Thalys Segments and ZWE

Old Jan 8, 14, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Thalys Segments and ZWE

Quick question,

If travelling ZWE (Antwerp)-AMS-MSQ, booked as a KL flight number, does the ZWE-AMS sector on Thalys earn FB points/segments?

Side question, how strict are they that you actually need to turn up in ZWE to complete the first part of the trip (I live in AMS, but the only way to book AMS-MSQ with a KL flight number is to start it outside of NL.. which is frustrating... CDG-MSQ routes via AMS, and AMS-MSQ routes via CDG! AGH!).

I've read what they say on KLM.com about turning up in ZWE, but I know people who have done it and never been asked for the ZWE-AMS train ticket. Anyone with recent experience that didn't complete the ZWE-AMS sector?
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
If you do not turn up in ZWE to collect your ticket you will find that you will be unable to check in for your onward flight from AMS. It has been stated on here in the past that, without collecting your ticket in ZWE in the prescribed manner, the rest of your itinerary is frozen and/or cancelled (as a no show) - they will know whether you collected your ticket in ZWE, and this is necessary to keep your itinerary alive.

There is no way around the requirement of travelling to ZWE to collect your ticket there and commence travel in Antwerp.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 8, 14 at 6:37 am
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Fair enough, I thought so. Do the train segments earn FB miles/segments? (booked as KL flight numbers)

Not being able to book KL flight numbers from AMS is very frustrating. Exactly the same issue for AMS-DUB (leave via ZWE or trasfer in CDG/LCY). GRH.
Old Jan 8, 14, 6:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Fair enough, I thought so. Do the train segments earn FB miles/segments? (booked as KL flight numbers)

Not being able to book KL flight numbers from AMS is very frustrating. Exactly the same issue for AMS-DUB (leave via ZWE or trasfer in CDG/LCY). GRH.
Yes, the ZWE-AMS leg (and back) will earn both segments and miles, but they will not post automatically.

And since the last website redesign, there is no way to prepare the claim so you will need to call ... but in my case, that meant that the nice lady on the phone took care of crediting the "flights" with no need to send anything in.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 8, 14, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
AMS-DUB direct can only be booked under KL numbers when your flight starts in DUB and ends anywhere apart from AMS, or conversely ends in DUB and starts anywhere else apart from AMS. (The KL codeshares on Aer Lingus are only available to passengers who transit in AMS and therefore have other flights on KL/DL flights to/from AMS on the same ticket)

Far better, and cheaper, to just book AMS-DUB on Aer Lingus and forget about mileage earning.
Old Jan 9, 14, 5:16 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer View Post
Yes, the ZWE-AMS leg (and back) will earn both segments and miles, but they will not post automatically.

And since the last website redesign, there is no way to prepare the claim so you will need to call ... but in my case, that meant that the nice lady on the phone took care of crediting the "flights" with no need to send anything in.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Will the same apply for Delta sky miles?
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting question.

Thalys has some form of partnership with AF/KL but is presumably NOT a Delta Skymiles partner! And Thalys most definitely is not a Skyteam airline.

My guess is therefore that KL sectors operated either by Thalys or 9B (the regular international trains) probably do not count for Skymiles earning....though maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic there. However, given that it requires manual intervention to even get these post for Flying Blue accounts, I expect there would be no way of even getting them to feature in Delta's world at all.
Old Jan 9, 14, 8:37 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Originally Posted by ELAL View Post
Will the same apply for Delta sky miles?
Per the Skymiles earning page for KLM:

Accrual only applies to KL-marketed flights operated by KLM, PrivatAir, City Hopper flights, and KL coded SkyTeam partners.
So I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 27, 14, 12:24 am

Hi all,

A quick update on the claiming of miles for the ZWE-AMS trip and back, as I just did one.

Used the "Claim Miles" link, and there is new functionality. You enter your e-ticket number, and it retrieves the missing flights. My ZWE-AMS trip was immediately credited. (Have to wait for the return, since that was less than 5 days ago).

Painless and an actual improvement!

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, EK Gold, FB Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
If you do not turn up in ZWE to collect your ticket you will find that you will be unable to check in for your onward flight from AMS. It has been stated on here in the past that, without collecting your ticket in ZWE in the prescribed manner, the rest of your itinerary is frozen and/or cancelled (as a no show) - they will know whether you collected your ticket in ZWE, and this is necessary to keep your itinerary alive.

There is no way around the requirement of travelling to ZWE to collect your ticket there and commence travel in Antwerp.
Having just "flown" this segment + onwards journey I'd like to add that the agent specifically was looking for the stamps made by the train conductor. After she found these she had to make a phone call to the ticket office to "unfreeze" the rest of our itinerary. Only then we could check-in at AMS for our 2nd leg.

When we asked the agent "what if the train conductor didn't stamp the train ticket" we were told this is the responsibility of the traveller to get it stamped and without the stamp no check-in would be possible...
Old Feb 19, 14, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by HaikoW View Post
Having just "flown" this segment + onwards journey I'd like to add that the agent specifically was looking for the stamps made by the train conductor. After she found these she had to make a phone call to the ticket office to "unfreeze" the rest of our itinerary. Only then we could check-in at AMS for our 2nd leg.

When we asked the agent "what if the train conductor didn't stamp the train ticket" we were told this is the responsibility of the traveller to get it stamped and without the stamp no check-in would be possible...
Interesting, I've done it a few times now, and never have I actually had to produce my ZWE-AMS ticket ... maybe it depends on your residential address, mine is in Belgium, so less likely to be skipping the leg.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 20, 14, 4:43 pm

Programs: FB Silver
I once had this segment where the train was packed beyond its capacity, all corridors blocked with people and luggage. The conductor never showed up, and I didn't bother to look for him/her. Explained this to the check-in agent at Schiphol and had no problem.

On the other note, I was given a train ticket without seat reservation and "had to stand all the way from Belgium to Amsterdam". Made a complaint via the website. Received a standard reply in the tone of "we do our best but we cannot ensure you anything..." [together with a gesture of 5k miles but that's not the point ].
Old Feb 20, 14, 7:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Quite unpleasant and irritating statement.

What if no conductor showed up at all?

What if he had run out of in, time or lost his stamp?

I would say that the onus should be on the airline to prove that the traveller did not take the train rather than the traveller having to prove he did.
Old Feb 21, 14, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
I would say that the onus should be on the airline to prove that the traveller did not take the train rather than the traveller having to prove he did.
Placing the onus on the pax would never work in Sweden, for practical reasons. There is no guarantee that you ticket will be checked in the first place. Even if it is, and if you actually happen to have a paper ticket instead of an electronic one on your cell phone, the best you will get is a ballpoint check mark placed somewhere at random, and indistinguishable from the type of artwork produced by untalented two-year olds.

Johan
Old Feb 21, 14, 5:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold; Accor Gold.
I don't know about ZWE, but I've had a Glasgow-Brussels trip with a return leg ZYR-AMS-GLA. In this case, OLCI was not possible for the return and I had to go to the Thalys office at ZYR, present a paper copy of my e-ticket and get a 'boarding pass' (i.e. ticket) for the train trip.

I can't remember whether or not this ticket (just a scruffy-looking printed A4 sheet) was stamped by the conductor (although it was inspected by him); however, on arrival at AMS I could check in for my onward GLA flight using one of the Blue Robots - no presentation of evidence was required.

Presumably, the ticket-issuing process at ZYR registered with KLM's system; or maybe they just didn't care. Does one not have to turn up at the Thalys office in ZWE to get a train ticket to AMS? If so, isn't this sufficient evidence that the trip was made - with or without a conductor's stamp?

-- Henry

Search this Thread
Search Engine: