Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Gold, Sixt Gold
Went through terminal 2 security a couple of days ago for the AMS-LBA flight. Have they upgraded their bag scanners? We were told nothing had to be removed from bags before going through the tunnel so laptops/ tablets/ liquids all stay in?

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread)

Last edited by Reload; Feb 5, 2019 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The new scanners were introduced almost a year ago, one of the first was in Departures 2.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carel1
The new scanners were introduced almost a year ago, one of the first was in Departures 2.
Beats me why the priority lanes weren't the first to get the new scanners.

Johan
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The first new scanner was in the priority lane on the right hand side.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Only for non-schengen though. And if its not busy, that lane is closed.

Half the times I went through that lane my bag had to be manually searched anyway. Not because something was wrong, but because I was 'randomly selected'. Seems they don't trust their tech much yet..
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I believe that depends on whether the checkpoint in question has a new or old scanner.

Went through regular security at CPH this morning. Despite having at least 100 pax ahead of me in line, the whole process didn't take much longer than priority security in AMS usually does.

Johan
Indeed. I went through CPH fast lane this afternoon and what was it - 20 seconds after I put my stuff on the trays things were out? In Schiphol I worry all the time, put my chargers, umbrella, and so on apart from the rest of luggage so even with a day pack you end up with 3-4 trays (of which at least 1 always goes to secondary for whatever reason). In CPH none of this, it goes through the machine quickly, no hesitations of the person looking at the screen, and things are out just like this. 'Thank you and have a good flight' you hear. Still when I tell the Schiphol security staff it only happens at Schiphol they frown, and say something that their security checks apparently are better than elsewhere. Idem with the manual search that I mainly suffer at Schiphol. Why is no one at Schiphol checking how they do it abroad? Can save them a fortune....
Carel1 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:22 am

A couple of days back Ms. Ditto's bag went to secondary because of a laser pointer (the ones you use while presenting, not the ones you use to blind pilots ), it took 4 different agents to check it out and confirm it's ok.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Friday morning, departures 1, line 1 closed (one with the new scanner), line 2 for priority, lines 3 and 4 mixed. Probably my longest priority wait yet. Really no fun.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by atflyer
Indeed. I went through CPH fast lane this afternoon and what was it - 20 seconds after I put my stuff on the trays things were out? In Schiphol I worry all the time, put my chargers, umbrella, and so on apart from the rest of luggage so even with a day pack you end up with 3-4 trays (of which at least 1 always goes to secondary for whatever reason). In CPH none of this, it goes through the machine quickly, no hesitations of the person looking at the screen, and things are out just like this. 'Thank you and have a good flight' you hear. Still when I tell the Schiphol security staff it only happens at Schiphol they frown, and say something that their security checks apparently are better than elsewhere. Idem with the manual search that I mainly suffer at Schiphol. Why is no one at Schiphol checking how they do it abroad? Can save them a fortune....
Schiphol is much better than elsewhere. Where else do three different contracting companies handle security? That kind of absolutely bizarre level of mismanagement of security processes is unparalleled in aviation worldwide. It ensures a consistently frustrating and Kafkaesque experience every time.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by caliform
Schiphol is much better than elsewhere. Where else do three different contracting companies handle security? That kind of absolutely bizarre level of mismanagement of security processes is unparalleled in aviation worldwide. It ensures a consistently frustrating and Kafkaesque experience every time.
Not my experience at all. I am usually through in less than 5 minutes (even when traveling economy) with zero problems at the security checkpoint.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
You're quite lucky, as a photographer it's literally the only airport on Earth where I am stopped almost every single time because they haven't yet figured out what a camera lens is.

Or a cable. I'd imagine they see a lot of cables in carry-on bags, but it gets me to secondary every time.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
. I am usually through in less than 5 minutes (even when traveling economy) with zero problems at the security checkpoint.
Wow!

Do you travel in your underwear, without any carry-ons?

Johan
caliform and Reload like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Wow!

Do you travel in your underwear, without any carry-ons?

Johan

Forget that, just WHEN does he travel, that the non-prio lines are <5 mins wait?
caliform likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Forget that, just WHEN does he travel, that the non-prio lines are <5 mins wait?
Friday 1.5 weeks ago, around 13:00, departures 1 (1A was a zoo...)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
I travel mornings, afternoons, evenings, to Schengen and non-Schengen, fully dressed and with carry-ons. The last couple of years I normally breeze through in 5 minutes or less - one time there was a ~15 minute wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.