Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 3:07 am

Monday afternoon, Departures 3. No queue at priority lane, massive queue at regular lane. Happy with the priority access. After security check, long line for passport control. Automatic passport gates in full operation. Ended up in the most left line. Turns out, that gate is about twice as slow as the rest. Really annoying! Pointed this out to a Schiphol employee and got a weird stare and 'the machines are all the same' as reply. One minute of observation was too much to ask for.

So, if going via departures 3, make sure not to take the most left e-gate!

(Based on my experience so far for Non-Schengen: morning departures go for Departures 3. Afternoon go for Departures 2. Evening departures: indifferent).
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
Pointed this out to a Schiphol employee and got a weird stare and 'the machines are all the same' as reply. One minute of observation was too much to ask for.
Haha.. what would you have expected from them? These days unless I am really irritated, I don't even bother to point anything out because they just don't care a s%*t....which actually after talking to them it elevates my level of irritation...so better shut up and move on at times...
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yep, the leftmost gate is always trouble.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:49 am

Schiphol launched a pilot with a booked slot to clear security: https://www.schiphol.nl/en/security-fastlane/

I'm sure this will be monetized later.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
Schiphol launched a pilot with a booked slot to clear security: https://www.schiphol.nl/en/security-fastlane/

I'm sure this will be monetized later.
Typical of Schiphol....such a useless (or great) depends on how you see this. This will certainly going to be monetized...they are after all out to make a profit. Wonder why do we still have to pay airport taxes for using the facilities? Even if airport like Heathrow is able to solve these issues to a certain extend, why aren't they able too... IMHO all comes down to how they train their security staff.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Hahaha, now the long game of Schiphol is clear. Make some of the most convoluted and terrible security processes of any airport on Earth, and then let people play to bypass the clusterf*ck. Brilliant.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by caliform
Hahaha, now the long game of Schiphol is clear. Make some of the most convoluted and terrible security processes of any airport on Earth, and then let people play to bypass the clusterf*ck. Brilliant.
This already exists and is called Privium.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by troje
This already exists and is called Privium.
Privium is for the frequent flyer, this is for the once-a-year flyer who will want to treat themselves.
nldogbert likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, Privium fliers were regularly thrown into long lines this year at the worst of times for security, so not sure if that's entirely true. It seems they want multiple streams of revenue now
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:24 am

Well, Privium fliers were regularly thrown into long lines this year at the worst of times for security, so not sure if that's entirely true. It seems they want multiple streams of revenue now
I can't recall ever having to wait more than 10 minutes in the SP lane (which is pretty much shared with Privium) until I get the chance to put my bag onto the tray, 10 minutes might be considered a long queue for some, but then when you consider the normal queue waiting times are 40+ minutes and sometimes over an hour...
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not sure if we can use the regular line as a benchmark. I just compare it to services like PreCheck or... any priority lane at any other airport, anywhere, which seems to operate normally and with a good pace (no absolutely nonsensical secondary checks).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:47 am

I think those are 2 different benchmarks, one is the time you have to queue until it's your turn and the second is how long the check actually takes (secondary or not).
The major problem in AMS is the latter, which is obviously affecting the former, but then I doubt any sort of priority service in AMS will fix this problem.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
I can't recall ever having to wait more than 10 minutes in the SP lane (which is pretty much shared with Privium) until I get the chance to put my bag onto the tray, 10 minutes might be considered a long queue for some, but then when you consider the normal queue waiting times are 40+ minutes and sometimes over an hour...
Not sure if we can use the regular line as a benchmark. I just compare it to services like PreCheck or... any priority lane at any other airport, anywhere, which seems to operate normally and with a good pace (no absolutely nonsensical secondary checks).
Originally Posted by Ditto
I think those are 2 different benchmarks, one is the time you have to queue until it's your turn and the second is how long the check actually takes (secondary or not).
The major problem in AMS is the latter, which is obviously affecting the former, but then I doubt any sort of priority service in AMS will fix this problem.
My benchmark is the former Privium checkpoint. Waiting time only very rarely over a minute, and secondary screening was unheard of.

Johan
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Interesting security check this evening. At Departures 2 Priority lane, pretty much every tray went into secondary. Clogging up to such an extent that they had to close the line . My three trays all went into secondary and I had to confirm that the keyring was indeed a keyring. After clearing the final tray, the staff member apologised and said that this time something is wrong with the trays.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje
Interesting security check this evening. At Departures 2 Priority lane, pretty much every tray went into secondary. Clogging up to such an extent that they had to close the line . My three trays all went into secondary and I had to confirm that the keyring was indeed a keyring. After clearing the final tray, the staff member apologised and said that this time something is wrong with the trays.
The trays???

What the heck was wrong with the trays? Wrong shape? Wrong size? Wrong color? Too heavy? Too light? Radioactive? Do they run on lithium batteries?

Johan
Carel1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.