Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM houses and security on connections

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I had it out in the open in my carryon (not in a secure KLM bag), and went through multiple other airports, no issues whatsoever.
I would not assume that this would be safe. You just need one security agent to be pernickety for the house to be history. Far safer to play by the rules and get it bagged.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
I would not assume that this would be safe. You just need one security agent to be pernickety for the house to be history. Far safer to play by the rules and get it bagged.
I flew from AMS to CTU, and had onward flights. KLM crew didn't place in bag for any pax.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew from AMS to CTU, and had onward flights. KLM crew didn't place in bag for any pax.
You were lucky. Chinese security can be pernickety, especially as Chinese rules do not allow alcohol in carry-ons, in whichever container. I had security at HGH requiring that my huisje be emptied of its jenever content for me to be allowed to keep it.
The bag would be useless at that end anyway. the bagging is only useful for onward carry-on within Europe and a handful of other destinations with comparable rules (possibly the US).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NickB
I think you got it the wrong way around. The problem is not getting a huisje safely from EDI-AMS to AMS-DXB bur rather from DXB-AMS to AMS-EDI. As mfkne rightly points out, you could only avoid security at AMS if DXB was considered a safe origin, which I do not think it is. So, the OP will need to get the KL staff on board to put the huisje in a small duty-free-type bag, which is a routine operation that staff on board and security staff at AMS are very familiar with and will enable the OP to carry the huisje safely onwards to EDI without it being seized at AMS security.
My bad! I completely misread the following part of the OP's question, thinking that he/she was additionally asking about return flights from Scotland to AMS and then to the Dubai though otherwise, what I said does still apply to AMS, though not about the clean arrivals part...

Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
Also is there another set of security at the gate for the Scottish flight, I did wonder about buying dutyfree prior to boarding business class for my Scottish flight.
So, with that in mind... the same of what I said about EDI applies in AMS, as there is no additional security at the gate for the flight to Scotland, so you should be able to bring duty free liquor bought in AMS.

And also, talking about that, in other airports where security checks are done at the gate (like SIN or KUL for example), they will seal the duty free liquor to make sure that you can bring it past security at the gate.

Additionally I've carried the houses (i got two, had a great crew ) during transits inside a resealable plastic bag w/o problems, then again, I do have to emphasise that the bottles (at least the more recent ones), does not exceed 100 ml, and the ones I have (of varying size and shapes) shows the content amount to be uniform at 35 ml which is way below the 100 ml rule.

I'm sure KL have put a thought on this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:36 am

Aye

Hi,

Thanks for all the information.

I'm flying to Inverness from Dubai via Schiphol, about a 3 hour 40 min stay inbetween flights.

I didn't realise you were given a "gin house" if you fly business and didn't want it shall we say liberated by security at Amsterdam.

So after reading the posts I should be able to take through the wee gin house without problems to my next flight to Scotland providing the nice KLM staff put it in a wee bag.

I forgot to ask, is lounge 25, the Crown Lounge easy to find, as lounge 52 is getting renovated as I understand it from the KLM website.

Thanks again ladies and gents, your help is greatly appreciated.

:-)
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
You will not have access to lounge 25 because it is in the Schengen area, and you have no boarding pass for a flight from there.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Giantlonglegs
Hi,

Thanks for all the information.

I'm flying to Inverness from Dubai via Schiphol, about a 3 hour 40 min stay inbetween flights.

I didn't realise you were given a "gin house" if you fly business and didn't want it shall we say liberated by security at Amsterdam.

So after reading the posts I should be able to take through the wee gin house without problems to my next flight to Scotland providing the nice KLM staff put it in a wee bag.

I forgot to ask, is lounge 25, the Crown Lounge easy to find, as lounge 52 is getting renovated as I understand it from the KLM website.

Thanks again ladies and gents, your help is greatly appreciated.

:-)
Lounge 25 is in the Schengen Area. As you’re flying to Inverness, you’ll only get access to the Lounge 52 in the non-schengen area. Lounge 52 should remain open despite the renovations.

anyhow, safe travels mate!

*edit: seems like mfkne beated me to saying the above *
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
FWIW -- I flew AMS-PEK-CTU, KL ticketed on CS flight. I had a house that I'd gotten the week before flying JFK-AMS. And I only travel with carry-on.
Chinese security in PEK called out the house in my bag "souvenier". I took it out and showed that I'd opened it and it was empty and there were no problems.
In CTU flying home, Chinese security did not ask about the house.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I got my latest huisje on a recent SIN-DPS flight that I did on points - biz barely more expensive as Y (yes, they hand it out there on a 2.5 hour flight!). Saw a problem coming since will travel all over Indonesia before heading home from Jakarta in 2.5 weeks with hand luggage only. The suggested solution of the helpful FA: 'Drink it! Or, alternatively, I can empty it for you in the on board waste bin'. I am not going to take any chances loosing my precious huisje to security so will enjoy a glass of Dutch Jenever one of these days on Bali. The volume is only 35 ml though so formally you could have it in your 1 liter transparent liquid bag I guess....
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
The volume is only 35 ml though so formally you could have it in your 1 liter transparent liquid bag I guess....
Of course you can. I've transported countless houses that way, through any number of security checkpoints.

The largest number of houses I've managed to squeeze into one of those 1-liter bags is four.

Johan
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
For what it's worth, if security gives you a hard time you can also just empty it when they raise a stink. A pen pops the cork in pretty easily, then you just pour the contents and take the house.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
The volume is only 35 ml though so formally you could have it in your 1 liter transparent liquid bag I guess....
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Of course you can. I've transported countless houses that way, through any number of security checkpoints.

The largest number of houses I've managed to squeeze into one of those 1-liter bags is four.

Johan
The one time I tried to do this it failed - in Amsterdam (!).
Because I had enough time, with help of KLM I managed to put them in a box, and send it as extra baggage with me to my destination.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Brobbel
The one time I tried to do this it failed - in Amsterdam (!).
Because I had enough time, with help of KLM I managed to put them in a box, and send it as extra baggage with me to my destination.
While the volume of the liquid might only be 35ml, the volume of the house is bigger, and is likely more than 100ml.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:56 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That is the case for any item that contains 100ml though. The contents are supposed to be less than 100ml, otherwise a 100ml tube of toothpaste would not be allowed either (as strictly speaking, its volume is just over 100ml).
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That is the case for any item that contains 100ml though. The contents are supposed to be less than 100ml, otherwise a 100ml tube of toothpaste would not be allowed either (as strictly speaking, its volume is just over 100ml).
The US definitely goes by container size. A 1L bottle filled one tenth contains 100mL of liquid but will be denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.