First new security filter operational at AMS

Old May 13, 16, 3:15 am

Programs: AF/KL, LH, BA, Accor, Hilton, IHG, HERTZ, Avis
I have noticed a clear increase in the % of bags that go into 2nd screening. This week had 2 wait for 15 minutes (in priority lane) for my bag to be checked. Only for them to state that my laptop and iphone charger were the cause. How many of those do they see a day?

Are they maybe "keeping themselves extra busy" ?
Old May 13, 16, 8:39 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
I've quit Privium altogether since the new security setup started. Too often I found inexperienced travellers in front of me causing disarray. True, the lounge is very good, but more often than not I don't have time for lounges anyway. So far I didn't miss Privium for a second, it really doesn't make a difference to my travel experience. The old dedicated Privium lane was great though.

I quit for the same reason but recently subscribed again. These insane queues at the border drove me mad, last thing I long for after 15 hours of travel is to wait for 30 minutes to get into the country.
Old May 17, 16, 1:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by troje View Post
I quit for the same reason but recently subscribed again. These insane queues at the border drove me mad, last thing I long for after 15 hours of travel is to wait for 30 minutes to get into the country.
Yes that is a good point. I remember fighting past the arrival lines to get to the Privium gate and feeling angry looks staring at my back because people thought I was jumping the line.

Anyway. At this moment all my AMS travel is Schengen only, or connecting to other flights. So I really don't see any advantages for using Privium.
Old May 17, 16, 6:28 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold
Starting this week, security will begin with short work interruptions as Schiphol has not complied with their demands.
Old Jul 21, 16, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bastiaan De Leeuw View Post
I have noticed a clear increase in the % of bags that go into 2nd screening. This week had 2 wait for 15 minutes (in priority lane) for my bag to be checked. Only for them to state that my laptop and iphone charger were the cause. How many of those do they see a day?

Are they maybe "keeping themselves extra busy" ?
Or maybe they are just nuts.

Last month:

- six trays ahead of me, my backpack and gearslinger followed by several bags were all lined up for secondary. It took ages.

- two ladies were caught with nearly empty containers that were deemed slightly too large.

- another was asked whether she had money in her bag. The bag was then thoroughly searched after the owner had taken her purse out of a zip compartment and showed the agent the money.

- a gentleman's tray contained only a light summer jacket. He was repeatedly asked in English if he had keys in any of the pockets, to which he repeatedly replied in French that he spoke French. After a while the security agent pulled out a set of keys, waved them in his face, and sent him on his way.

- the suspicious items in my bags turned out to be some AA alkaline batteries and a ceramic teapot, respectively.

The only reason why it didn't take me longer than 15 minutes to get through is that two agents had the sense to come over and assist the first one, who was painstakingly thorough and very slow.

This week:

- Another lengthy hold-up at secondary, not only because almost all the bags were searched for silly items, but also because the agent in charge afterwards not only scanned them a second time, but then also subjected them to a swab with the magic wand.

- miraculously, my gearslinger was one of the few bags not singled out, but the tray containing my vest was. I had to wait a while to find out what dangerous items they expected to find in the pockets, but when my turn finally came I was asked whether they contained a wallet. There were two, and both were carefully searched. The agent must have noticed the bemused look on my face, because he said "er zou zomaar een mes tussen kunnen zitten" (there could have been a knife in there).

Oh boy, oh boy. This passes for priority security.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jul 21, 16 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 22, 16, 3:55 am

Use the Privium Bridge. That is how priority security should be!
Old Jul 22, 16, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Oh boy, oh boy. This passes for priority security.
Apart from the priority, there is a difference between priority security and normal security?
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:05 pm

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
Originally Posted by Another user name to remember View Post
Use the Privium Bridge. That is how priority security should be!
Agree. Nice for Schengen, non-LCC travel.
Old Jul 22, 16, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by pepe C View Post
Apart from the priority, there is a difference between priority security and normal security?
The non-Schengen priority security lanes are further away from the working Privium stations
Old Sep 5, 16, 5:42 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
http://www.nu.nl/economie/4317183/g4...-schiphol.html

G4S will send 150 security checkpoint employees packing because the centralised security is such a success that fewer employees are required. Their words, not mine...
Old Sep 5, 16, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not nice for the ones about to lose their jobs, but I hope they get rid of those employees who send over half the bags to secondary screening.

Johan
Old Sep 6, 16, 12:00 am

One could only wonder why it took so long and what those 150 employees have been doing for the last year, maybe that's why they could send so many bags for secondary
Old Sep 6, 16, 12:58 am

And not too long ago, they striked because the work load was too high and they wanted more staff.
Old Sep 8, 16, 9:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
One could only wonder why it took so long and what those 150 employees have been doing for the last year, maybe that's why they could send so many bags for secondary
Agreed. I think Schiphol takes the cake for the amount of useless security theatre when it comes to EU airports.
Old Sep 18, 16, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by @Schiphol
We're experiencing long queues in Departures 1. Together with our partners, we're working hard to process all passengers quickly.
Is today an especially busy day or another fail of the security planning?

Search this Thread