Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get from AMS to Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Best way to get from AMS to Brussels

I have a trip coming up that involves stops on both Amsterdam and Brussels. My question for the AMS experts is: what is the best way between the AMS and Brussels?

My options are:

IAH-AMS then AMS-BRU then BRU-XXX-IAH all by air
IAH-AMS by air then Amsterdam to Brussels by train then BRU-XXX-IAH by air
IAH-AMS by air then Amsterdam to Brussels and return by train then AMS-IAH by air

Which would you choose and why?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:17 pm

Train - Not even close.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Train, although it may be more convenient at the AMS airport than at the BRU airport, so that AMS-Brussels might work better than Amsterdam-BRU, but you should check schedules from your travel times. My impression is that there's a more major train station underneath AMS than at BRU, where train service is a more recent development.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I would fly directly to AMS/BRU, depending on where you want to start your trip, and fly back from the other... using the train one-way in between.

MSPeconomist is correct in saying that Schiphol has a slightly better airport (and has been there for a long time). The high-speed, long-distance Thalys trains stop there between Brussels and Amsterdam, whereas they don't pass through the station underneath BRU.

It is possible to take the Thalys to/from downtown Brussels directly in conjunction with your flight. Try routing yourself to ZYR (the code for Brussels Midi) instead of BRU, although my experience is that this will send you via CDG instead (which also has a great long-distance train station in the airport).
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Train gets you directly between the centre of Brussels (Midi/Zuid, i.e. South, which is the main Brussels station) and AMS (Schiphol). There is a faster Thalys train that takes about 1:30hours and a slower InterCity that takes about 2:30hours. IC is significantly cheaper. At least some (can't remember if all) trains also stop at the other major Brussels stations, i.e. Centrale/Centraal and Nord/Noord.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
When the Beneluxtrein service was re-introduced after the disastrous Fyra service was scrapped, Brussels airport was added as a new stop.

If you are travelling from AMS to BRU (the airports), don't bother with Thalys. Take the slower train, which departs hourly during daytime. The journey takes 2h42m according to the timetable. The journey on Thalys (which requires a change of train in Brussels) will get you there only about 20 minutes faster (or slower, if you do not make the transfer in an optimal manner) but at a higher cost and with lower frequency of service.

Note that a ticket to Brussel Nationaal Luchthaven will cost more than a ticket to the more distant Brussels city stations, due to the Diabolo surcharge levied on all passengers disembarking at the airport. This charge is unavoidable and if you try to exit at BRU with a cheaper ticket destined for any of the Brussels city stations, your ticket will not open the gates on arrival at the airport and you will need to seek assistance and pay the supplement.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 9, 2016 at 11:34 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:27 am

If you require flexibility the IC train is the better option because you can buy relatively cheap tickets on the spot (and booked tickets are valid for any train on the same day if I recall correctly). With Thalys or air travel flexibility comes at a much higher price.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Thanks everyone for the input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.