First new security filter operational at AMS

Old Nov 16, 16, 3:24 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
This is exactly the issue, and obviously what causing the long queues to begin with, but I don't see a handful of non-priority PAX in the priority queue makes a big difference...
The big difference here is; pax pay for that privilege. Other pax don't.

Happens regularly that line managers send a constant flow of normal pax over to the priority lanes even if there already 6-12 priority pax waiting and perform the 'one normal pax send through and then one priority pax' drill. Suddenly you are number 20 in line with all the bags for the secondary scan ground everything to a complete stop.

I remember that when they introduced the new security setup @AMS they said: 5 minutes for priority pax, 10 for normal pax.
Old Nov 16, 16, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
The big difference here is; pax pay for that privilege. Other pax don't.
Agree, but during rush hour those other pax have already waited in the queue for 45 minutes, so this is also a big difference....

I remember that when they introduced the new security setup @AMS they said: 5 minutes for priority pax, 10 for normal pax.
Well, if I'm thinking about it, it rarely takes me more than 5 minutes to wait in the queue and pass the first security inspection, the delay then comes at secondary...
Old Nov 16, 16, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
They also said:

„We hopen dat mensen de nieuwe controle zó leuk vinden, dat ze na afloop vragen of ze nog een keer mogen”
The guy who said it no longer is the head of Security at Schiphol but now manages Rottterdam The Hague Airport.
Old Nov 16, 16, 8:00 am

Programs: FB Gold - STE+, BAEC Gold - OW Emerald
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
They also said:

The guy who said it no longer is the head of Security at Schiphol but now manages Rottterdam The Hague Airport.
Which is funny because the only time I experienced security there (7:30 AM bound for LCY) it was the best experience to date across all airports I ever visited.
Old Nov 16, 16, 8:56 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Agree, but during rush hour those other pax have already waited in the queue for 45 minutes, so this is also a big difference....

Well, if I'm thinking about it, it rarely takes me more than 5 minutes to wait in the queue and pass the first security inspection, the delay then comes at secondary...
If someone doesn't want to wait those 45 minutes they always can get Privium, buy business etc.

The 5 and 10 minutes they were talking about was about the whole security process, not only about the waiting period:

De ene ‘stressloze’ controle op Schiphol duurt voor gewone reizigers maximaal 10 minuten en slechts 5 voor businessclassreizigers, belooft veiligheidsdirecteur Ron Louwerse. „We hopen dat mensen de nieuwe controle zó leuk vinden, dat ze na afloop vragen of ze nog een keer mogen”, grijnst hij.

'Reizigers Schiphol in 10 minuten door check heen'

Schiphol is tevreden

Om meteen met de deur in huis te vallen. Ja, volgens Schiphol zijn de doelstellingen gehaald. Men had onder andere als doel om 95% van de economy reiziger binnen 10 minuten door de security check te loodsen. Los van de aanloopproblemen bij de start, wordt dat doel gehaald.

Still saw lines a couple of weeks ago running from Schengen security all the way to the front of the KLM Skypriority desks.
Those 5 minutes for business class pax..happens but very rare for me. 10-15 minutes is more realistic.

Last edited by Grouchy; Nov 16, 16 at 9:10 am
Old Dec 10, 16, 1:35 pm

Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Some interesting figures from a presentation by I-SEC: on average, 20% of the scanned items is send to secondary. The use of the new CT scanners decreased that number to 4%. While the detection time initially was 20s, that has since decreased to 8s. Normal X-ray takes 7s.
The false positive rate of the body scanner is a whopping 75%.
Old Dec 11, 16, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
The false positive rate of the body scanner is a whopping 75%.
In my case it is more like 99.9%. Only at AMS though. At other airports I usually sail right through.

Johan
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:29 am

Same here. At Schiphol the machine *always* finds something, even though there's never anything there. I haven't triggered a metal detector in a decade though.
Old Dec 11, 16, 6:18 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Here's the opposite. My carry-on never sees the secondary inspection in the six times per month I pass Schiphol security. Always the same drill though; Samsonite Pro DLX bag, notebook and liquids taken out while a boatload of stuff remains in the bag: Notebook charger, shaver, external HDD, phone charger, remote presenter and USB memory sticks. Then opt out for the scanner, answer the usual questions why I do so, get the manual pat down, collect stuff and proceed to border or gate.
Old Dec 11, 16, 8:14 am

It's kinda funny how it sounds like a total mess for pax whose journey begins in Amsterdam, but it's probably the easiest major hub to transfer at now due to the lack of security for most transfers.
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:20 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
See it as a great nightclub with a very strict door policy :-)
Old Dec 21, 16, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In its latest newsletter, Privium has replaced the term "priority security" with "priorty waiting area".

At least they being at bit more honest.

Johan
Old Dec 21, 16, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Ber2dca View Post
It's kinda funny how it sounds like a total mess for pax whose journey begins in Amsterdam, but it's probably the easiest major hub to transfer at now due to the lack of security for most transfers.
Yep. I did kinda like Amsterdam before but transferring to non-Schengen destinations with security at each gate was a real pain.

And these days I simply LOVE this airport!
Old Dec 21, 16, 6:41 am

As an Amsterdam-origin passenger, I've always loved Schiphol. In fact I like the new central nude-o-scope security *less* than the old security at the gate.
Old Dec 22, 16, 7:15 am

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
Hi everyone.

Got a question about priority security, besides Sky Priority who else can now take advantage of it? In the past I was always able to use the priority security on the Schengen side being *G flying Lufthansa on Y.

On the Star Alliance page http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-...ports-overview it says Star Golds can use the ''Gold Track'' at schiphol and need to look for priority lane. Anyone experienced priority security on the Non-Schengen side with this new central security being part of the ''other selected frequent flyers''?

Thank you!

Search this Thread