First new security filter operational at AMS

Old Oct 9, 16, 11:20 am

Came through departures 2 at 17.30 tonight and the line was massive. Luckily skirted most of it thanks to skypriority but the line extended beyond the check-in desks. Obviously my highly suspicious watch was selected for secondary screening and I had to wait until the agents finished their chit-chat to get it back.

Is AMS always this bad? I'll have to look into privium if it will become my local airport.
Old Oct 9, 16, 11:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
These queues are quite long lately, no clue what is causing it but I suspect it has something to do with cost reduction. Privium will not give you a quicker security check because the line is the same, although I've recently had a different experience at Departures 3. Still worth having though, for when you travel on an airline where you have no status, for parking your car closer to the terminal building and (my favourite) the iris scan border passage which can sometimes save your day. Oh, and there is a lounge that some members here value highly. If only it was located airside...
Old Oct 9, 16, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troje View Post
If only it was located airside...
It is physically located in between, but with the introduction of central security the airside checkpoint/exit was closed. The door is still there, they could allow pax to enter from that side if they wanted to. Shouldn't be too hard to organize.

Johan
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Came through departures 2 at 17.30 tonight and the line was massive. Luckily skirted most of it thanks to skypriority but the line extended beyond the check-in desks. Obviously my highly suspicious watch was selected for secondary screening and I had to wait until the agents finished their chit-chat to get it back.

Is AMS always this bad? I'll have to look into privium if it will become my local airport.
Recently (last few weeks/months) it seems to be that bad indeed....
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:01 pm

These queues are quite long lately, no clue what is causing it but I suspect it has something to do with cost reduction.
My flight (last AMS-MUC of the day) is now officially delayed because 30 (!) passengers are still stuck at security. I suppose it's cheaper for KLM than paying hotels and dinner and EU261.
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
It is physically located in between, but with the introduction of central security the airside checkpoint/exit was closed. The door is still there, they could allow pax to enter from that side if they wanted to. Shouldn't be too hard to organize.

Johan
I still regret losing the dedicated Schengen lane as well.

Having a separate security lane before entering the lounge would make the lounge too crowded I suppose?
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:24 pm

My flight (last AMS-MUC of the day) is now officially delayed because 30 (!) passengers are still stuck at security. I suppose it's cheaper for KLM than paying hotels and dinner and EU261.
I think this is only applicable to connecting passengers coming from non Schengen. You must be waiting for a boatload of Chinese pax on a group booking!
Old Oct 9, 16, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Tonight even the arrivals queue at the green customs (not immigration!) channel was very long and very slow-moving, it looked like they had closed off other exists.
Old Oct 10, 16, 12:15 am

I think this is only applicable to connecting passengers coming from non Schengen. You must be waiting for a boatload of Chinese pax on a group booking!
Uhm no, they all looked solid Bavarian people

In the end we left about 20 of them on the ground and arrived in MUC 45 minutes later.

Which of course in the grand scheme of things is not much, but with the MUC curfew looming and limited public transport from the airport into town made me a little uneasy, but maybe I'm just an anxious traveller
Old Oct 10, 16, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the end we left about 20 of them on the ground and arrived in MUC 45 minutes later.
I trust and hope that KL will raise hell with Schiphol. This kind of nonsense costs them lots of money, and makes the airport ever more popular with passengers.

CPH had serious problems at central security on a few very busy days this past summer, with lines extending to the far ends of both terminals.

However . . .

. . . CPH Express (i.e. priority security) worked like a charm, and

. . . the airport promptly announced a major expansion of central security, to be up and running by next summer.

Schiphol? Hello? Are you listening?

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Oct 10, 16 at 12:43 am
Old Oct 10, 16, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
I trust and hope that KL will raise hell with Schiphol.
I wrote to KLM, don't expect anything but a boilerplate answer, but hopefully more people will do the same.
Old Oct 10, 16, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold
Meanwhile on Twitter Schiphol is spreading corporate BS about it being busy and working hard with the involved parties.
Old Oct 10, 16, 6:42 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
Meanwhile on Twitter Schiphol is spreading corporate BS about it being busy and working hard with the involved parties.
Saw the lines yesterday, not a nice sight. A quick glance at the people that needed rebooking waiting there; that cue certainly was also >45 minutes

Passport control was just as bad yesterday. While trying to make my way towards a privium kiosk, one of the signs leading towards passport control showed:

Waiting time from here to passport control: 35-40 min

Sad thing the line was way, way longer.

Every week (for more then a year now) you will see those long lines somewhere @AMS and everytime you will those boiler plate responses on social media.
With a 100% passport control when transfer @AMS or departure on a non-Schengen flights & a clear increase in the % of bags that go into 2nd screening you would expect someone @AMS would be aware of the consequenses of those actions.
Old Oct 11, 16, 2:07 am

My wife just went through security at AMS.

Her purse, as well as those of the woman in front of her and the woman behind her, were sent to secondary screening "because you had too many coins in your wallet".

Old Oct 11, 16, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Her purse, as well as those of the woman in front of her and the woman behind her, were sent to secondary screening "because you had too many coins in your wallet".
A bunch of keys will also do the trick.

They've gone nuts!

Johan

Search this Thread