

eTA rollout has been nothing short of a disaster for the Canadian government.

EDIT: Or you can show KL agents their own webpage

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...c/index.htm#p1
Changed entry rules for Canada:

Travellers to or via Canada are expected to show an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)  before boarding their flight. We recommend that you apply for an eTA online via the website of the Canadian authorities . This rule does not apply to document holders of Canada and the United States, Canadian permanent residents or travellers with a valid visa for Canada.

Last edited by majik; Nov 21, 2016 at 5:11 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by majik
Interesting, couple of quick questions.

Did you present a valid PR card on checking in? Where did your journey start, in Canada or Europe? Once you got to the gate were your documents reviewed again?

Sounds like you got a raw deal. If both sets of documents were valid then you should have been allowed to check-in with little fuss. Looks like a case of inexperienced staff dealing with new rules.

I'd keep KLMs timatic page bookmarked in your device for future reference at the check-in desk just in case.

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...c/visaform.htm

eTA rollout has been nothing short of a disaster for the Canadian government.
Did have a PR card. My brother had a Visa (still valid) plus was also entering as a new PR (with official PR landing documents)

The KL staff could see the Visa and PR card but said they were not able to do check-in without an ETA. In the end we kicked up such a stink they just gave us a piece of paper with a bar code (not a boarding pass) with a seat number written on it - was weird.

I guess we really were lucky. At least 3 people today were not given an exception and were denied check-in.

KL had a separate desk with a lead agent whose only job was to try and help people get ETA's. CIC site was down today and couldn't process payments and so I guess those 3 people got left behind.

In our case, we didn't need an ETA but they still wanted us to try and get one. Apparently they can't check you in without it. How does that happen? So even though they agreed we didn't need one, they couldn't let us check-in. I hope they fix this soon and definite heads up to anyone coming to Canada soon.

Agree it's a disaster for the ETA and CIC technology absolutely sucks, it is an embarrassment.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:19 am

So basically it was an IT issue, which has been the main stumbling block for the eTA program all along.

Funnily enough I questioned how the system would work for PR card holders some months back in the Canada forum.

I was hounded for daring to suggest that the new system would inconvenience PR card holders! Well...

There are other posters on the UA & AC forums dealing with similar situations, it's a joke.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:19 am

OK so a little update. I am Canadian PR and was doing my regular YVR-YYC-AMS-ORK run this past week. Here are few observations I noted on the journey so far now that eTA is up and running

- Checked in at YVR on WS KL codeshare. For the first time I was asked by WS agent if I was a resident. He asked to see my PR card. He inspected it but did not enter the number. He also asked for an emergency contact number, again never been asked for this before. Don't know if the phone number goes to CBSA.

- For return leg I made sure to add my PR card and residency details to the KLM API via the website. Make sure you add the PR card number and not your Client ID number.

- The ORK sector of the journey is operated by EI. This means online checkin for the return is not possible on KLM.com however I can check-in for the ORK-AMS leg on EIs website. I usually input passport details but noted they were greyed out this time, probably because maybe of data push I did via KLM API?

- Once at AMS went to transfer kiosk. Scanned passport, crossed fingers, I had played out numerous scenarios if check-in did not work. Noticed the spinning wheel spun a little longer than normal, but hey presto, checked in no problem all the way to YVR.

Update

- Went to the gate. Got the dreaded red light no board on the BP scanner, uh oh I thought. Went to the desk, a few keystrokes and another passport swipe later and I was good to board.

So starting your journey in Canada and pushing your PR data in KL API may help. I'm guessing that KL have some internal workaround to board PRs hence the PP swipe at the gate?

Last edited by majik; Nov 23, 2016 at 8:09 pm
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
FYI - there are flights available from SEA to ORK for Dec 2016-May 2017 for as little as US$428 on other carriers (AC/EI) and from around US$450 upwards on DL/KL/EI

https://www.google.nl/flights/?curr=...3;r=2017-05-13

For DUB, the price drops to US$386, or around US$399 on DL/KL/AF
(The rest of Europe is also available for less than US$500, with the *A guys having shifted the locus of cheapest destinations away from DUB. I saw IST for around US$350 this morning on AC; but most of Central and Eastern Europe is available for little more than US$400)

The US$600 savings [based on the fares with an origina of YVR] probably make the trip down south worthwhile...if the Trudeau administration hasn't built a wall by then, that is
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
- The ORK sector of the journey is operated by EI. This means online checkin for the return is not possible on KLM.com however I can check-in for the ORK-AMS leg on EIs website. I usually input passport details but noted they were greyed out this time, probably because maybe of data push I did via KLM API?
This is a recent change - probably due to the recent "cooling" of the KL/EI relationship, or maybe just a natural consequence of EI's entering the IAG fold.

KL used to handle all aspects of EI's operation in AMS - ground handling, check in (at the airport, and online - all EI tickets from AMS had to check in via the KLM website), lounge, etc etc. Now, however, KL no longer handles any aspect of the EI operation (maybe still the lounge, but I haven't tested that one).
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
FYI - there are flights available from SEA to ORK for Dec 2016-May 2017 for as little as US$428 on other carriers (AC/EI) and from around US$450 upwards on DL/KL/EI

https://www.google.nl/flights/?curr=...3;r=2017-05-13

For DUB, the price drops to US$386, or around US$399 on DL/KL/AF
(The rest of Europe is also available for less than US$500, with the *A guys having shifted the locus of cheapest destinations away from DUB. I saw IST for around US$350 this morning on AC; but most of Central and Eastern Europe is available for little more than US$400)

The US$600 savings [based on the fares with an origina of YVR] probably make the trip down south worthwhile...if the Trudeau administration hasn't built a wall by then, that is
Thanks, I did recently look at the EI/AC option now that they are both in T2 in LHR. To make the right connections for ORK means a transfer in YYZ or YUL Also need to reclear security in LHR, which is a pain, just hate LHR for that reason alone. AMS is such a breeze compared to LHR and the connection times work, especially on the outbound legs.

I liked flying NWA out of SEA via AMS back in the day, but it always necessitated an early 6am start at YVR due to pre-clearance. I hated when DL took over but they look like they're getting their act together, plus the new SkyClub in SEA looks great. I'll be through SEA next week and will check out the club, so DL via SEA/AMS may go back on the preferred list!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:34 pm

Permanent Residency Card

OK so a little update. I am Canadian PR and was doing my regular YVR-YYC-AMS-ORK run this past week. Here are few observations I noted on the journey so far now that eTA is up and running

- Checked in at YVR on WS KL codeshare. For the first time I was asked by WS agent if I was a resident. He asked to see my PR card. He inspected it but did not enter the number. He also asked for an emergency contact number, again never been asked for this before. Don't know if the phone number goes to CBSA.

- For return leg I made sure to add my PR card and residency details to the KLM API via the website. Make sure you add the PR card number and not your Client ID number.

- Once at AMS went to transfer kiosk. Scanned passport, crossed fingers, I had played out numerous scenarios if check-in did not work. Noticed the spinning wheel spun a little longer than normal, but hey presto, checked in no problem all the way to YVR.

Update

- Went to the gate. Got the dreaded red light no board on the BP scanner, uh oh I thought. Went to the desk, a few keystrokes and another passport swipe later and I was good to board.

So starting your journey in Canada and pushing your PR data in KL API may help. I'm guessing that KL have some internal workaround to board PRs hence the PP swipe at the gate?
Hi,

Where did you enter the number, in the Green card option and then omit the '-' from the card number, since the format is XXXX-XXXX on my card?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:17 am

I go to the API page in my booking. Along with your passport details make sure to add your country of residence, Canada. Then add a new travel document. Select Permanent Resident Card and fill in the details. The PR card number is not your Client ID number. The card number is usually on the back at the top. Check with CIC website as the design has changed recently.

Last edited by majik; Mar 25, 2017 at 2:23 am
Old May 1, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Miles and More
I am flying out tomorrow AMS-YUL, OLCI is already open, but I cannot find any option to add my PR details in my API. And I get ETA required error, so can not choose seats and complette CI. In fact, I do not see any API related to this specific PNR, just general API in my FB profile. Could you please point me in the right direction? TIA!
Old May 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Permanent Residents of the US currently cannot complete OLCI, it might be the same for Canada. Complained about this with KLM but nobody seems in any rush to fix this.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by caliform
Permanent Residents of the US currently cannot complete OLCI, it might be the same for Canada. Complained about this with KLM but nobody seems in any rush to fix this.
So odd. No such problem with AF.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:55 pm

Wink

folks,
try tweeting @KLM ; they respond superfast and will atleast get your concern over to IT
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

I have had the same experience all year, with several airlines: it is impossible to check in online, or even at a kiosk, when traveling internationally to Canada on a passport of a visa-exempt country if you are a Permanent Resident of Canada. The system invariably requires an eTA, which cannot be obtained by Permanent Residents, so the only alternative is to go to an agent (waiting in line for whatever time is required) and have them enter the PR number (or the Client ID, I am not sure) into the system. And it usually takes a while, since they may not be familiar with the procedure.

I find it difficult to understand why the Canadian Government makes it easier for tourists to travel to Canada rather than those who live there. I also have a NEXUS Card, for which I had to go through background checks and interviews in two countries, and still that counts for nothing when trying to check in online for a flight home.

The worst part is that nobody seems to care, and there is really nobody to complain to. If anyone has any idea, I am happy to follow them up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.