FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   First new security filter operational at AMS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1567393-first-new-security-filter-operational-ams.html)

johan rebel Jul 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Brobbel (Post 23188041)
Did you receive a reply?

No, not yet. Nor do I expect one soon, given the time it took them to reply to my first e-mail.

Johan

Another user name to remember Jul 14, 2014 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 23187634)
...I decided to see if one can actually opt-out and do an old-fashion check but this was not allowed...

Weird. I always opt-out at Schiphol and that is no problem at all. Only once one of the clerks did not know opt-out was allowed, but a colleague of her quickly explained the rules to her.

Very often, opt-out does not even result in a pat down but just a regular scan via the metal detector.

mfkne Jul 14, 2014 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember (Post 23191879)
Very often, opt-out does not even result in a pat down but just a regular scan via the metal detector.

Well that's not gonna happen anymore now that there are no more metal detectors at the new filter.

Another user name to remember Jul 14, 2014 6:25 am

So:
- Confirmation that opt-out was denied (Xandrios)
- no metal detectors in the new setup (mfkne)
- Very weird statement on the Schiphol website ("Security Scan not a Bodyscan": http://www.schiphol.nl/Reizigers/OpS...curityScan.htm)
- Not a word on opt-out on the Schiphol information leaflet

Luckily: on the Q&A of the Nationaal Coordinator Terrorismebestrijding, Question number 3:
Q: Is gebruik van de Security Scanner verplicht?
Q: (Is the use of the Security Scanner mandatory?)
A: Nee, passagiers mogen weigeren om door de Security Scanner te gaan. In dat geval wordt men volledig gefouilleerd.
A: (No, opt-out results in a full pat down.)

Followed by a very convenient 'print this page' button.

Zembla Jul 14, 2014 7:32 am

I can confirm: if you're a heavy Schengen flyer and you have Sky Priority there is absolutely no reason to keep Privium (unless any of the Other benefits mean the world to you)

The person at the entrance confirmed to me that this setup is definitive. When I asked why I should continue to pay for Privium with Sky Priority he stammered a bit and said: because you don't have to wait. Me looking meaningful at the people clogging up in front of the belt was enough to make him chuckle sheepishly.

johan rebel Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Zembla (Post 23192894)
unless any of the Other benefits mean the world to you

The only one I value is the ClubLounge, the only AMS lounge that serves edible food. It is inconveniently located for transfer pax, so it is only really value for money if you a) fly from AMS often and b) arrive at the airport so early that you have time for a lounge visit.

Johan

johan rebel Jul 16, 2014 5:13 am

This is beyond ridiculous

Before visiting the ClubLounge today, I spent 5 minutes at the new Schengen security checkpoint to observe proceedings. The priority side on the left has two Privium scanners, as well as a supervised entry point for other priority pax. Those who are let through then need to scan their boarding cards themselves before being allowed to proceed to the security checkpoints proper. There are four of those on the "priority" side, of which #1 was out of order and being repaired. The other three were very busy, despite the fact that it was a fairly quiet time of day (12.30 p.m.), and despite the fact that I observed zero Privium and only two priority pax being admitted in those 5 minutes. It soon became apparent why. A lane supervisor was assiduously feeding pax from the economy side into the "priority" checkpoints! Families with lots of kids and babies, etc.

Upon arrival at the lounge, I discussed the matter with the girl at the desk. She confirmed that priority (of all kinds), now only comprises of priority access. There are no longer any priority security checkpoints of any kind, and the lane supervisor's job is to spread the pax evenly over all checkpoints, period.

This must be the insanest treatment of priority pax I've seen anywhere. Basically, it is one big charade. You may gain a few minutes by using the priority entry point, but not even that is sure. Whilst I was watching, the agent on duty spent most of his time denying entry to non-eligible pax, which often took quite some time, as he had to examine boarding cards and then direct the pax concerned to the other side. So even quick entry is not guaranteed.

I asked the girl at the desk the obvious question: what exactly am I paying for? She had no answer, but said that they were getting lots of complaints, which she seemed to think was a good thing, because these could be passed on to "people upstairs".

This not only affects us Privium members, but also all J and SkyPriority pax. I strongly suggest that those of you who avail yourselves of the so-called priority lane bring this matter to the attention of KL. I assume that they are paying Schiphol for this, so the matter should be of some concernt to them as well.

Johan

Zembla Jul 16, 2014 5:17 am

Whoa. The whole thing is even worse than I thought... :td:

mfkne Jul 16, 2014 5:32 am

In the meantime the passenger footbridge becomes more and more attractive.

johan rebel Jul 16, 2014 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Zembla (Post 23204359)
Whoa. The whole thing is even worse than I thought.

You can say that again!

I fired off another e-mail to Privium

"Geachte heer XXX,

Ik heb zojuist vijf minuten de tijd genomen om eens bij het nieuwe security filter te gaan kijken, en wel aan de zogenaamde "prioity" kant. Gedurende die tijd maakten nul (0) Privium leden gebruik van de scanners, en zegge en schrijve twee (2) passagiers gebruikten de "priority" doorgang. Security checkpoint #1 was buiten gebruik, maar bij 2 t/m 4 was het stervens druk. In eerste instantie tot mijn verbazing, maar al gauw bleek dat een lane supervisor het erg druk had met het vullen van de priority checkpoints met pax van de economy kant!

Uw vriendelijke collega aan de balie in de ClubLounge bevestigde mijn waarnemingen: de zogenaamde "priority" bestaat tegenwoordig alleen nog maar uit een apart toegangspunt, vervolgens kunnen we gewoon achter in de rij aansluiten, achter alle economy passgiers, met kinderen, babies, en wat dies meer zij. Ik heb helemaal niks tegen economy passagiers, en ook niet tegen hun kinderen en babies, maar dit is natuurlijk volkomen van de gekke!

U schrijft in uw eerdere e-mail dat ik "als Privium Plus lid dan ook altijd sneller dan de economy passagier in het proces bij de security" blijf. Het spijt mij, maar ik kan dit alleen maar kwalificeren als boerenbedrog. Tot voor kon ik als Privium lid rechstreeks met de lift naar een apart checkpoint, waar ik nooit langer dan één minuut of mijn beurt hoefde te wachten. En nu . . .

Ik begrijp het misschien helemaal verkeerd, maar mij is altijd wijsgemaakt dat het hele Privium concept gebaseerd is op de gedachte dat frequente pax zo snel en efficiënt mogelijk door de luchthaven geloods worden. Daar betalen wij elk jaar een niet gering bedrag voor.

Nogmaals: wat gaat u aan de onstane situatie doen? Als het antwoord "helemaal niks" is, het geen mij niet zou verbazen, dan lijkt het mij een goed idee om U prijzen aan te passen. Als u niet kunt waarmaken wat u belooft, kunt u nog hooguit 25% van het huidige bedrag reken, dunkt mij.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Rebel
"

johan rebel Jul 16, 2014 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 23204414)
In the meantime the passenger footbridge becomes more and more attractive.

Sure, but I guess that depends on where you are coming from, and where you are going.

I am usually dropped off in front of terminal 2. Not because I need to be, but because I generally arrive in the company of others who have bags to check. My flight then may or may not depart from B or C.

Johan

johan rebel Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am

While I was at it, I figured I might just as well e-mail KLM too.

"L.S.

Op Schiphol mogen sommige passagiers gebruik maken van uw SkyPriority diensten. Recent is het nieuwe Schengen security filter in Vertrekhal 1 in gebruik genomen.

Ik heb zojuist vijf minuten de tijd genomen om eens bij het nieuwe security filter te gaan kijken, en wel aan de zogenaamde "prioity" kant. Gedurende die tijd maakten nul (0) Privium leden gebruik van de scanners, en zegge en schrijve twee (2) passagiers gebruikten de "priority" doorgang. Security checkpoint #1 was buiten gebruik, maar bij #2 t/m 4 was het stervens druk. In eerste instantie tot mijn verbazing, maar al gauw bleek dat een lane supervisor het erg druk had met het vullen van de priority checkpoints met pax van de economy kant!

Een dame aan de balie in de Privium ClubLounge (ik ben lid) bevestigde mijn waarnemingen: de zogenaamde "priority" bestaat tegenwoordig alleen nog maar uit een apart toegangspunt, vervolgens kunnen we gewoon achter in de rij aansluiten, achter alle economy passgiers, met kinderen, babies, en wat dies meer zij. Ik heb helemaal niks tegen economy passagiers, en ook niet tegen hun kinderen en babies, maar dit is natuurlijk volkomen van de gekke!

Het spijt mij, maar ik kan dit alleen maar kwalificeren als boerenbedrog. Tot voor kon ik als Lifetime Platinum Elite gebruik maken van een apart checkpoint, waar ik nooit langer dan één of twee minuten op mijn beurt hoefde te wachten. En nu . . .

Ik neem aan dat KLM de luchthaven betaalt voor SkyPriority voorrang bij de veiligheidscontrole. Bij het nieuwe security filter krijgen SkyPriority pax nauwelijks voorrang meer, hetgeen een flinke stap achteruit is. Schiphol staat in een klap bij mij helemaal onder aan de lijst van luchthavens wat betreft security Fast Track. Zelfs LHR T5 doet het beter, en dat zegt nogal wat! Hoe het zover heeft kunnen komen is mij een volstrekt raadsel, maar belangrijker is de vraag wat KLM hier aan gaat doen?

SkyPriorty bij het boarden etc. wordt zeer gewaardeerd, maar wat schieten wij ermee op als we opeens 15 of 20 minuten in het veiligheids filter doorbrengen, in plaats van hooguit een minuut of twee?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Rebel
"

mfkne Jul 16, 2014 5:53 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 23204423)
"
Nogmaals: wat gaat u aan de onstane situatie doen? Als het antwoord "helemaal niks" is, het geen mij niet zou verbazen, dan lijkt het mij een goed idee om U prijzen aan te passen. Als u niet kunt waarmaken wat u belooft, kunt u nog hooguit 25% van het huidige bedrag reken, dunkt mij.
"

Good one. I think though that what is going to happen is the annual price increase.

I just cannot for the life of me understand why Schiphol are hell-bent on destroying a good, decently working product (Privium) and the excellent reputation of the whole airport (by rendering priority security useless).

johan rebel Jul 16, 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 23204493)
I just cannot for the life of me understand why Schiphol are hell-bent on destroying a good, decently working product (Privium) and the excellent reputation of the whole airport (by rendering priority security useless).

I am as baffled as you are! I would not hold my breath while waiting for a forthright answer either.

Four years ago I e-mailed them about the non-Schengen/Schengen security checkpoint, where you also end up in line behind everybody else, unless you have the temerity to point to the tiny Privium sign hanging up there somewhere and then elbow you way to the front. I still have Privium's reply, from which I quote:

"Geachte heer Rebel,

Dank voor uw e-mail.

Dit is een probleem waar wij op de hoogte van zijn sinds een aantal weken.

Het ontstaan van het probleem is omdat meerdere partijen binnen Schiphol hun wil uitspraken over een 'fast lane' in de filter niet-shengen -shengen.
Zowel KLM/Premium en andere Airlines (short connection flights) wilden de situatie veranderd zien. Hierdoor onstond er een Pilot ( Waar wij niet blij mee waren) in combinatie met onze fast lane.

Vanaf het begin is er een stuurgroep geweest om dit te analyseren en wij zijn contant bezig geweest onze lane te verdedigen. Privium is slechts een kleine speler in dit geheel.

Wij bieden u onze welgemeende excuses an zullen uw klacht doorsturen naar security.
"

Note the part where Privium describe themselves as "only a bit player"!

Johan

ok986 Jul 16, 2014 6:32 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 23204349)
Upon arrival at the lounge, I discussed the matter with the girl at the desk. She confirmed that priority (of all kinds), now only comprises of priority access. There are no longer any priority security checkpoints of any kind, and the lane supervisor's job is to spread the pax evenly over all checkpoints, period.

My understanding has been that the two security check-points which are on the left side are for Privium and priority passengers primarily. If there are few/none, they can be used by other passengers. Of course, once other passengers have been assigned, they will not be re-assigned once priority passengers arrive.

However, at peak times, the waiting queue at priority checkpoints can be (significantly) longer than at regular check-points, because supervisors won't assign priority passengers to 'regular' check-points.