Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 am

Note that they are filled with jenever, not gin :P
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Note that they are filled with jenever, not gin :P
True; however, in the English language, there is no real distinction, and "jenever" is just called (Dutch) "gin".

(Think of it as an analogue to the Dutch habit of using "Engeland" even where "Groot-Brittannië" or "Verenigd Koninkrijk" would be the most appropriate word)
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
True; however, in the English language, there is no real distinction, and "jenever" is just called (Dutch) "gin".
That may well be true but they are very distinctly different drinks. The Netherlands has a long tradition in Jenever but almost none in gin.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The English copied genever, changed it, and made it into their gin; hence the fact that they are seen as being far more similar to each other on the other side of the channel than is the case over here.

From the OED:

Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
Originally used to designate the spirit as manufactured in the Low Countries, with the shortened form gin (see gin n.3 1) used to distinguish a British imitation of this, usually flavoured with a variety of spices and aromatics in addition to or in place of juniper; the two words are, however, often used indiscriminately
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Ah, you would quote an ENGLISH dictionary in the matter. Dutch people would tell you gin is, in fact, a poor reproduction of jenever. Only one truly made it in the world, though...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Scots and Irish might say the same about each others' whiskey/whisky ^

(But you will notice that the OED says that gin is a "British imitation" of genever. I don't see this as any indication that gin is somehow superior...you surely don't think that "imitations" are better than the originals??)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Just to follow up - I got 2 houses on the flight from ICN-AMS (great crew in J!), and got to MAD fine with it as a carry-on. But got sick along the way, so wasn't able to enjoy the liquid contents while in Madrid.

I was really nervous about it, but I wrapped both of them up carefully and put them in my checked bag and flew MAD-TXL-FRA on AB, but the good news is that they didn't break! Just one more flight to the US and I'll drink them and then carry the empty houses back to Japan.

A side note - the houses are a lot smaller in real life than I had expected from pictures and stuff online.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Exclamation

Originally Posted by weetanuki

A side note - the houses are a lot smaller in real life than I had expected from pictures and stuff online.
The real houses in the Netherlands or the Delft houses on the airplanes?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:20 am

Hoping to take KLM gin house on a connecting flight from an inbound Dubai flight.

Hi.

Can anyone tell me the best way to take the KLM "gin house" from a KLM flight that lands in Amsterdam from Dubai through security for an onward KLM flight to Scotland.

What is the latest information?

Will KLM staff onboard the longhaul flight ( business class) be able tp put it in an tamper proof bag to get it through security for my connecting flight to Scotland.

I have only a few hours between flights. I'm not leaving Amsterdam airport.

I had planned on buying dutyfree in Dubai but reading old posts I think I will not anymore.

Also is there another set of security at the gate for the Scottish flight, I did wonder about buying dutyfree prior to boarding business class for my Scottish flight.

Sorry for all the questions, I've not used Schiphol Airport before.

Thanks .
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Yes, they will put it in a bag for you.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
You will stay in the non-Schengen part of the airport and do not have to go through security.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Is DXB considered a safe origin though?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

There are no additional security after duty free, at least in Edinburgh... They'll usually put any liquids purchased in a departures duty free shop in a sealed bag so you can bring it past security (don't open it until your final destination). Selling liquids at departure duty free and having them confiscated at security goes against the whole logic of selling it in the first place.

Also, arrivals from Scotland are considered clean and no re-clearance of security is needed in AMS.

And as Mfkne says, they'll put it in a sealed bag (if they don't, then do request for one) And all of the houses (of varying size) I have collected recently don't seem to contain >35 ml of Jenever anyways (as stated on the bottom of the house) so shouldn't be a problem anyhow.

Talking about the KLM houses... I'm a OW loyalist and sometimes will go out of my way to fly OW... but just thinking of the KL houses make me want to cheat on OW already

Last edited by clubeurope; Jul 4, 2018 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I had it out in the open in my carryon (not in a secure KLM bag), and went through multiple other airports, no issues whatsoever.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubeurope
There are no additional security after duty free, at least in Edinburgh... They'll usually put any liquids purchased in a departures duty free shop in a sealed bag so you can bring it past security (don't open it until your final destination). Selling liquids at departure duty free and having them confiscated at security goes against the whole logic of selling it in the first place.

Also, arrivals from Scotland are considered clean and no re-clearance of security is needed in AMS.
I think you got it the wrong way around. The problem is not getting a huisje safely from EDI-AMS to AMS-DXB bur rather from DXB-AMS to AMS-EDI. As mfkne rightly points out, you could only avoid security at AMS if DXB was considered a safe origin, which I do not think it is. So, the OP will need to get the KL staff on board to put the huisje in a small duty-free-type bag, which is a routine operation that staff on board and security staff at AMS are very familiar with and will enable the OP to carry the huisje safely onwards to EDI without it being seized at AMS security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.