First new security filter operational at AMS

Reply

Old Oct 9, 16, 11:20 am
  #286  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
Came through departures 2 at 17.30 tonight and the line was massive. Luckily skirted most of it thanks to skypriority but the line extended beyond the check-in desks. Obviously my highly suspicious watch was selected for secondary screening and I had to wait until the agents finished their chit-chat to get it back.

Is AMS always this bad? I'll have to look into privium if it will become my local airport.
malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 11:30 am
  #287  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Posts: 262
These queues are quite long lately, no clue what is causing it but I suspect it has something to do with cost reduction. Privium will not give you a quicker security check because the line is the same, although I've recently had a different experience at Departures 3. Still worth having though, for when you travel on an airline where you have no status, for parking your car closer to the terminal building and (my favourite) the iris scan border passage which can sometimes save your day. Oh, and there is a lounge that some members here value highly. If only it was located airside...
troje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 12:08 pm
  #288  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,373
Originally Posted by troje View Post
If only it was located airside...
It is physically located in between, but with the introduction of central security the airside checkpoint/exit was closed. The door is still there, they could allow pax to enter from that side if they wanted to. Shouldn't be too hard to organize.

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:00 pm
  #289  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Came through departures 2 at 17.30 tonight and the line was massive. Luckily skirted most of it thanks to skypriority but the line extended beyond the check-in desks. Obviously my highly suspicious watch was selected for secondary screening and I had to wait until the agents finished their chit-chat to get it back.

Is AMS always this bad? I'll have to look into privium if it will become my local airport.
Recently (last few weeks/months) it seems to be that bad indeed....
Ditto is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:01 pm
  #290  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by troje View Post
These queues are quite long lately, no clue what is causing it but I suspect it has something to do with cost reduction.
My flight (last AMS-MUC of the day) is now officially delayed because 30 (!) passengers are still stuck at security. I suppose it's cheaper for KLM than paying hotels and dinner and EU261.
malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:19 pm
  #291  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
It is physically located in between, but with the introduction of central security the airside checkpoint/exit was closed. The door is still there, they could allow pax to enter from that side if they wanted to. Shouldn't be too hard to organize.

Johan
I still regret losing the dedicated Schengen lane as well.

Having a separate security lane before entering the lounge would make the lounge too crowded I suppose?
troje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:24 pm
  #292  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
My flight (last AMS-MUC of the day) is now officially delayed because 30 (!) passengers are still stuck at security. I suppose it's cheaper for KLM than paying hotels and dinner and EU261.
I think this is only applicable to connecting passengers coming from non Schengen. You must be waiting for a boatload of Chinese pax on a group booking!
troje is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:47 pm
  #293  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,779
Tonight even the arrivals queue at the green customs (not immigration!) channel was very long and very slow-moving, it looked like they had closed off other exists.
mfkne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 16, 12:15 am
  #294  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by troje View Post
I think this is only applicable to connecting passengers coming from non Schengen. You must be waiting for a boatload of Chinese pax on a group booking!
Uhm no, they all looked solid Bavarian people

In the end we left about 20 of them on the ground and arrived in MUC 45 minutes later.

Which of course in the grand scheme of things is not much, but with the MUC curfew looming and limited public transport from the airport into town made me a little uneasy, but maybe I'm just an anxious traveller
malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 16, 12:32 am
  #295  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,373
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
In the end we left about 20 of them on the ground and arrived in MUC 45 minutes later.
I trust and hope that KL will raise hell with Schiphol. This kind of nonsense costs them lots of money, and makes the airport ever more popular with passengers.

CPH had serious problems at central security on a few very busy days this past summer, with lines extending to the far ends of both terminals.

However . . .

. . . CPH Express (i.e. priority security) worked like a charm, and

. . . the airport promptly announced a major expansion of central security, to be up and running by next summer.

Schiphol? Hello? Are you listening?

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Oct 10, 16 at 12:43 am
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:57 am
  #296  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
I trust and hope that KL will raise hell with Schiphol.
I wrote to KLM, don't expect anything but a boilerplate answer, but hopefully more people will do the same.
malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 16, 3:49 am
  #297  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: mostly not far from AMS, otherwise NUE
Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,779
Meanwhile on Twitter Schiphol is spreading corporate BS about it being busy and working hard with the involved parties.
mfkne is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 16, 6:42 am
  #298  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pagus Bracbatensis, Kingdom of the Netherlands
Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Posts: 1,907
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Meanwhile on Twitter Schiphol is spreading corporate BS about it being busy and working hard with the involved parties.
Saw the lines yesterday, not a nice sight. A quick glance at the people that needed rebooking waiting there; that cue certainly was also >45 minutes

Passport control was just as bad yesterday. While trying to make my way towards a privium kiosk, one of the signs leading towards passport control showed:

Waiting time from here to passport control: 35-40 min

Sad thing the line was way, way longer.

Every week (for more then a year now) you will see those long lines somewhere @AMS and everytime you will those boiler plate responses on social media.
With a 100% passport control when transfer @AMS or departure on a non-Schengen flights & a clear increase in the % of bags that go into 2nd screening you would expect someone @AMS would be aware of the consequenses of those actions.
Grouchy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 16, 2:07 am
  #299  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,335
My wife just went through security at AMS.

Her purse, as well as those of the woman in front of her and the woman behind her, were sent to secondary screening "because you had too many coins in your wallet".

malmostoso is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 16, 3:06 am
  #300  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 11,373
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Her purse, as well as those of the woman in front of her and the woman behind her, were sent to secondary screening "because you had too many coins in your wallet".
A bunch of keys will also do the trick.

They've gone nuts!

Johan
johan rebel is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread