Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:51 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I flew in from LatAm yesterday afternoon, so this was one of the 'unsecure' countries. What a mess.

We started queuing at the top of the stairs. Some people took the escalator down and were unable to exit safely due to the people queuing right at the end. Lots of pushing and shoving. About 15 minutes wait to even reach the hall/overflow area, and 15 more to reach the point where the EU/Non-EU passport holders are separated. Out of the 9 booths only 4 were open. Out of these 4 only one for EU passports.

@Schiphol blamed it, of course, on the Dutch border police.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Gotta keep Privium attractive somehow.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I still find it ridiculous AMS does not offer any kind of (Skypriority) fast track on arrivals. Schiphol may be a convenient airport to transfer at, for departing and arriving PAX they are becoming a PITA.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
Gotta keep Privium attractive somehow.
Ha! You'd first be stuck 30 minutes in line before being able to break away and use privium. Unless you would be willing to seriously elbow your way through..

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I still find it ridiculous AMS does not offer any kind of (Skypriority) fast track on arrivals. Schiphol may be a convenient airport to transfer at, for departing and arriving PAX they are becoming a PITA.
Agreed. Although Skypriority would not solve the problem, it would just make it slightly more bearable for elites. The only real solution would be for Schiphol to get their sh** together, so that there basically is no need for Skypriority. Then I would not mind to wait in line for 10 minutes with everyone else..

Maybe I am mistaken but before the new layout came into play I do not remember this to have been such an issue. I was always able to get through in minutes upon arrival. Actually I flew in on exactly the same flight about one year ago - and the experience was fine. Maybe I was just unlucky this time, but it was quite a mess indeed.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

The difference is that before you could choose from two or three checkpoints to enter the country. Now there's only one depending on whether you're coming from a safe country or not I think - is that right?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Good question. Although the security checkpoints are more centralized, are there now more checkpoints for arrival immigration?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:36 am

Queue separation, efficient staff use is a bit of an issue.

When I recently went through the passport/immigration check to get from the 'non-Schengen' area to the Schengen area, there were 4 counters open, 2 for "all passports" and 2 for "EU passports". There was an extremely long line for the "all passport" counters and the EU passport counters were virtually empty.

But the people queuing up for the non-EU counters made it difficult for EU passport holders to get through to the EU counters quickly and without having to shove their way past people.

The situation could have been solved quickly if they had closed one EU passport counter and replaced it with an additional 'all passports' one and then had Schiphol staff (who were in the area but doing nothing) instruct people where to queue properly.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Why don't they use tensabarriers at all?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:24 am

They did but it was poorly set up, they seemed to have them set up in such a way that they planned for a separation of EU and non-EU way later than necessary i.e. they entirely underestimated the potential length of the non-EU queue.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Tip: When the queues are like this at non-schengen-schengen you can detour landside if you have the right passport/visa to do so. If the landside queue is long, you'll still have another checkpoint to choose from.

Last edited by Zembla; Aug 21, 2015 at 1:27 am
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Just a quick question, I am traveling from the UK with a transit at AMS. Would I still need to go through this screening? Also, my transit time is 2.5 hours. will it be sufficient? the queues seems very long.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Depends on where you're travelling to from AMS.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Ha! You'd first be stuck 30 minutes in line before being able to break away and use privium. Unless you would be willing to seriously elbow your way through..
Stuck like 3-4 minutes working my way through Privium when arriving from China.
Only had to say excuse me 12-14 times
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
Depends on where you're travelling to from AMS.
Sorry forgot to include that. it will a a flight from EDI to KUL via AMS.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by wsmw
Sorry forgot to include that. it will a a flight from EDI to KUL via AMS.
Good grief, 2.5 hours will be plenty of time, all you need to do is step off the flight from EDI and walk to the gate for the flight to KUL, no formalities or queuing on the way (Unless you don't already have the second boarding pass in which case stop at a KLM transfer machine to pick it up). You will find the Departures 2 area of the terminal is a building site at the moment, huge renovation works in progress, just walk on along to Departures 3, between the F and G piers, no building works there though it is busier than usual because of the mess in Departures 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.