New airlines for AMS

Old Jan 2, 14, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
New airlines for AMS

With the S14 timetable, AMS will see three new airlines. AC is continuing on from LHR, PR will fly from MNL (with a 77W!) and QR start DOH service.

Code:
AC808/AC809 - LHR-AMS-LHR A319 ARRL 13.05PM - DEP 14.00PM

QR275/QR276 - DOH-AMS-DOH A330-300 ARRL 15.00PM - DEP 16.40PM

PR722/PR723 - MNL-AMS-MNL B777-300ER ARRL 13.40PM - DEP 15.00PM
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The PR flight is interesting. I stand to be corrected but, AFAIK, this is the first time that PR flies to Europe. Seizing an opportunity opened up by KL no longer offering a direct flight? And has PR concluded interlining agreements for onward connections from AMS to elsewhere in Europe?
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Silver: AZ, BA
The PR and QR flights are not a surprise, but the AC one is! That will make an interesting way of hopping over to London! I've previously taken UA widebodies from BRU to LHR but this will be more convenient ;-)
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), AA OWE (EXP), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
AFAIK, this is the first time that PR flies to Europe.
No - they used to fly to Europe (FRA, ZRH, LGW, CDG - not sure about AMS) in 1980's and early 1990's.

AC is weird - I guess they will use the YYT A319, that would otherwise seat on the tarmac at LHR.
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
AC is continuing on from LHR

AC808/AC809 - LHR-AMS-LHR A319 ARRL 13.05PM - DEP 14.00PM
Are you sure about that? On an A319? Where is the flight coming from - St. Johns???
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Are you sure about that? On an A319? Where is the flight coming from - St. Johns???
That's how it's in the system.
But it is also discussed here with some interesting info.
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The PR and QR flights are not a surprise, but the AC one is! That will make an interesting way of hopping over to London! I've previously taken UA widebodies from BRU to LHR but this will be more convenient ;-)
Will the need 5th freedom rights?
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
Will the need 5th freedom rights?
If the agreement with Canada is modelled on the EU-US one, it does allow them to fly an intra-EU segment tagged onto a tatl one and vice-versa.
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The EU and Canada concluded an Open Skies agreement in 2009 so I presume that AC can operate any services between points in the EU that they wish to and that therefore tickets will be available on the AMS-LHR-AMS and LHR-AMS-LHR sectors.

However, with such a small aircraft, they won't have so many seats to fill (and they have no codeshare partners between LHR and AMS so they may be able to sell a good few tickets to their own passengers coming through from Canada) so it may not end up being as cheap an option as other similar tags in the past (UA used to park aircraft overnight in BRU rather than have them sitting overnight in LHR where the costs are far more expensive, and tickets on these tags were more about minimising cost while maximising access at LHR, so they could afford to almost give tickets away on the short tag.)
Old Jan 2, 14, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
No - they used to fly to Europe (FRA, ZRH, LGW, CDG - not sure about AMS) in 1980's and early 1990's.
You are indeed correct. Before my days of flying to Asia... Having looked a little more into it, apparently the last PR service to Europe was in 1998 but they have now resumed, starting with flights to LHR last November, following the removal of Philippine carriers from the EU blacklist earlier this year.
Old Jan 3, 14, 4:48 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
QR is an interesting presence because it opes up a lot of routes to Asia and more importantly Australia.
Old Jan 3, 14, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR so far only flies to PER and MEL in Australia.
Old Jan 3, 14, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin View Post
QR is an interesting presence because it opes up a lot of routes to Asia and more importantly Australia.
I think EK/EY already fullfil that gap.
Old Jan 3, 14, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB View Post
The PR flight is interesting.
Rotterdam is a big port, I suspect there is a substantial market for SEMN tickets. I can tell you that our seafarers don't like KL much at all, whether via TPE or connecting to CX at HKG. EY is OK, but still requires a connection.

Johan
Old Jan 3, 14, 4:11 pm
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
Im excited for PR to come, I know MNL is a top destination for the asian carriers flying out of AMS so that should be interesting to see what it will do with the pricing.
PR allready announced its coming to Amsterdam 6/7 months ago: Next up are Paris and Rome !

AC - Eventhough they arnt flying they still kept an office in Amsterdam all this time so returning to amsterdam must have been on their list for a long time. But this is hardly a spectacular returning.
Where is this flight coming from? if its not from a major canadian city such as Toronto, Vancouver ? It cant possible hold up year round.Who is going to fly AMS LHR YYT YYZ ?
From amsterdam we have KLM, Arkefly and Air Transat for the nonstop and all major airlines with 1 stop to any major canadian city. Not to even speak of the aircraft type.
I dont see a long life for that route but we shall see.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: