Possible weather delays at AMS this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Possible weather delays at AMS this weekend

Originally Posted by KLM
Wij sturen u dit bericht om u te informeren over de verstoorde KLM vlucht operatie op zaterdag 10 januari 2015. Het ligt in de verwachting dat het voorspelde winter weer invloed zal hebben op de baancapaciteit van Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
KLM streeft te allen tijde naar de hoogst mogelijke punctualiteit, echter zullen de voorspelde weersomstandigheden en verminderde baancapaciteit van invloed zijn op de KLM vlucht operatie van/naar en via Amsterdam.
De actuele weersomstandigheden zijn helaas altijd lastig te voorspellen. Morgen, 09 januari hopen wij beter inzicht te hebben t.a.v. de consequenties op onze operatie. Op dit moment zijn er nog GEEN vluchten geannuleerd. Definitieve maatregelen zullen morgen 09 januari genomen worden aan de hand van de laatste weersvoorspellingen. Als er gevolgen zijn voor uw vluchtschema op 10 januari, dan verzekeren wij u dat wij ons uiterste best zullen doen om u zo snel mogelijk naar uw (eind) bestemming te vervoeren. Om op de hoogte te blijven van uw vlucht, adviseren wij u om op onze website KLM.COM de flight disruptions pagina te raadplegen. Ook kunt u de mobiele KLM app raadplegen.
Voor de hinder die u mogelijk zult ondervinden, bieden wij u onze welgemeende verontschuldigingen aan. Indien door u gewenst biedt KLM u de mogelijkheid om, van af nu, kostenloos uw vlucht tot 16 januari naar een later tijdstip om te boeken. Afhankelijk van de beschikbaarheid kunt u dit doen via www.klm.com -> My Trip wanneer u:
• beschikt over een KLM of AirFrance ticket
• uw heen of terugreis nog niet is begonnen
• niet met een baby reist
• geen speciale reservering heeft (zoals: speciale maaltijd, kind zonder begeleiding, huisdier, rolstoel)

Tevens kunnen wij u assisteren via Social Media.
Benader ons via Facebook (www.facebook.com/KLM) of Twitter (www.twitter.com/KLM). KLM reageert persoonlijk op elke tweet, dag
en nacht en wij zullen binnen het uur reageren op uw bericht. U kunt uw vragen stellen in het Nederlands, Engels, Spaans, Portugees, Italiaans, Japans, Russisch, Frans, Noors, Duits, Turks, Thais, Koreaans en Chinees.

Wij stellen uw mening op prijs.
Indien u ons van uw persoonlijke ervaringen op de hoogte wilt stellen, dan kunt u contact opnemen met onze afdeling Customer Care via www.klm.com (via ‘Klantenservice’, ‘neem contact op’ en vervolgens ‘Customer Care’).

Met vriendelijke groet,

KLM Customer Care
KLM warns of possible runway restrictions in Amsterdam this coming weekend (specifically Saturday) due to forecast bad weather. No flights have yet been cancelled, but by tomorrow they will take decisions on what measures to take for Saturday, and any cancellations will be published tomorrow.

They are already allowing passengers booked through to 16 January to make changes to their itineraries - so the forecast must be quite bad!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Good thing I'm travelling on the 9th and the 11th.

Edit: I wonder which wintry conditions they're referring to though. KNMI only warns of wind this far.

Last edited by mfkne; Jan 8, 2015 at 8:28 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Then it's wind!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:31 am

It must be. With forecast temperatures in the teens I find it hard to believe conditions will be wintry They must have used an old template. I'm also surprised it's not on their website yet, but they may only put it up tomorrow.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And despite what their message stated, I get the following on the website:

Originally Posted by KLM.com

Het is helaas niet mogelijk vluchten te wijzigen, omdat u een niet-wijzigbaar tickettype heeft geboekt.

(Service ID-nummer: MS002)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLM
Amsterdam - Expected bad weather conditions

Because of the possible bad weather conditions in Amsterdam, flight schedules may be disrupted. If your flight to, from or via Amsterdam is disrupted on Saturday 10 January 2015, please see below rebook and refund options we can offer you. These options are only valid, if you have a ticket originally issued on or before Thursday 8 January 2015.

You can check your flight status or view your flight details in My Trip. We are doing our very best to help you on your way again.

Rebook your flight

Is the departure date of your flight to, from or via any of the above mentioned destination on Saturday 10 January 2015? Then your new departure date should be no later than Friday 16 January 2015. You can rebook your flight at the latest on Friday 16 January 2015. Please see below options and rules:

1. Change your travel dates

You may change your travel dates of KLM, AIR FRANCE and/or Delta Air Lines flights once.
You can change your travel dates only if the same travel class is available as mentioned in your original ticket. Upgrading your ticket to Business Class is only possible by contacting us directly via Twitter or Facebook or by telephone.
You will not have to pay the change fee.

2. Change your destination

You may use the full value of your original tickets for new tickets on KLM, AIR FRANCE and/or Delta Air Lines.
You will not have to pay the change fee.

How to rebook

You can rebook in the following ways:

you have a KLM or AIR FRANCE ticket
your journey has not started yet
you are not travelling with a baby
you did not request a special service (e.g. ordered a special meal, are travelling as an unaccompanied minor, have requested transportation of a wheelchair or pet, or the use of a bassinet)
We can rebook your journey via Twitter and Facebook!
Go to www.Facebook.com/KLM
Go to twitter.com/KLM
You can also contact us by telephone.
Did you book your ticket via a travel agent? Please contact that travel agent to rebook.

Apply for a refund

You are entitled to a full refund of your ticket if you are travelling to, from or via any of the above mentioned location on Saturday 10 January 2015 , and your flight was cancelled by KLM, AIR FRANCE and/or Delta Air Lines, or was delayed for more than 3 hours and you did not travel.

How to request a refund

If you bought your ticket via KLM.com, a KLM ticket office or KLM Telephone Reservations, and your ticket number starts with 074, you can apply for a refund online in just a few steps. You can also call us, but lines may be quite busy.
If you booked via a travel agent, please contact them directly.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Then it's wind!
It is:

"Dear saraoutou,

We are sending you this message in order to inform you about the possible disrupted KLM operation on Saturday 10 January, 2015. Forecasted gusty wind is expected to have impact on the runway capacity for Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
KLM aims for the highest possible punctuality but unfortunately the weather conditions and reduced runway capacity will impact the KLM flight operations to/from and via Amsterdam...."
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Do you have flights planned for Saturday? Just wondering why I'm not receiving this.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They currently only expect problems on Saturday so they are only contacting passengers intending to travel to, from or via AMS on Saturday.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:19 am

The BBC is forecasting 33 mph on Saturday and 37 mph on Sunday. None of this would be a problem if Schiphol's runways were aligned with the prevailing wind (like most other airports) rather than at right angles to it.

Whose decision was it to build not just one, but three north-south runways???
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Whose decision was it to build not just one, but three north-south runways???
The third and last, the infamous Polderbaan was all about noise abatement, although there are those who claim it was also a sneaky way for Schiphol to lay their hands on a lot of prime real estate (which is apparently a major source of income for them). The results was more, not fewer complaints about noise.

Plans for the 60s, which envisioned a large number or runways radiating in all directions from the terminal complex would have been able to cope with winds from all quarters.

LHR, although prone to delays and wih no spare capacity, somehow manages with two runways. When Schiphol is restricted to the same number of runways for whatever reason they can no longer cope.

Johan
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
I am traveling on Sunday, any news?

SB
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Anyone who bikes in the Netherlands on a regular basis knows there is no such thing as prevailing winds. Biking 13km against these winds ended up being a poor choice today.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by johan rebel
LHR, although prone to delays and wih no spare capacity, somehow manages with two runways. When Schiphol is restricted to the same number of runways for whatever reason they can no longer cope.
I would hardly call what LHR does managing. It is bursting at the seems; there is literally zero spare capacity. One snowflake, a hint of fog or minor disruption and the entire schedule goes to hell in a handbasket with ripple effects throughout the network. Give me Schiphol's arrangement any day, Polderbaan and all; I'd rather taxi an extra 10 minutes than be stranded for 10 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by strikerbird
I am traveling on Sunday, any news?

SB
Today's schedule is operating more or less fully (on the departures board in the lounge, showing flights up to 20:30 this evening, only 2 flights are currently showing as cancelled - a flight to Bergen that was scheduled to depart an hour ago, and one of this evening's Heathrow flights). There is a lot of red on the board - most flights are delayed, but operating.

Tomorrow should be a similar story, I guess. Keep an eye on the Flight Disruptions page

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.