First new security filter operational at AMS

Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Hey, in what other airport can you load up on regular priced food at Hema and Albert Heijn (albeit landside, so can't take drinks through security)?

The NEW security check (with the new xray machine) will allow you to bring liquids in exces of 100ml as far as I understood the staff last month, because I was going to drink up my water from my personal bottle and the officer said just leave it in the tray and it will be ok. And indeed, nobody cared for my 700ml water bottle... I suppose a can of any liquid will do fine then as well?!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
The NEW security check (with the new xray machine) will allow you to bring liquids in exces of 100ml as far as I understood the staff last month, because I was going to drink up my water from my personal bottle and the officer said just leave it in the tray and it will be ok. And indeed, nobody cared for my 700ml water bottle... I suppose a can of any liquid will do fine then as well?!
I know that there were plans to eventually allow relaxation of the liquid rules given sufficient technical equipment, but I don't know if provisions are made for this yet in legal sense... might have just been a lenient controller.

Anyway this morning security was a very surprising breeze. Directed to the right line of priority (so not the new scanner, but old tube style one), still, no lines, belt on posed no problem, bag went to secondary, but only to check that my deodorant was a stick, not a gel type.

All in all, extremely satisfied. Are they still striking? Because if this is how they strike, I wan't them to strike indefinitely.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:43 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just had a call (after complaining) from the MoD person in charge here for these systems at AMS about how for the same contents which travelled within a couple of days at different airports in Europe did not have any issue and at AMS the bag had to go into secondary for empty 30ml bottles.
I was told that indeed there are new Xray systems in Hall 2 &3 where you don't have to take anything out (even laptops, etc) but these systems are not yet available in Hall 1 (which I pass through most of the time). I was told to expect these newer systems in Hall 1 in the coming months and by year end, beginning next year, all these new Xray systems should be available at all points.

I also pointed out about the 'strange' body scanner in Hall 1, which I declined to use the last time but was told/force to use it because my stuff was on the same side and I could not opt for the usual body scanner. I was informed that this is wrong information, I should have been given an option to use the usual body scanner. So for those of you that don't feel comfortable yet with that strange super large Xray type body scanner, you can insist to use the normal body scanner.

Cheers!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I just had a call (after complaining) from the MoD person in charge here for these systems at AMS about how for the same contents which travelled within a couple of days at different airports in Europe did not have any issue and at AMS the bag had to go into secondary for empty 30ml bottles.!
Did you get an answer to your question?

Johan
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond

I also pointed out about the 'strange' body scanner in Hall 1, which I declined to use the last time but was told/force to use it because my stuff was on the same side and I could not opt for the usual body scanner. I was informed that this is wrong information, I should have been given an option to use the usual body scanner. So for those of you that don't feel comfortable yet with that strange super large Xray type body scanner, you can insist to use the normal body scanner.
And a complete opt-out is always an option, too.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Did you get an answer to your question?

Johan
The person could not give a definitive answer, but only said that indeed, the at times this happens because when the system is not able to determine items and there is a certain percentage of doubt, it would send it for secondary. As I was informed before (to earlier complains), the decision is a big part controlled by a central system. Anyway, I know that I would have not been able to press more out but I guess I will live with the situation until the new systems are installed and well see how it goes.

Originally Posted by mfkne
And a complete opt-out is always an option, too.
Yes, that's correct. But the next time I am forced to use the odd-out body scanner, I will insist on using the usual one. This odd-out body scanner it seems is just currently being tested at AMS. I have seen it a couple of times before at certain airports in the US sometime ago late last year, but in my last few trips to different airports in the US (some airports are repeat visits) I don't remember seeing it until it appeared recently at AMS Hall 1. I don't like it because of the posture required which is weird compared to the normal one.

Last edited by nldogbert; Jul 11, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Is that body scanner you write about, part of the Sky Priority / Fast Track in hall 1? I'll have a look next week when I travel again
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
Is that body scanner you write about, part of the Sky Priority / Fast Track in hall 1? I'll have a look next week when I travel again
Yes, it's all the way on the left side when you enter the priority lane after exiting the KLM Priority counters (if you are flying KLM). It is shaped like a box but without the top section.
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
If you're having a hard time picturing it, it's one of those: https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/pro...93-332676.html
skycruiserNL likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

at times this happens because when the system is not able to determine items and there is a certain percentage of doubt, it would send it for secondary... the decision is a big part controlled by a central system.
Their stated goal is that no more than 10% should be sent to secondary. They are obviously nowhere near that, so they either need to take a hard look at their algorithms, or rewire their operators. Given that I often observe a huge discrepancy in the number of bags being sent to secondary between adjacent checkpoints, I figure they should start with the latter option.

Johan
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texas gold
- Pick-Up and Drop-Off is as Johan stated very congested and disorganised. The recent attempts to divert Terminal 1 pick-ups and Drop-Offs from 2 and 3 has resulted in more congestion.
Schiphol has now hit upon a brilliant solution: they are going to charge for both pick-up and drop-off.

Originally Posted by texas gold
I would rate Schiphol as one of the worst major airports in the world. I do not see it getting any better in the future.
In the latest issue of Zakenreis there's a lot of whinging and whining about AMS. Corporate travel managers and KL representatives don't mince words criticizing the airport.

Johan
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:18 pm

Overheard this morning at departure 2.

Middle aged lady doing her best to get through security.
Agent: "Is this the first time you fly?"
Lady:" No, but it's the first time I got touched like this!"
Koby likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Schiphol has now hit upon a brilliant solution: they are going to charge for both pick-up and drop-off.
They will not, because they may not.

The municipality of Haarlemmermeer has rejected AMS' request to charge drivers who drop off or pick up pax.

Johan
Koby and malmostoso like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:00 am

Hi,

Has any noticed the rather recent obsession of the officers in the Hall 1 security that you need to stand precisely on the yellow footprints?
Passed through a couple of times in the last 2 months and even slightly out they start insisting or pointing it out... why o why? never seen this type of insisten outside of Hall 1 nor anywhere else in the world....

Cheers!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Hi,

Has any noticed the rather recent obsession of the officers in the Hall 1 security that you need to stand precisely on the yellow footprints?
Passed through a couple of times in the last 2 months and even slightly out they start insisting or pointing it out... why o why? never seen this type of insisten outside of Hall 1 nor anywhere else in the world....

Cheers!

I had the same experience, thought it was just me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.