How to complain to KLM?

Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
How to complain to KLM?

A simple question - is there an e-mail address one can use to e-mail KLM customer care with a complaint? Their web forms are broken, after clicking the "submit" button, one gets an error message and request to try again.

The Facebook team took 8 hours to post me a link to the above-mentioned form, although I have clearly said the form is broken in my initial post.

And the customer care call center - I've been on the line for 12 minutes, having been periodically reminded that I am the next on the line, but nobody picked up....

Frustrating!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The form works fine for me

Have you tried submitting the form using a different computer or browser?

They don't seem to have an email address for customer contacts anymore - presumably because the form is better at ensuring all the relevant details are included.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Have you tried submitting the form using a different computer or browser?
I tried four computers with 4 different browsers on 3 different networks (incl one in Crown Lounge) - all lead to the same error message. Maybe it's just something with the particular combination of subjects I pick?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I have had issues in the past too, but I believe it had to do with not all fields being filled out, or, one field containing an incorrect format (eg flightnumber 'KL1234' instead of '1234', and so on). I would double check/play around with the format of the various fields
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:58 am

I had the exact same issue as the OP... and I think I may have some idea of what the problem may be. I think (in fact I'm almost sure now) the the issue is with pasted text.

I wrote a long message to KLM while on a flight. When I was on the ground I tried to submit the message by pasting it into the webform... and got the error message that the OP got, telling me to try again later. I tried several times, no luck. (And every time I tried I had to complete all the details again as everything had been wiped)

I then submitted a test message via the form - i.e., by typing something straight into the form... and it got through without any problems. Tried my saved message again - got an error message again.

The problem won't have been due to not all fields being completed... I actually omitted to complete one of the fields when I was submitting the test message, and I got an error message telling me which field I hadn't completed, and an opportunity to just complete the missing field without having to redo the whole form.

ok986, can you please confirm whether or not you did the same thing I did, i.e., copy the message into the form rather than typing it in?

Last edited by Aviatrix; Sep 21, 2014 at 11:37 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:49 am

Looks like I was wrong about the problem being pasted text... I just tried to submit a webform from scratch, and got this error message:

We could not process your request. Please try again later.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:00 am

Finally got to the bottom of it!

After sending several more test messages - and probably annoying the hell out of the customer service team - I have finally got to the bottom of the problem:

The KLM webform cannot cope with quotes.

If you put quotes in your text the whole thing falls over.

Was someone trying to tell me recently that klm.com is NOT buggy??!!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, I had plenty of quotes in my complaint, because I complained about verbal abuse by KLM staff (with a hindsight, it'll be a fantastic story to tell at dinner parties - when I voiced dissatisfaction with rerouting after being offloaded from a flight, I was told I was "helemaal apart" and "echt vervallend")

But the bottom line is - yes, many quotes!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:18 am

Any chance of sharing the story with us??!!

As for submitting the form - apostrophes/single quotes DO work, so if you do a bulk find-and-replace and replace all instances of this

"

by this

'

then it should hopefully go through.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thou shalt not quote KLM employees! What thinkest thou why they have no name tags?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Thou shalt not quote KLM employees! What thinkest thou why they have no name tags?
The actually used to until not that many years ago. I believe it was the unions who convinced KL that such tags were a very bad idea.

Wonder why?

Johan
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
That explains why the answer to "May I ask what is your name?" was "That information is not relevant for the situation at hand"
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The actually used to until not that many years ago. I believe it was the unions who convinced KL that such tags were a very bad idea.

Wonder why?

Johan
Either because many Dutch names are difficult to pronounce for, or because they can come across as somewhat strange to non-native speakers?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:46 pm

Because of privacy concerns?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Accountability concerns, more likely!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.