Wiki Posts
Search

"KLM invites you for FB"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
"KLM invites you for FB"

e-mail from KLM to the address that is registered with them as part of my FB PE account:

Beste meneer fb175091,

Graag nodigen wij u uit om deel te nemen aan ons frequent traveller programma Flying Blue. Met dit exclusieve programma kunt u meer voordeel uit uw vliegreizen halen. Deelname aan Flying Blue kost u helemaal niets!
I am speechless.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
KLM nodigt u uit voor Flying Blue

Yes, I've just received the email.

3 times.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
got it aswell, my account hasn't been used in a while so maybe they're checking if i'm not dead
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Then why don't you guys join FB? There's SO many benefits, some us want to become members twice, nay, thrice!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: FB Silver
A good example of pressing the wrong buttons....
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now I'm getting it in English...

Last edited by irishguy28; Jun 27, 2014 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:02 am

Yep, me too. "KLM invites you to join Flying Blue". Received just a couple of hours after my latest miles statement, to the same email address.

Sigh!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's sort of random to see the TATL JV partners mentioned along the bottom under the legend "these flights are operated by..". It has no bearing to the email, which doesn't talk about flights (except in a general way - for which you'd perhaps to see the FB airlines (AF, KL, KQ, RO, SB and UX) mentioned instead), let alone transatlantic flights.

Scrap that, KQ isn't a TATL JV partner. So I've no idea what the group of AF+KL+DL+KQ+AZ is intended to represent here...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
I can't even imagine what thought process resulted in this situation: I have never communicated this e-mail address to KLM except in situations where I have been logged in to my FB account, so it's not that they could have obtained the address by using some other database. The only database that should contain the e-mail address is their database of FB members. So, they deliberately used that database as part of an advertising campaign to become FB members?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Also got these in both Dutch and English. Despite the clear devaluation for Ivory members, they still try to gain new members by saying 'you're clearly a step ahead as member'. Barf.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by fb175091
I can't even imagine what thought process resulted in this situation: ....... So, they deliberately used that database as part of an advertising campaign to become FB members?
Looks clear to me, it is just an error in that they included current members in their mass email, not something deliberate. And easily to be solved, doing what you normally do when receiving an email that is wrongly addressed or spam - just delete :-)
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by fb175091
I can't even imagine what thought process resulted in this situation: I have never communicated this e-mail address to KLM except in situations where I have been logged in to my FB account, so it's not that they could have obtained the address by using some other database. The only database that should contain the e-mail address is their database of FB members. So, they deliberately used that database as part of an advertising campaign to become FB members?
Welcome to the world of big data. They probably got (or purchased) email addresses from a hotel or car rental program or such. Or perhaps from a site such as Tripit or Tripadvisor. Or maybe even ebay or amazon or whoever else figured out that you must be a frequent traveler and were very happy to sell that info to Flying Blue. Big data is the new marketing gold! It is of course outright stupid to send out such mails without comparing them properly with your own client database!

I also got the email, btw.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they didn't buy these email addresses at all. Or not all of them, at least.

They have two email addresses of mine that I use only in relation to interaction with KLM and they knew which one to mail me in Dutch and which one to mail me in English with.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No, they didn't buy these email addresses at all. Or not all of them, at least.

They have two email addresses of mine that I use only in relation to interaction with KLM and they knew which one to mail me in Dutch and which one to mail me in English with.
The whole thing is becoming mind boggling!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:36 am

Like Irishguy28 I have a dedicated email address for KLM and KLM only, and that's the address that received the email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.