First new security filter operational at AMS

Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I can confirm that the situation in Schiphol is not very good... It was OK at the lowcost filter, but I only passed that once. Otherwise both Schengen and non-Schengen are not very good - even worse than in VIE, which I thought hardly anyone could match... I've passed through at least 5 other airports just this year, some of them multiple times, and never it was this bad...

What seems the weirdest to me, and also fits what Johans experience is, it seems that priority lines are actually worse than regular ones!

The only redeeming feature of Schiphol security seems to be that lines themselves don't tend to be long in my experience. But then I don't usually fly in peak times...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
I had coins to the value 36 Swedish kronor in the one wallet, and 16 Rand in the other. The former were fewer in number, though.

Johan
Now it's clear, the mix of different currencies must have had them confused
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
Now it's clear, the mix of different currencies must have had them confused
Or perhaps they are just a bunch of Randdebielen.

Johan
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
The fact that Schiphol juggles three different security contractors for this is just absurd. The abovementioned complaint to the Royal Marechaussee is great, but since it's 100% outside their purview they won't do anything about it unless it is a substantial security risk.

If they want to have a modern airport, they need to hire and train a security force of their own. They implement their own security screening systems (they take pride in all the digital nonsense they've bought and set up, which constantly breaks), now let them implement ONE task force for security that works alongside the Mareschaussee and police to streamline and optimize security processes and keep them consistent. It's an absolutely pathetic situation that Schiphol is still contracting this stuff out to 3 (or more) companies.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Help us optimise security screening

An e-mail just in from Privium included a link to a questionnaire:

"Together with the University of Amsterdam, Schiphol is working on new techniques to optimise security screening. Your experiences as a regular guest are very valuable in this respect! Do you have 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions? Your privacy is of course guaranteed."

A very peculiar survey!

"We now ask you four brief questions about the purpose of your next flight. There will be no follow-up or clarification questions. Your task is to provide answers that are detailed and convincing of your travel purpose. Imagine someone would need to make a decision based on your answers and decide whether you receive fast-lane security or not."

"Please describe the purpose of your flight to xxx in as much detail as possible.* Be as convincing as possible."

"What proof can you provide that you are flying to xxx for Holiday (and not just any other purpose)?* Be as convincing as possible. "

"What did the planning for the purpose of your trip (Holiday) look like in reverse order? (begin with what you did last and move back in time)?* Be as convincing as possible."

"What did you not tell anybody else about your Holiday trip?* Be as convincing as possible."

Anybody who thinks I will sumbit to a cross-examination to be allowed to use Fast Track needs to have his head examined.

Needless to say, the only answer they got out of me was Alt+F4.

Johan
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:02 pm

Went through the 1a checkpoint yesterday. As *G we went through the priority line, which just ended in front of the scanners without anyone policing it, so we had to cut in front of the regular line no doubt infuriating some of the other travellers. The checkpoint then is quite ridiculous, the three "preparation points" have no structure and not enough room for those enormous trays, and since you are not allowed to pile things up you have to use more than one, or just send them down the line, where you'll be barked at because you didn't follow the tray closely enough.

Every single person triggered a manual patdown, and a solid half of the trays went to secondary.

The usual AMS experience, I'm just grateful we didn't have to queue.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:09 pm

For me this morning another nearly seamless security, I was surprised by it quite a bit.
OK, six ten on a Saturday morning maybe not the peakest of peaks, but it wasn't exactly quiet, lower proportion of card holders / premium class though.

As per what Johan quoted, Jesus.
If that was a verbal interview, I would be inclined to cut it in the middle of questioning. I wonder if there is going to be any response... I don't think I've ever been bored enough to type that up.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Very weird survey indeed. Aren't they confused with TSA pre check?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
An e-mail just in from Privium included a link to a questionnaire:

"Together with the University of Amsterdam, Schiphol is working on new techniques to optimise security screening. Your experiences as a regular guest are very valuable in this respect! Do you have 5 to 10 minutes to answer a few questions? Your privacy is of course guaranteed."

A very peculiar survey!

"We now ask you four brief questions about the purpose of your next flight. There will be no follow-up or clarification questions. Your task is to provide answers that are detailed and convincing of your travel purpose. Imagine someone would need to make a decision based on your answers and decide whether you receive fast-lane security or not."

"Please describe the purpose of your flight to xxx in as much detail as possible.* Be as convincing as possible."

"What proof can you provide that you are flying to xxx for Holiday (and not just any other purpose)?* Be as convincing as possible. "

"What did the planning for the purpose of your trip (Holiday) look like in reverse order? (begin with what you did last and move back in time)?* Be as convincing as possible."

"What did you not tell anybody else about your Holiday trip?* Be as convincing as possible."

Anybody who thinks I will sumbit to a cross-examination to be allowed to use Fast Track needs to have his head examined.

Needless to say, the only answer they got out of me was Alt+F4.

Johan
This line of questioning is frankly insulting

I would have taken the trouble to fill out each box with "None of your business"
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by troje
Very weird survey indeed. Aren't they confused with TSA pre check?
Got the Privium update also.
You don't get those kind of questions when having TSA Precheck. Luckily the whole idea behind TSA Pre is that you are a trusted traveller (databases etcetera) and as such can breeze through security with no need to remove shoes, laptops, 3-1-1 liquids, belts and lighter outerwear AND without explain/prove it everytime to a commercial contract employee who doesn't have access to any of that intel/databases
The idea alone to show the actual proof (time consuming) to convince a random stranger and thereby giving him/her detailed and confidential emails, papers, bookings, attachements etcetera
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
This line of questioning is frankly insulting

I would have taken the trouble to fill out each box with "None of your business"
That's not a bad idea. I might just do that.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:16 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I have a couple of trips with connections in AMS and in one case an originating departure from AMS coming up so want to prepare for what sounds like a security gantlet as best I can.

It sounds like proactively removing electronics, and perhaps other metal items, from one's bag is at least marginally helpful in reducing the likelihood of secondary screening.

Does AMS have any particular fetish for liquids? In the US, even in non-Precheck lanes, the liquids ban is all but gone, as long as you don't try to bring in any large single containers of liquid (i.e. you can bring multiple bags of 100mL containers, or have your 100mL containers all over the place in your luggage and not confined to a single baggie, as long as no single container is too much bigger than 100mL, and needing to put your baggie of liquids in a separate tray is extremely rarely enforced in the US these days). But I do find that at LHR they are still extremely thorough about liquids and my bag frequently gets pulled aside for extra screening if there is even a single extra liquid container anywhere in it. Is that also the case at AMS (which would affect my packing strategy)? Or is AMS's aggressiveness less specific than that?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:47 am

The rules for liquids are still in place. You don't have to take them out, but you might end up in secondary if you don't. Just have the bag visible in the tray and you'll pass trough.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Haha, *might* end up in secondary. That's a good one. A reflection of an errant coin off the glass of a duty free shop 20 meters down from security can send you to secondary
Grouchy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:24 pm

Yeah, but I have as well passed without taking the baggie off before, so...

I guess it depends either on mood/skill of the operator, or otherwise what and where you have packed nearby that could obscure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.