First new security filter operational at AMS

Reply

Old Sep 24, 17, 8:53 am
  #421  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Was there on the 12th in morning rush hour for a schengen flight.

Total wait time about 10 minutes. Pretty good rate of flow and dnot that many to secondary that I could see. Only thing you could criticize that security crew for is rather lax personal grooming and uniform standards
wijnands is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 17, 11:43 am
  #422  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,272
Originally Posted by wijnands View Post
Only thing you could criticize that security crew for is rather lax personal grooming and uniform standards
Although that may well indicate a lax attitude to company rules and regulations, I'm not too concerned about how well they have brushed their teeth, or what they are wearing. I won't object to them wearing pink pajamas with orange polka dots, as long as they let me through in no more than a minute or two.

Johan
Carel1 likes this.
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 17, 3:53 am
  #423  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Although that may well indicate a lax attitude to company rules and regulations, I'm not too concerned about how well they have brushed their teeth, or what they are wearing. I won't object to them wearing pink pajamas with orange polka dots, as long as they let me through in no more than a minute or two.

Johan

Same here Johan and after the horror stories of this summer I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. It was back to the Schiphol I am used to.
wijnands is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 17, 4:10 pm
  #424  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 1,383
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Although that may well indicate a lax attitude to company rules and regulations, I'm not too concerned about how well they have brushed their teeth, or what they are wearing. I won't object to them wearing pink pajamas with orange polka dots, as long as they let me through in no more than a minute or two.

Johan
Agreed. I've had the odd opposite happen, where a security guy was giving me grief for having long hair (?) as a guy.

Good god man, just do your job, you're not the fashion police.
caliform is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 17, 2:22 am
  #425  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,272
Originally Posted by caliform View Post
a security guy was giving me grief for having long hair (?) as a guy.
Try to imagine all the lethal stuff you can conceal in a fine head of hair!

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 17, 12:10 am
  #426  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,272
Just walked past airside transfer security. Wasn't very busy. Most checkpoints had five trays lined up at secondary, a few only two or three. At a rough estimate, 50%. Ridiculous!

Went through T2 security yesterday. Very quiet, I was the only one one the priority side. As I was going through the Privium gate, I could see an agent starting to wave over regular pax, so I increased my pace. Amazingly, she then try to physically block my way by standing right in front of me, still waving the regular pax forward with one hand, and pointing at the priority lane with the other. I just brushed right past her.

Managed to avoid secondary, but only by taking half the contents out of my bags and placing them neatly and carefully spaced in several trays. Ended up with a total of four. I probably saved some time, but not much.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 17, 12:59 pm
  #427  
Hilton 10+ BadgeIHG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,886
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Just walked past airside transfer security. Wasn't very busy. Most checkpoints had five trays lined up at secondary, a few only two or three. At a rough estimate, 50%. Ridiculous!

Went through T2 security yesterday. Very quiet, I was the only one one the priority side. As I was going through the Privium gate, I could see an agent starting to wave over regular pax, so I increased my pace. Amazingly, she then try to physically block my way by standing right in front of me, still waving the regular pax forward with one hand, and pointing at the priority lane with the other. I just brushed right past her.

Managed to avoid secondary, but only by taking half the contents out of my bags and placing them neatly and carefully spaced in several trays. Ended up with a total of four. I probably saved some time, but not much.

Johan
tsk tsk...unacceptable on the part of the agent. You should request for a supervisor (i know useless task) to provide your "opinion".
These days i give up.. if they want to do secondary, they can do as much as they like. Given up hope on these jokers...unless I guess you empty your bag out will secondary be avoided though still a small chance that they might think the metal rods left are dangerous...
nldogbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:42 pm
  #428  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK/FR
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 802
Does someone know if the following is possible:
I have a non-Schengen flight, is it possible to clear security on the Schengen side and then go through passport control like I was connecting Schengen -> non-Schengen?

The idea is to avoid the lounge 52 and reduce the walking since flight leaving from D.
Mirk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 5:45 am
  #429  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Posts: 4,937
Miraculously, this morning no secondary screening or patdown!
KLflyerRalph is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 17, 7:02 am
  #430  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: AMS / ATH
Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
Posts: 4,688
Originally Posted by Mirk View Post
Does someone know if the following is possible:
I have a non-Schengen flight, is it possible to clear security on the Schengen side and then go through passport control like I was connecting Schengen -> non-Schengen?

The idea is to avoid the lounge 52 and reduce the walking since flight leaving from D.
The agent controlling the priority line will probably not let you through. Perhaps if you use Privium, or the regular line - as there are scanners instead of a human checking tickets. Question is though if the scanners will let you through - chances are that they will not. May be worth a try though..
Xandrios is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 17, 2:38 am
  #431  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK/FR
Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 802
Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
The agent controlling the priority line will probably not let you through. Perhaps if you use Privium, or the regular line - as there are scanners instead of a human checking tickets. Question is though if the scanners will let you through - chances are that they will not. May be worth a try though..
Since I had time, I went and tried. The machines don't let you go through!
Mirk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 5:44 am
  #432  
Hilton 10+ BadgeIHG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,886
Security staff are complaining to Schiphol on work load

Hi,

My short summary:
Seems our overzealous friends are complaining that they are under heavy workload and putting the pressure on Schiphol airport. Seems that they can't have even a restroom break and have to hold it in.
A whistleblower informed the local paper here that due to this workload, security staff is not able to concentrate on their work, so travellers and staff working at the airport leading to a lower security scrutiny.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1135...an-beveiligers

My take on this, a load of bs...these people are just trying to put the pressure in getting more pay or more power. This could be due to all the experiences I've had and see how they operate...as I see outside of peak hours, there is a lot of them hanging around doing nothing. In my opinion, they should rearrange the roster of these people and revise their screening procedure.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Nov 10, 17 at 6:57 am
nldogbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 5:48 am
  #433  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,768
Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
In my opinion, they should rearrange the rooster of these people
Leave the poor rooster out of this!
mfkne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 17, 6:56 am
  #434  
Hilton 10+ BadgeIHG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,886
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Leave the poor rooster out of this!
haha... i guess a rooster would have done a better job than these jokers...
anyway corrected the typo...
Carel1 likes this.
nldogbert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 4:07 pm
  #435  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Posts: 262
This evening at departures three: 200+ pax queue for the automatic passport gates as usual. Then all gates suddenly stop functioning. Staff tries to do something that appeared as a reboot. Without any result. After five minutes, all pax are directed towards the four manned passport queues. Needless to say there was a bit of undercapacity. It took me 30 minutes to get passed the border, nearly missed my flight.

At arrival in London, e-Gates function as a breeze. Can't Schiphol buy some gear in the UK?
troje is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread