Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Way to do OLCI When I Get Check-in Restriction Message?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Any Way to do OLCI When I Get Check-in Restriction Message?

When trying to check in, I get the message "You or one of the members of your group can not use Internet check-in, due to a check-in restriction. Please check in at the airport".

Nothing strange about the itinerary, KLM flight numbers booked on klm.com, no visa required for my destination, etc. The KLM Twitter people say that's just the way it is, check in at the airport.

Any way to clear this and do OLCI? Any number to call where they can actually troubleshoot the problem?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I would suggest their Twitter or Facebook team as well, but obviously you have already tried this. Are you checking in from the first segment of the itin? I have seen this message when I try to do check-in from CDG in a AMS-CDG-xxx itinerary for instance.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I would suggest their Twitter or Facebook team as well, but obviously you have already tried this. Are you checking in from the first segment of the itin? I have seen this message when I try to do check-in from CDG in a AMS-CDG-xxx itinerary for instance.
Yes. 23 hour connection in Amsterdam.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:36 am

Maybe the 23 hour connection time is the problem - your onward flight may not be open yet.

Or... it could just be a glitch. We've had several such glitches lately, including one where two of us, on separate itineraries, tried to check in for the same flight and one of us (me) was OK and the other one was told that check-in was not yet possible. And, strangely, mine (with the successful check-in) was a complex itinerary booked through a travel agent while my husband's was a straightfoward double-hop to HAM booked on klm.com

Have you tried phoning KLM? That's what my husband did on both of the recent occasions when he couldn't check in online, and they checked him in over the phone both times.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Ok, it may not exactly be "strange", but I was surprised to hear about a 23-hour stopover when there was "nothing strange about the itinerary". That is not exactly usual.

I would also think that the length of the stopover had something to do with this.

Were you able to get a boarding pass even for the first sector?

This happens to you a lot, doesn't it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...net-check.html
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Could be passports on record (KLM website doesn't seem to allow you to update)? Had same issue last month when my wife couldn't check in on the same PNR. We were flying OW to Europe but destination was a country she is a citizen of. Her old passport expired so maybe it wasn't updated and was flagged. Our AMS stopover was scheduled for under 2 hours.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Ok, it may not exactly be "strange", but I was surprised to hear about a 23-hour stopover when there was "nothing strange about the itinerary". That is not exactly usual.

I would also think that the length of the stopover had something to do with this.

Were you able to get a boarding pass even for the first sector?

This happens to you a lot, doesn't it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-f...net-check.html
I have had long connections like this in the past - and it will give me a BP for the first segment, not the second.

Yes, about 25% of the time I would say KLM does not let me check in. I usually have codeshares bought on delta.com, and assumed that the problem may have been related to that. I had hopes that buying on KLM.com would have reduced the chances of a check-in glitch, but apparently not.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Interestingly, it allowed me to check in about an hour ago. The boarding pass covers both flights, including the "connecting" flight. At the time it checked me in, the "connecting" flight was 40 hours in the future, and, not surprisingly, I was shown as number 1 on the boarding pass to check in for that flight (and 143 for my TATL flight which was 6.5 hours before departure at that point.)

I am wondering if the problem is that the system cannot do a check-in for only the first of two or more connecting flights because, unlike some other airlines, there is one boarding pass for multiple flights. And while the system will let you check in for a connecting flight more than 30 hours in advance, there is still some outside limit as to how far in advance one can check in.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:59 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The flight needs to be transferred/provisioned at the airport for OLCI to work. This happens about 2 days before departure I believe. It could be that the second flight simply was not in the system yet.

A 23 hour transfer is, usually, not considered a stopover. Anything under 24 hours is just a long connection. Meaning that from the first flight they should normally be able to issue both boarding passes..
Old Dec 9, 2013, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just tried to check in a bunch of pax on KL887 AMS-HKG.

If I take the PNR/Flight # route, I get a message "you have already checked in", without a possibility to select/change seats, or to print boarding cards, or do anything else.

If I log one of the pax in with her FB number, KL changes its tune, and I'm now told two things on the very same page:

"It is not yet possible to check in for this flight. Please try again later."

and

"You can check in on Mon 09 Dec 2013 11:40"

That was almost 5 hours ago!

Oh boy!

Johan
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
If I take the PNR/Flight # route, I get a message "you have already checked in", without a possibility to select/change seats, or to print boarding cards, or do anything else.
KLM's systems can smell the BA check-in bot on you. Even though you're not travelling yourself, they are punishing you for infidelity. Or just getting ideas from the BA bot.

Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Many
An AF agent teached me a workaround the other day : always echeck-in using the e-ticket and the flight numbers rather than booking reference or the FB number, specially when dealing with complicated routings or PNR (such as those which have been modified several times).

It happens to work indeed much better IME.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KLM habitually asks for the eticket number when it can't initially find the booking via the PNR/name/date/departure info.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
KLM habitually asks for the eticket number when it can't initially find the booking via the PNR/name/date/departure info.
... and, IME, this almost never resolves the issue.

-- H
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Henry III
... and, IME, this almost never resolves the issue.
It works a treat for Aer Lingus flights from AMS! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.