FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Is it necessary to use the Middle name in the Booking? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1628787-necessary-use-middle-name-booking.html)

Osk Nov 14, 2014 11:19 pm

Is it necessary to use the Middle name in the Booking?

I have just made a booking with KLM but i just put the First and Last Name and i wonder if it was neccesarry to use the Middle Name.

orbitmic Nov 15, 2014 12:23 am

No, absolutely unnecessary, so you are fine!

Osk Nov 15, 2014 3:38 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 23844830)
No, absolutely unnecessary, so you are fine!

Thank you for your reply orbitmic because i was worried about this situation if i would have any issues in the departure.

dcpremex Jan 21, 2015 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Osk (Post 23844701)
I have just made a booking with KLM but i just put the First and Last Name and i wonder if it was necessary to use the Middle Name.

In the US it must match your passport exactly. So if you have a middle name on your passport your ticket must also.

orbitmic Jan 21, 2015 9:24 am

Originally Posted by dcpremex (Post 24207370)
In the US it must match your passport exactly. So if you have a middle name on your passport your ticket must also.

Call me lucky but I've flown literally hundreds of flights to, from and within the US without ever using the middle name which is in my passport and have never had a problem nor even a question asked

irishguy28 Jan 21, 2015 9:35 am

Are you enrolled in any of those Trusted Traveller/Global Entry programs, by any chance?

I would have thought that any discrepancy between passport name // name on ESTA/visa // name on ticket could cause trouble for most passengers on flights to the US.

GenevaFlyer Jan 21, 2015 9:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 24207695)
Are you enrolled in any of those Trusted Traveller/Global Entry programs, by any chance?

I would have thought that any discrepancy between passport name // name on ESTA/visa // name on ticket could cause trouble for most passengers on flights to the US.

Not in my experience. I hardly ever have my middle name in my booking, and have not encountered any issues. And yes, I do Global Entry.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

orbitmic Jan 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 24207695)

Nope, I just go the normal long immigration queue sadly. I seem to remember that I even explicitly read in one of the explanatory documents from the US immigration authorities that middle name/middle initial/second last name (for people of Spanish origin) is not necessary but I just can't remember where that was exactly.

Calchas Jan 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dcpremex (Post 24207370)

My middle name doesn't go in my bookings either. It's on my passport and I think the middle initial is in my ESTA.

No problems anywhere.

Unless the names are obviously two different people, no one is interested.

dcpremex Jan 22, 2015 6:38 am

From the TSA web site (underlining is mine): "please verify that the airline has your first/middle/last name and correct date of birth — it should match exactly how you applied for the trusted traveler program. For example, if you applied for a trusted traveler program as John David Doe, with David being your middle name, your airline frequent flyer profile and reservation should not be JD Doe; it needs to be consistent – first/middle/last" http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/freq...sked-questions

orbitmic Jan 22, 2015 7:20 am

Originally Posted by dcpremex (Post 24213154)
From the TSA web site (underlining is mine): "please verify that the airline has your first/middle/last name and correct date of birth — it should match exactly how you applied for the trusted traveler program. For example, if you applied for a trusted traveler program as John David Doe, with David being your middle name, your airline frequent flyer profile and reservation should not be JD Doe; it needs to be consistent – first/middle/last" http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/freq...sked-questions

But the excerpt that you cite is about the trusted traveller programme, not about flying to/from or within the US! This is basically about the condition for your reservation being recognised as "belonging" to the registered person.

orbitmic Jan 22, 2015 7:26 am

Originally Posted by dcpremex (Post 24213154)

The excerpt below is from AA guidelines to travel agents on APIS. The bolding and underlying is theirs and not mine:

NOTE: The middle name or middle initial is not required in the name field of the reservation for ticketing or upgrading purposes. GDS functionalities differ and may not support the middle name or middle initial. Check with your GDS Help Desk for clarification on Name Field requirements.

Q: When I make a reservation do I include the middle name/middle initial for the passenger’s itinerary and ticket?
A: Name field in the PNR - only requires the FULL NAME – meaning the Full “Last name and the Full First name”. The middle name or initial is not required in the Name Field of the PNR. The name that has to match exactly to the Gov’t ID they are presenting is the Last name and the First Name only.
First and Last name only as it appears on the government issued ID that the passenger will use while traveling. Do not add a prefix, middle name or suffix.
Do not change the PNR name field to add a middle name. The PNR name should contain the last name and first name as it appears on the customer's government issued ID. In many cases the PNR name and SFPD field will be different since many passengers have a middle name.
The personal data that is in your reservation meets the TSA requirements for your travel dates. There is no need to make any changes to your name as it appears on your reservation. Your middle name will be collected, along with your gender and date of birth, to add your Secure Flight Passenger Data at time of purchase

The name field requirements are separate from the SFPD or APIS requirement. The middle name/middle initial is required for SFPD or APIS to match the valid Gov’t ID the passenger is presenting to the TSA at security check point.
Please do not use a suffix in the name field of the PNR or for the SFPD/APIS information.

Calchas Jan 22, 2015 8:47 am

It's also worth mentioning that small changes to the first name are not important either—at least in my experience. So John/Jon/Jonathan isn't going to cause problems.

dcpremex Jan 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 24213336)
The excerpt below is from AA guidelines to travel agents on APIS. The bolding and underlying is theirs and not mine:

NOTE: The middle name or middle initial is not required in the name field of the reservation for ticketing or upgrading purposes. GDS functionalities differ and may not support the middle name or middle initial. Check with your GDS Help Desk for clarification on Name Field requirements.

Q: When I make a reservation do I include the middle name/middle initial for the passenger’s itinerary and ticket?
A: Name field in the PNR - only requires the FULL NAME – meaning the Full “Last name and the Full First name”. The middle name or initial is not required in the Name Field of the PNR. The name that has to match exactly to the Gov’t ID they are presenting is the Last name and the First Name only.
First and Last name only as it appears on the government issued ID that the passenger will use while traveling. Do not add a prefix, middle name or suffix.
Do not change the PNR name field to add a middle name. The PNR name should contain the last name and first name as it appears on the customer's government issued ID. In many cases the PNR name and SFPD field will be different since many passengers have a middle name.
The personal data that is in your reservation meets the TSA requirements for your travel dates. There is no need to make any changes to your name as it appears on your reservation. Your middle name will be collected, along with your gender and date of birth, to add your Secure Flight Passenger Data at time of purchase

The name field requirements are separate from the SFPD or APIS requirement. The middle name/middle initial is required for SFPD or APIS to match the valid Gov’t ID the passenger is presenting to the TSA at security check point.
Please do not use a suffix in the name field of the PNR or for the SFPD/APIS information.

Interesting sin I just made reservations using AMEX and they asked me for the information exactly as it appears on my ID - including middle. PNR name is different but as it says middle name is required to SFPD or APIS to match so you will have to provide it if you already didnt.

irishguy28 Jan 23, 2015 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 24213799)
It's also worth mentioning that small changes to the first name are not important either—at least in my experience. So John/Jon/Jonathan isn't going to cause problems.

How about Frances/Francis? :D