Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
How are KLM 744s in Y?

Hi guys,

How are KLM 744s in Y?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:58 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
I no longer travel in Y but had a trip on the 744 in Y recently and it was very good compared to the rest of the fleet, the seats are much wider then the 777. I really recommend you pay for Economy comfort, it's a small separate cabin on the left side of the plane, all seats in EC have excellent pitch and recline.

The 744 Y reminds me of "old world Y", not as cramped as newer planes such as the 777 or 787...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks TLVtravler.
Do they have AVOD in all classes?
I love the 744, but I am afraid they are more prone to tech issues due to their age...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Originally Posted by LY777
Thanks TLVtravler.
Do they have AVOD in all classes?
I love the 744, but I am afraid they are more prone to tech issues due to their age...
Absolutely, everyone has personal screens onboard the 744.

Some of the 747 fleet is actually not that old (less then 15 years), they are overall reliable birds, not to mention KL has a huge fleet of 747 so even if one goes tech it's easy to substitute it with another one..
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:27 am

Another huge upside of the 744 is the massive amount of J seats which gives you a good chance of OLCI upgrade offer - if that's something you might be interested in...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler

Some of the 747 fleet is actually not that old (less then 15 years), they are overall reliable birds, not to mention KL has a huge fleet of 747 so even if one goes tech it's easy to substitute it with another one..
ok
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Another huge upside of the 744 is the massive amount of J seats which gives you a good chance of OLCI upgrade offer - if that's something you might be interested in...
no
I won't pay extra for J
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another huge upside of the 744 is the massive amount of J seats.
Many airlines have far more J seats in their 744s, and some even have F class too.

The 744 ratio of J to Y seats is almost identical to that of the 773, and the 772 with new J has a much better ratio.

It is of course a different story for the 74M.

Johan
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Many airlines have far more J seats in their 744s, and some even have F class too.

The 744 ratio of J to Y seats is almost identical to that of the 773, and the 772 with new J has a much better ratio.

It is of course a different story for the 74M.

Johan
Well, when it comes to KL's 747 fleet it's important to remember that almost all planes are combi (17 out of 22), so I was indeed talking mainly about the 74M...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Where does KLM use the non-combi 744s?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LY777
Where does KLM use the non-combi 744s?
I believe it varies by season, but I'm on full passenger (non-combi) 744s on all legs of LAX-AMS-DEL-AMS-LAX in December.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:05 am
Original Poster

ok
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
I travel to Amsterdam from Shanghai almost every year and I always get the B747 Combi version. I would say that their Y class seats are okay at best. Leg room is decent and each seat has PTV. However, bear in mind that these planes are the workhorses and it has been a while since the Y cabin was refurbished. So having said that, sometimes I get seats with very thin cushion (probably because of wear and tear) and the PTV is hmm I would say first generation AVOD. The screen resolution is not very good and the headphones they give is also not very good.

I agree that if you have the chance to purchase Economy Comfort, it is worth the money on a long-haul flight because the leg room is bigger and the cabin is very small. It feels a lot more intimate and less people making noises. Plus you get a dedicated cabin crew.

Regarding upgrade to J, actually, after the J cabin was refurbished, the total number of seats decreased. So I think in this case you will have less chance to upgrade to J.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:11 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

And boy oh boy do they look BEAUTIFUL in that KLM Blue.....majestic AF!!! ^^

(Flying in my first 747 LAX-AMS in November! Hoping to buy up to J!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:55 pm

I've gone out of my way in the past to fly the KLM 744 on routes that also offer other equipment (as is the case at JFK). The Economy Comfort cabin is indeed very nice (for an economy product). its quiet, spacious and nicely separated from the rest of economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.