Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

KLM Check-in staff screwed up visa rule and delayed me by 24 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Check-in staff screwed up visa rule and delayed me by 24 hours

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jochen_vdk
No. The airline is responsible for the passengers they bring in a country. If you are sent back at destination, because you don't have valid documents, the airline will get a hefty fine and is also responsible for taking you back to your point of departure.

So, yes, they will prevent you from travelling if you do not have the documents. It is not only your risk.

That said, they should of course know the rules and not prevent you from travelling if you do have the right docs.
It could be even worse than a fine for an errant airline

Some countries state they will revoke the airlines route authorisation if airline carries passengers without required checks which could be visa or even simpler requirement of an exit flight within xx days of arrival

Eg klm is very strict about flights to Philippines/Manila and insists you gave not just return/exit flight but also printed confirmation of the exit flight itinary, even if exit is same reservation return klm flight that checkin agent can see
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
Seems to me that if he was allowed with the exact same passport 24 hrs later, he shouldn't have been denied boarding the first time around.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KrnGrs
Seems to me that if he was allowed with the exact same passport 24 hrs later, he shouldn't have been denied boarding the first time around.
That is exactly what is pissing me off. When I showed up at the airport on the next day with SAME documents plus a print out from the State Department website, the SAME check-in manager issued boarding passes for the SAME itinerary. In fact, the manager mentioned that he did not recognize the fact that I had already obtained the travel visa and apologized.

To me, it seems very arbitrary on the manager's behalf. Other than emailing KLM's customer care, should I pursue any other alternatives?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by actuary0123
That is exactly what is pissing me off. When I showed up at the airport on the next day with SAME documents plus a print out from the State Department website, the SAME check-in manager issued boarding passes for the SAME itinerary. In fact, the manager mentioned that he did not recognize the fact that I had already obtained the travel visa and apologized.

To me, it seems very arbitrary on the manager's behalf. Other than emailing KLM's customer care, should I pursue any other alternatives?
It seems that you are saying you didn't point out on the first day that you already had the visa. Otherwise why would the manager say that he did not recognize you already had it.

Should he have recognized it without you pointing it out? Maybe, maybe not, but in the discussion you had on the first day when they told you you didn't have enough pages, it seems that you would have pointed out that you already had the visa.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I would not consider flying anywhere with a half free page in my passport even to a visa-free or visa-on-arrival country unless it's an emergency, which I'm not sure this is.
I would be petrified to leave my home country with only a half page. I never act as if I know it all. I would never assume half a page will suffice no matter how many times I check into something. There is such a thing as working ahead to prepare for ever contingency including the unexpected.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by NickB
For a start, Timatic says that the page is needed for the VAS, stamps, etc... If you already have your visa, you do not need space for the VAS since you already have it. It seems to me that Timatic is, at best, ambiguous on what happens when one already has a visa (since it does not seem to contemplate that situation). The agent should really have communicated with Tanzanian authorities to clarify the issue. In any event, even if Timatic was crystal clear, Timatic is not an official channel of communication of the Tanzanian authorities and it cannot be ruled out that Timatic might be wrong. Should that be the case, we would be in a situation of denied boarding.

Personally, I do not believe that I have enough information nor know enough about Tanzanian formal requirements from a sufficiently authoritative source to form a definitive view. Not only is Timatic ambiguous but it is also not, from this perspective, a sufficiently authoritative source: it is merely a private database set up and maintained by IATA. IATA is a private trade association, not a Tanzanian governmental authority.
Many countries rely on private aggregators to publish accurate law. In the US, one can of course go to the original source court file and look at anything you want. But, West Publishing, a private company prints the recognized official report of published opinions and those decisions are cited the world round based on West's citation system.

TIMATIC is simply a database. It does not interpret the law. The question is whether it is a reliable reference.

It is for exactly the reasons that you point out that agents need a simple reference source. Perhaps a KL agent at ORD might reasonably know what a USN requires in order to enter the Netherlands at termination of the flight he is boarding. But, once it gets more complicated than that, TIMATIC seems pretty accurate and useful.

I see no ambiguity in the TIMATIC reference. A blank page is required. It does not suggest that the requirement is waived if one already has the visa. It makes no sense but many rules of this nature make no sense.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
It seems that you are saying you didn't point out on the first day that you already had the visa. Otherwise why would the manager say that he did not recognize you already had it.

Should he have recognized it without you pointing it out? Maybe, maybe not, but in the discussion you had on the first day when they told you you didn't have enough pages, it seems that you would have pointed out that you already had the visa.

I showed the visa to the KLM staff on the first day but they kept insisting on the blank page.

Next day, I took one additional document with me (guideline from the State Dept) and informed the staff about the visa policy. The manager apologized and provided the boarding pass.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Many countries rely on private aggregators to publish accurate law. In the US, one can of course go to the original source court file and look at anything you want. But, West Publishing, a private company prints the recognized official report of published opinions and those decisions are cited the world round based on West's citation system.
That is not remotely comparable. The governments of the world have not mandated, de jure or de facto, Timatic with publication of official immigration rules on admission to their territory. Timatic is a database produced by IATA for the benefit of its members. In other words, it is a service by airlines to airlines. It has an authority comparable to that which a handbook published by an airline for its employees would have.

TIMATIC is simply a database. It does not interpret the law. The question is whether it is a reliable reference.

It is for exactly the reasons that you point out that agents need a simple reference source. Perhaps a KL agent at ORD might reasonably know what a USN requires in order to enter the Netherlands at termination of the flight he is boarding. But, once it gets more complicated than that, TIMATIC seems pretty accurate and useful.
It may be "useful" and it may be reasonable for an agent to use Timatic in the same way as an airline publishing a manual for its employees on immigration rules and practice in some countries may be "useful" and it would be appropriate for an agent to use such a manual.
But that still does not give it any official authority. And if the Tanzanian immigration authorities do not in reality require somebody who already has a visa to have a passport with a full blank page, then it means that the individual had the required documentation when he presented himself at check-in and that he was, therefore wrongly IDB'd, and it does not matter what timatic says.

I see no ambiguity in the TIMATIC reference.
I think that we will have to agree to disagree on this but, in any event, this makes ultimately no difference. The issue is not what what is or is not in timatic but rather what the Tanzanian authorities actually require from a person seeking entry.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Some People seem to think that IATA make up the rules stated in Timatic out of thin air. In fact, they have government contacts in all countries notifying them of changes.

Now, of course a lot of technologically-behind countries change their policies overnight and are lazy to notify IATA or otherwise announce it. Still Timatic is meant to display actual practice at the border.

That said, their info is sometimes outdated, which is why I have contact with its sourcing manager and message him whenever I have reason to think something is outdated and have evidence pointing towards it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
KLM owes the OP EUR 600 in EC 261/2004 compensation.
If KLM misinterpreted visa rules, it's their problem.
Denied boarding compensation is not limited to a set of specific cases (e.g. overbooking). This is comparable to the DOT rules. It applies to virtually to all non-extraordinary cases, where the fault lies with the airline or its suppliers.

Last edited by warakorn; Jul 24, 2017 at 4:04 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Passports and passport replacing documents of all visitors
must contain at least 1 unused visa page for Visa
Administration Sticker (VAS), stamps, etc.

Period.

No where on TIMATIC does it say that this requirement for TANZANIA is waived if the traveler has already obtained an entry visa prior to travel.

You are lucky to have traveled the next day!
I suggest you take this as a bitter lesson and move on.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This seems complicated enough that you'd have to have it looked at in court. Not worth your time. It seems KLM was following rules. Perhaps they were following the wrong rules, but no forum can really put you in the right or wrong here. I suggest cutting your losses and moving on*.

* Also, getting a new passport.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:57 am

Timatic is inherently conservative - it has to be otherwise it's pointless. Airlines make Timatic available to check prior to flights so that you avoid these situations. Yes you had the visa in your passport, but how does a check in agent know that Tanzania doesn't still require a blank page for whatever reason they want.

I'd take this as a fly to close to the sun, occasionally lose scenario. Whenever I enter a country I'm not familiar with, I run a Timatic report and check that I'm fine - not just close but I fulfil every line there is. Is this overly cautious - absolutely and I almost certainly would have been able to chance things if I wanted to, but on the other hand I've never lost a day to visa interpretations either.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Since this event happened over two years ago, I think we can safely say that the case is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.