First new security filter operational at AMS

Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Security and parking is the only problem with Schiphol. But security is worse.
Well, the food and beverage options are ridiculously expensive, lounges are terrible, and walking from any point A to point B is a trek.

Other than that, five stars
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Security and parking is the only problem with Schiphol.
Schiphol has deteriorated across the board in recent years. Airport management has focused entirely on increasing the number of flights to the 500,000 limit as fast as possible, even though the airport manifestly cannot cope. It is not only security and parking, but just about everything else.

- pax drop-off and pick-up is a shambles.

- the railroad station lacks capacity, trains can't be relied on to run on schedule, or at all.

- the terminals are jam-packed, there are not enough gates, not enough remote stands, not enough immigrations officers and at times not even enough runways, despite having six.

Etc. Etc.

It's a mess. The Privium lounge is the sole redeeming feature.

Johan
nldogbert likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I don't know I agree with that.

Lounge wise, a fair enough point, though none of the lounges are Schiphol operated (well, except Privium, which has good catering, and I just wish it was airside)
Walking time is just a question of airport size. I think Schiphol is quite good in comparison with simlarly sized airports like CDG or FRA.
Drop-off and pick-up I never had issues. Though I only very rarely travel by car (taxi) to and from the airport.
Train station IMO is quite adequate, could be better, but then it wouldn't fit in the actual terminal building, which would mean a longer walk etc. I also find NS quite reliable overall, despite how the Dutch love to hate it.
Plus given the airports location within the rail system, it acts as a bona fide rail transport hub, and as a result, has the most frequent connections I've seen at an airport except those connected by actual metro trains. I mean, there like 10+ trains to Centraal every hour, plus frequent connections to Zuid, Sloterdijk...
Overfull terminals, well yes, they are pretty full, at times, still I've seen worse.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:16 am

I think Schiphol is quite good in comparison with similarly sized airports like CDG or FRA
I also find NS quite reliable overall
+1.

G
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
While walks in Schiphol can be quite long, the main benefit is that it's a single terminal airport, so no need to take a bus or train to get to another terminal.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:37 am

Plus given the airports location within the rail system, it acts as a bona fide rail transport hub, and as a result, has the most frequent connections I've seen at an airport except those connected by actual metro trains. I mean, there like 10+ trains to Centraal every hour, plus frequent connections to Zuid, Sloterdijk...
Not to mention also quite a big bus station, the bigger issue with the trains towards AMS Centraal is that they are jam-packed, with the fact that Schiphol is indeed a train hub adding to the chaos, I would much rather see point to point trains from AMS to Centraal, and preferably have those trains stop in the lower platforms in Centraal
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
I agree with Johan and would add a few more comments concerning my experiences with Schiphol:

- The current toilet situation is insufficient. There are simply not enough toilets, and most of the time the toilets are not what I would call "fresh and clean". In addition, in some terminals like C the toilets are all downstairs except the first one with elevator access. This means when traveling alone and you need to use the toilet you have to drag your bags/luggage downstairs and then upstairs to use the facilities.
- Gate and Boarding Space is very limited in many of the terminals. G and D are OK but C is very crowded, not enough seating and lines running along the people movers.
- On at least 50% of my transatlantic flights the gate is occupied upon arrival. The average wait time is around 15 minutes. Schiphol seems incapable of managing in/outgoing traffic as there are always empty gates around the designated gate.
- On my last Singapore Air flight to AMS, we had a remote position with stairs and busses back to the terminal. I expect and tolerate this for CityHopper flights, but not for wide body/longhaul. The Singapore Airline Crew says this happens frequently. I also witnessed a Jet Airways plane disembarking remotely as well.
- Food Selection is poor. Dutch Bread and Fast Food. They have opened a new Asian restaurant between 2 and 3 that at least looks good. The bars have poor wine selections, weak cocktails and often nothing but Heineken.
- Privium Lounge airside is nice. A bit small and crowded at times, but better than the others.
- Aspire Lounge is always packed and dirty. I do not understand why the Jet Airways flights are aloud access when these flights are partnered with KLM. If they are partner flights, let the passengers use the KLM Crown Lounges.
- Security is hit or miss and depends on time of day and day of the week. Secondary checks at security can take a long time and seem to be the standard rather than the exception.
- Pick-Up and Drop-Off is as Johan stated very congested and disorganised. The recent attempts to divert Terminal 1 pick-ups and Drop-Offs from 2 and 3 has resulted in more congestion.

I would rate Schiphol as one of the worst major airports in the world. I do not see it getting any better in the future.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Loungewise, a fair enough point, though none of the lounges are Schiphol operated(well, except Privium, which has good catering, and I just wish it was airside).
There is a Privium airside lounge on the non-Schengen side, and they plan to open a Schengen one as soon as they can find a suitable location. Can't wait.

Walking time is just a question of airport size.
That's one thing I don't mind. Flying means sitting, so I appreciate an opportunity to stretch my legs before and after a flight. I'm a very fast walker, don't mind the distances.

I thinkSchiphol is quite good in comparison with similarly sized airports like CDG orFRA .
I'm comparing Schiphol to its former self, which is all that matters from my perspective. I couldn't care less if other airports are worse,a s long as I can avoid them. I'm really good at keeping my distance from CDG and FRA.

Drop-off and pick-up I never had issues. Though I onlyv ery rarely travel by car (taxi) to and from the airport.
And I invariably do. I get dropped off and picked up at departures. For an airport of Schiphol's size it is an embarrassment. A single access road that easily gets clogged, and in front of the terminal it is a chaotic mess.

I also find NS quite reliable overall, despite how the Dutch love to hate it.
I will concede that NS is not the reason I fled the Netherlands, rail travel is a lot crappier where I live now. Having said that, I wouldn't take a train from Schiphol even if they were 100% reliable, simply because they can't take me where I want to go.

Overfull terminals, well yes, they are pretty full, at times, still I've seen worse.
Again, what matters to me is the situation at Schiphol, that it is worse elsewhere is irrelevant to me.

Johan
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by johan rebel
There is a Privium airside lounge on the non-Schengen side, and they plan to open a Schengen one as soon as they can find a suitable location. Can't wait.
Trouble with the non-Schengen lounge is that it's on the non-Schengen side, where I rarely go
Also waiting impatiently for the new airside Schengen lounge.

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm comparing Schiphol to its former self, which is all that matters from my perspective. I couldn't care less if other airports are worse,a s long as I can avoid them. I'm really good at keeping my distance from CDG and FRA.
Yet Schiphols former self was a good deal smaller... Personally I think that Schiphol is really doing well for what it is today.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I agree with Johan, in as much as I think that Schiphol has gone from possibly the best European major hub to one of the low-ranked ones in the last few years. What is the cause? I don't know, but I suspect there's a considerable amount of commercial pressure to (as Johan also points out) fulfil the maximum possible flight take-off/landing slots. Damn shame, IMHO, but I'm just a mere mortal.

Comparing to other Euro hubs: anyone here been to/through Heathrow T5 at a busy time of day recently? The overcrowding is far, far worse than Schiphol's worst nightmare! Hard to find a wee spot in which to pick your nose.

But, money talks! Travellers are, after all, merely a source of revenue!!

-- Henry
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet Schiphols former self was a good deal smaller...
Tell me about it . . . I go back all the way to the Good Old Days of Schiphol Oost, Lockheed Constellations, Vickers Viscounts and Lockheed Electras.

Personally I think that Schiphol is really doing well for what it is today.
We will just have to agree to disagree here. I do think that Schiphol should have asked itself in good time whether it wanted to be where it is today.

Johan
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Well, the food and beverage options are ridiculously expensive, lounges are terrible, and walking from any point A to point B is a trek.

Other than that, five stars
Hey, in what other airport can you load up on regular priced food at Hema and Albert Heijn (albeit landside, so can't take drinks through security)?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Hey, in what other airport can you load up on regular priced food at Hema and Albert Heijn (albeit landside, so can't take drinks through security)?
ZRH has a Migros, MUC has an Edeka, BRU has a Delhaize... not that uncommon but I see your point!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
ZRH has a Migros, MUC has an Edeka, BRU has a Delhaize... not that uncommon but I see your point!
And I suppose LHR and CDG have M & S if you are in the right terminal.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JNB has Woolworths.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.