Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About to become FB Gold - what can I expect/look forward to?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ditto
Not in NL, I always use my Amex when paying with paypal. (unless this is some limitation of KL?)
KLM does not allow paying with Amex through Paypal.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 am

From the KLM website:

PayPal: accepted on KLM.com in around 40 countries (not possible with American Express Cards).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:30 am

I am very close to Gold as well. I need just 4 more flights. If I get there before 31st December does the gold then last for the following year? Also on that "30th" flight do I then get gold status or will I have to wait for my 31st?

Thanks
Neil
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by NeilFly
I am very close to Gold as well. I need just 4 more flights. If I get there before 31st December does the gold then last for the following year? Also on that "30th" flight do I then get gold status or will I have to wait for my 31st?

Thanks
Neil
Yes, stutus lasts for the year you reached it in plus the following year. That means you will have gold until the end of march 2018.

You will get gold when you have completed the 30th flight.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
Not in NL, I always use my Amex when paying with paypal. (unless this is some limitation of KL?)
Sorry, I should have clarified: When using Paypal on the KLM website it does not allow to use an Amex card. It forces you to either add another card to your paypal account - or pay through bank/iDeal. Amex and Paypal generally work together fine, just not on the KLM website.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 15, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
To the OP: with your move to Gold you will move up the pecking order for upgrades. It all depends on whatever criteria the airline is using. I find most of my upgrades happening on Air France when flights are full. Very rarely on KLM.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Tnowadays this has more to do with the fare than the status level - I have seen Silver members being upgraded on full fare, while I as Gold was not upgraded on a cheaper ticket.
Which airline did that happen on? Do you know the exact formula they use?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Yes, stutus lasts for the year you reached it in plus the following year. That means you will have gold until the end of march 2018.

Great, thanks for your reply.

Another question. Do you have to physically take the flights to accredit the miles/flights or can you just buy the ticket and not check in?

Also do AF flights count towards my 30 for KLM gold?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:47 am

Another question. Do you have to physically take the flights to accredit the miles/flights or can you just buy the ticket and not check in?
You need to make sure that the barcode on either your paper or electronic boarding pass gets scanned just before stepping on to the jet-bridge and enter the aircraft [for the points to be registered on your account]

Also do AF flights count towards my 30 for KLM gold?
They do indeed. And there's no KLM Gold as such, as both airlines (and others) share the same frequent flyer program, called Flying Blue You can also fly with any other airline within the Sky Team alliance: based on eligible fares etc., activity on those airlines will also count towards your qualifying progress.

G
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:49 am

It is not KLM Gold, but Flying Blue Gold.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
To the OP: with your move to Gold you will move up the pecking order for upgrades. It all depends on whatever criteria the airline is using. I find most of my upgrades happening on Air France when flights are full. Very rarely on KLM.
+1

That's the reason I'm going to shift some of my flights to AF on certains routes.
Also, getting a tiny bit bored of connecting in AMS and always being on time. I want more unexpected !
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Technically, you will qualify for gold when you have completed the 30th flight. You will only get gold when the flights post to your FB account. And even then you don't get the benefits on existing itineraries without some kind of intervention.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Weean
Technically, you will qualify for gold when you have completed the 30th flight. You will only get gold when the flights post to your FB account. And even then you don't get the benefits on existing itineraries without some kind of intervention.
The account will show the new status almost immediately (overnight, in normal circumstances) when using the retroclaim tool.

G
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
The account will show the new status almost immediately (overnight, in normal circumstances) when using the retroclaim tool.

G
True and the FB number needs to be removed and re-added in order for the new status to show in existing reservations.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
In 60 KLM flights Travelling Economy when Gold: One gate upgrade; a few times when the exit row was empty I was asked if I wanted to move to there, thank you; once when short haul Business Class was empty I was offered a seat up there (no food, only the seat).
A few times the senior crew member has come over to my seat and talked to me specially to see if I was having a nice day.
And if there are delays, weather cancellations your status will be very valuable.

All adds up to three quarters of nothing much - lounge use is the big thing for me as I always connect through AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.