Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The transfer filter was a breeze last week. Nobody in line, new scanners, no need to remove anything, no secondary. A jaw-dropping experience. The priority lanes were closed, but there was no need for them. I've never seen them open, but I rarely transfer at Schiphol.

Johan
caliform and Thysk like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 8:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Same? I'll probably jinx myself saying this but the last few times it has been flawless going through with the 'everything stays in the bag' rule. No random secondaries, friendly orderlies, quick... what happened?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went through the one and only priority lane at what remains of T1 security. Turned out to be priority in name only, because although two agents were supervising the access point, there was nobody doing so at the other side. As a result all the regular pax were self-prioritizing themselves into the "priority" checkpoint. Great! Then the trays ran out, and when the supply resumed the trays were only fed to one of the three loading stations. Needless to say, that was the one farthest from me, so I was left high and dry until an agent finally grabbed some for me before the regular pax who had arrived later than I laid their hands on them.

I had two carry-ons, one of which was a backpack that I only use occassionally. This backpack contained absolutely nothing that could possibly warrant a secondary check. The contents consisted of clothing and reading materials. Having finally gotten trays, I removed the usual suspects from my regular bag (i.e. half the contents) and sent everything through. On the other side I kept a beady eye on the agent manning the screen. This lady, on the other hand, was not exactly keeping a beady eye on that screen, she seemed more interested in her surroundings and her colleagues. She didn't even glance at the screen as my bags went through the scanner, yet she sent my backpack to secondary! Maybe she was trying to reach some self-imposed quota. The agent at secondary put the backpack in the scanner, pulled it straight out again, and gave it back to me with the words "alles in orde, hoor".

What a great way to spend a quarter of an hour!

As an aside, Schengen to non-Schengen immigrations was a zoo on steroids as I walked past, even though all the biometric checkpoints were open. Huge lines, with desperate pax with (presumably) short connections trying to fight their way to the front.

Johan
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: FB plat for life
[QUOTE=johan rebel;31900311On the other side I kept a beady eye on the agent manning the screen. This lady, on the other hand, was not exactly keeping a beady eye on that screen, she seemed more interested in her surroundings and her colleagues. She didn't even glance at the screen as my bags went through the scanner, yet she sent my backpack to secondary! Maybe she was trying to reach some self-imposed quota. [/QUOTE]

AFAIK the screen next to the checkpoint is linked to another checkpoint - in other words the person watching the screen is not deciding over your stuff going secondary but over that of someone at a different check point. That way - they cannot misread people or be influenced by the pax....
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Interesting read: Hoe controleert Schiphol je bagage?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
AFAIK the screen next to the checkpoint is linked to another checkpoint - in other words the person watching the screen is not deciding over your stuff going secondary but over that of someone at a different check point. That way - they cannot misread people or be influenced by the pax....
If so, then I wonder why . . . .

- everything takes much longer and a lot more bags aret sent to secondary at checkpoints where an operator is being trained? I've only rarely had the misfortune to get a checkpoint where training is being carried out, so the sample is small, but in all those instances the effect was noticeable.

- everything comes to a temporary halt when the operator is replaced for some reason? It is not the belt at another checkpoint that stops, but the one where a new operator is taking over.

- when I was loading my trays at a checkpoint where just about every bag was going to secondary, suddenly no bags at all went to secondary after the operator was replaced? I got the impression that the new guy pragmatically decided to just clear the backlog as quickly as possible by not being too finnicky.

In any case, there was no reason whatsoever to send my backpack to secondary yesterday, no matter who the screen operator was. When I got home I emptied it completely just to see if I had left something in there that might in some way have aroused suspicion, but found nothing at all.

Johan
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
God, the astounding levels of nonsense in this article almost made my eyes roll out of my head. Special software to extract a laptop's shape from the 3D model of luggage? TSA does this with two-D scanners and does it faster, with fewer false positives (nearly zero), and friendlier and better.

They indicate their stupid experiments with machine learning led to one in five (ONE IN FIVE) bags to get flagged for secondary, and that it's down to a whopping one in ten now. Absurd. I think they're talking about false positives here.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
They indicate their stupid experiments with machine learning led to one in five (ONE IN FIVE) bags to get flagged for secondary.
Hey, look on the bright side! It is definitely an improvement on certain human operators who consistently flag five in one bags!

Johan
Zembla and caliform like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
I guess I have been lucky with security at Schiphol, It's been super quick for me and having torush around to take stuff out of my hand luggage is a real pain.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
I'm really starting to wonder what apparently I do differently, I always breeze through without any bag going to secondary, ever...
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak
I'm really starting to wonder what apparently I do differently, I always breeze through without any bag going to secondary, ever...
Do you bring empty, sanitized and sterilized bags, by and chance?

Johan
caliform likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Do you bring empty, sanitized and sterilized bags, by and chance?

Johan
No definitely not.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Their marvelously smart 'machine learning' 3D scanners that no doubt cost about 50 times more than the standard issue machines they use in US airports have managed to mark my camera lenses as suspicious 100 out of 100 times. It always has to be checked, and swabbed. No other airport has this issue. Machine learning?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Their marvelously smart 'machine learning' 3D scanners that no doubt cost about 50 times more than the standard issue machines they use in US airports have managed to mark my camera lenses as suspicious 100 out of 100 times. It always has to be checked, and swabbed. No other airport has this issue. Machine learning?
It's just that you are suspicious because you are the only person who likes the new lounge concept

The "experimental" new body scanner, that used to be on the leftmost post in Dep 1 security, is now on that random security spot after passport control from S to NS side.
I really really hope they didn't estabilish the random screening port just for that trial to continue...
caliform, PeteM01 and Thysk like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: FB Plat
I normally have the same but a few days ago no secondary surprisingly. It was a first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.