Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Finding KL business class awards -- make any difference if it's DL miles or FB miles?

Finding KL business class awards -- make any difference if it's DL miles or FB miles?

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

If I'm searching for a KL award in business, SFO-AMS, does it make any difference if I'm trying to use DL miles or FB miles? If so, I could shift some Amex MR points into FB miles. In my experience, there's just about never any availability for this as a partner award on DL.

Sorry if this has been answered before. I searched a bit and couldn't find anything.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Of course it makes a difference. DL and KL use two different schemes with two different currencies and two different pricing schemes.

Flying Blue recently moved to a changed long-haul redemption scheme, where they increased the number of seats available, but the "extra" seats costs more (there is variable pricing - not all seats cost the same number of miles). In DL, you'll likely find that only the "cheapest" seats are offered - so seats that may be available via FB (at the higher rates) will never be available via DL.

You can search for Flying Blue availability without having any Flying Blue miles. Be warned, though, that once you transfer MR points into Flying Blue miles, it cannot be undone. If the seat you want is gone by the time the transfer goes through, you're just going to have to find something else to do with those Flying Blue miles.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much, irishguy28. I'll open an FB account and start searching.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
In DL, you'll likely find that only the "cheapest" seats are offered - so seats that may be available via FB (at the higher rates) will never be available via DL.
I should add that not all seats that are available at the lowest FB redemption level are available to DL. I don't know if it's DL or FB who limits that inventory, but I do know that there is a limit on that inventory and only a subset are actually available to SM members.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Wow -- I'm seeing all sorts of availability in business on the route (SFO-AMS). I thought maybe the DL partner award and FB inventories were the same. I now see how very different they are.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Yes, DL really likes to add the BOHICA to SkyMiles, especially the mileage redemptions (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
Yes, DL really likes to add the BOHICA to SkyMiles, especially the mileage redemptions (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!)
DL richly deserves the moniker Skypesos.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by dhuey
DL richly deserves the moniker Skypesos.
Actually, the preferred term these days is Skydongs. (vietnamese currency, even more worthless)
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help, folks. Using FB miles I was able to book a business class award on Air France in July (125,000 miles RT). I'm pretty sure that never would have happened with Delta miles. I might be trying this again with KLM for a different itinerary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.