Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I am just wondering, since it does seem that there is something structurally NOK with this overzealous security at AMS, did you guys complain or write in to Schiphol to voice your concern.
Of course security is important, but to go to this level, I wonder why did they even bother investing in getting these expensive machines when they should have just got more humans to do all manual checks? I mean it is our security fees that we pay in our tickets that are paying their salaries...so why should we pay for their incompetence?

On the other hand, I did read in an article sometime ago that they even want to start a trial where pax do not need to remove anything out of their baggage including liquids as they are starting to invest in equipments to do these detection....

Cheers!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Ditto
That is normally my experience as well, but it seems that this can operate even without anyone staring at the screen.
Also in that case, the trays sat in point before the split for a few seconds before a decision was made, how and by whom the decision was made I don't know...
My 2 cents, but I think they use multiplexing (aka CIP : Centralized Image Processing). Images of your bags can actually be sent to whoever is logged on on the checkpoint, not necessarily to the screener sat next to your lane. What might be confusing for pax especially when there is no one sat next to your lane...
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Porcepic
My 2 cents, but I think they use multiplexing (aka CIP : Centralized Image Processing). Images of your bags can actually be sent to whoever is logged on on the checkpoint, not necessarily to the screener sat next to your lane. What might be confusing for pax especially when there is no one sat next to your lane...
That makes sense, because I've seen lanes in full operation with no agent manning the screen.

One would imagine and hope, however, that only the most experienced agents are then assigned to remote monitoring.

Johan
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:01 am

It was also very quick about an hour ago, took me about 15 minutes from the train station and to the lounge, going through departure 3 security and manned EU passport queue.
Most of those 15 minutes were spent waiting for my umbrella to be manually inspected, which seems to be the trend this morning, even if you take it out of the bag...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of those 15 minutes were spent waiting for my umbrella to be manually inspected, which seems to be the trend this morning.
They are no doubt assidiously looking for Markov assassination copycats.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hmm... this makes me believe that they have a daily list of which object to target for extra screening....
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hmm... this makes me believe that they have a daily list of which object to target for extra screening....
Which list always includes at least one innocuous and completely harmless object that's to be found in my bag.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terminal 1 Schengen early this morning, first time in ages I passed through at that time of day.

Lane 2 closed (didn't someone promise they would all be open all day long?), 1 and 3 were being used for Priority. Six pax ahead of me in the holding area. The regular lanes were not too busy either, so I suddenly found myself directed to #5 . One look at the pax messing around at the tray station and at the line at secondary and I turned on my heels. The agent now said I could pick the first free tray station in any line of my choice. I did so, and found myself in a lane that had run out of trays.

The good news: no pat-down (probably only the third time ever) and no secondary (OK, so I removed about half the bag's contents and laid them out neatly in a tray of their own).

Total time: eight minutes.

Could have been worse.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It depends on the time. Apparently the guarantee for all the lanes to be open only applies after 6AM.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
It depends on the time. Apparently the guarantee for all the lanes to be open only applies after 6AM.
I'm pretty sure that 6h53 is after 6 a.m.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
(didn't someone promise they would all be open all day long?),
I thought that was only for the busy summer period, when I left from departure 3 the other day, they didn't even bother with having a priority lane, there were maybe 2 pax before me in the queue for a single lane, and I think in total they had maybe 5 open all around.

It seems really pointless for them to open anything more than what was already open.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought that was only for the busy summer period, when I left from departure 3 the other day, they didn't even bother with having a priority lane, there were maybe 2 pax before me in the queue for a single lane, and I think in total they had maybe 5 open all around.

It seems really pointless for them to open anything more than what was already open.
If they would focus on optimizing the flow, they could probably get away with fewer lanes even at busier times.

In an interview in the latest issue of Zakenreis, Schiphol COO Otto promises new hightech hand luggage scanners, but only a year and a half from now. At the earliest.

Johan
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
If they would focus on optimizing the flow, they could probably get away with fewer lanes even at busier times.

In an interview in the latest issue of Zakenreis, Schiphol COO Otto promises new hightech hand luggage scanners, but only a year and a half from now. At the earliest.

Johan
I haven't found the machines to be the issue, but the absolutely dreadful workers and their policies.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I haven't found the machines to be the issue, but the absolutely dreadful workers and their policies.
With the new scanners, pax will supposedly no longer have to remove anything from their bags, not even liquids. That should stop the nutters from making up policies on the fly and arbitrarily ordering to you remove whatever happens to have taken their fancy that day. On the other hand, it will presumably give them a lot more excuses to send every single bag to secondary.

Johan
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
With the new scanners, pax will supposedly no longer have to remove anything from their bags, not even liquids. That should stop the nutters from making up policies on the fly and arbitrarily ordering to you remove whatever happens to have taken their fancy that day. On the other hand, it will presumably give them a lot more excuses to send every single bag to secondary.

Johan
Operative word being 'should'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.