FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   First new security filter operational at AMS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1567393-first-new-security-filter-operational-ams.html)

troje Dec 6, 2014 3:49 pm

Do you think they will allow you through the footbridge security filter with a non schengen flight? The security staff checks quite carefully my boarding pass, I wonder if they would have clear instructions to deny entry to people on non schengen flights.

mfkne Dec 7, 2014 1:54 am

They will not. Only passengers on flights departing from the B or C pier are allowed through.

Another user name to remember Dec 7, 2014 4:55 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 23955428)
They will not. Only passengers on flights departing from the B or C pier are allowed through.

Which is not strictly enforced. D pier departure for a Schengen flight is no problem to use the footbridge. And they don't really check if you are 'a selected frequent flyer'. I do carry my cancelled Privium card with me just in case (and a FB Gold card), but I've never been asked for any proof of being a 'selected frequent flyer' ever, irrespective of which airline I travel on.

Carel1 Dec 7, 2014 4:55 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 23952450)
Depends. I usually arrive at Schiphol either by train or by bus. If I arrive by bus I just go one stop further than Schiphol Plaza (Skyport) and walk about 50 meters from there. If I take the train I will try the regular route, and if I find that it's ridiculously busy I'll just go downstairs again, under Schiphol Plaza via the tunnel and I'll surface in the parking garage. Takes about 3-4 minutes in total and maintains my sanity.

I am interested, which route do you take from the train station to the parking garage?

mfkne Dec 7, 2014 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember (Post 23955773)
but I've never been asked for any proof of being a 'selected frequent flyer' ever, irrespective of which airline I travel on.

Interesting. They've always wanted to see my boarding pass before letting me through.

Originally Posted by Carel1 (Post 23955774)
I am interested, which route do you take from the train station to the parking garage?

From Schiphol Plaza, step outside and go through the tunnel to the parking garage (I've marked the tunnel on the map here). You will surface at the entrance to the parking garage (on the map it's just next to the control tower). From there you'll just walk over to the staircase closest to the foot bridge.

Carel1 Dec 7, 2014 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mfkne (Post 23956065)
Interesting. They've always wanted to see my boarding pass before letting me through.

From Schiphol Plaza, step outside and go through the tunnel to the parking garage (I've marked the tunnel on the map here). You will surface at the entrance to the parking garage (on the map it's just next to the control tower). From there you'll just walk over to the staircase closest to the foot bridge.

Thank you, I will try that:)

Another user name to remember Dec 7, 2014 10:27 am

[QUOTE=mfkne;23956065]Interesting. They've always wanted to see my boarding pass before letting me through.

Boarding pass yes. But a boarding pass for (for example) a SAS flight does not trigger any questions about eligibility for using the bridge. YMMV.

strikerbird Dec 7, 2014 10:40 am

From Schiphol Plaza, step outside and go through the tunnel to the parking garage (I've marked the tunnel on the map here). You will surface at the entrance to the parking garage (on the map it's just next to the control tower). From there you'll just walk over to the staircase closest to the foot bridge.[/QUOTE]

Now I am dead curious to try it also. Do they check if you fly economy or not? I always fly KLM economy but I am platinum member. Also is SAS passengers allowed? I fly SAS plus with gold card.

SB

mfkne Dec 7, 2014 11:18 am

It doesn't matter if you fly economy or not. SkyTeam Elite passengers can use it at any time. According to this page all premium passengers can use it, so this would suggest that it includes SAS Plus Gold.

Mind you, the bridge is only open on weekdays.

mfkne Dec 7, 2014 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Another user name to remember (Post 23956790)
Boarding pass yes. But a boarding pass for (for example) a SAS flight does not trigger any questions about eligibility for using the bridge. YMMV.

I would imagine most boarding passes show the passenger's elite status one way or another, so that could be used to establish eligibility.

strikerbird Dec 7, 2014 2:47 pm

Says on the website it is open everyday:
open every day from 06:00 to 22:00.

Btw: which one is actually faster from the train station:
A. Terminal C
B. KLM Schengen Lounge
C. Terminal D

The premium bridge or the old fashioned way taking into account the average waiting times at the security checks?

SB

mfkne Dec 7, 2014 3:30 pm

The website is too old. Because of low usage on weekends the footbridge is closed on weekends.

Zembla Dec 9, 2014 8:51 am

Originally Posted by strikerbird (Post 23957950)
Says on the website it is open everyday:
open every day from 06:00 to 22:00.

Btw: which one is actually faster from the train station:
A. Terminal C
B. KLM Schengen Lounge
C. Terminal D

The premium bridge or the old fashioned way taking into account the average waiting times at the security checks?

SB

If you mean the classic entrance and the start of the pier I would say, it's all quite equal, with the Schengen lounge being at the start of the Schengen level of the D pier.

If you mean the direct bridge, then the C pier wins...BUT...I am not sure if you win much with the direct bridge if you arrive by train, because you will have to walk pretty much the same distance as through the normal entrance. It's only usefull if you arrive by car.

mfkne Jan 2, 2015 4:55 am

For those who care, the footbridge now closes two hours earlier than before, 8 pm rather than 10 pm.

strikerbird Jan 2, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks man! Ever since I learnt about the bridge, been using all the time. You win by the waiting time mainly, I have to say.

SB