Wiki Posts
Search

KLM "Bid for your upgrade".

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
KLM "Bid for your upgrade".

Just going over an upcoming booking on the KLM website, and it says about KLM's "bid for your upgrade" option. I click on the link to bring up the upgrade page and it lets me bid for an upgrade on a flight I'm not even booked on! The flight on my actual booking is a return from the UK to Paris with AF!

Last edited by Schwann; Nov 18, 2013 at 2:10 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
so when your bid was successful, does this impact the mileage earning on your ticket?

AFAIR - when you buy an upgrade during online checkin or at the airport you will get the miles of the originally purchased fare.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
You are right Fozzy, the terms and conditions (and thus the milegae earned) of the original ticket apply. Getting an upgrade at check in (just) gets you a seat in the Business cabin
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by sbams
You are right Fozzy, the terms and conditions (and thus the milegae earned) of the original ticket apply. Getting an upgrade at check in (just) gets you a seat in the Business cabin
but what is with this "bid for upgrade"-offer, where you get a secured business class seat before checkin opens (in case your offer is accepted). the terms and conditions for "bit for upgrade" don't mention that you will earn only the miles for the original purchased fare class. that's what makes me wonder.

can anyone confirm that a successful bid did give miles for original class or for business class?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I tried to bid on a KL leg on a mixed DL/KL itinerary (006 DL ticket stock). The system told me this itinerary was not eligible for the Bid system.

Anyone have success bidding with a DL-issued ticket?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
can anyone confirm that a successful bid did give miles for original class or for business class?
For a while, it was the case on KLM that you would get business class miles when you paid for an upgrade at OLCI. However, that practice stopped.

This is most likely no different, you will get coach mileage even if your bid is successful.

The section "bid for an upgrade" on the WBC seat page points to the Terms & Conditions at:

http://www.klm.com/travel/be_en/prep...conditions.htm

where I quote:

1.2 After you have purchased an upgrade to Business Class for part of your trip, you have the same advantages as any other Business Class passenger for that part of your trip. The baggage allowance and the number of Miles earned will remain the same as stated in your original ticket
Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I just logged in to my Flying Blue account to cancel an upcoming business-class award redemption.

Somewhat unexpectedly, KLM is offering me the chance to bid for an "upgrade to Business Class" on the KL-operated sector of the ticket.

What should I do???

EDIT: Just for the record, the miles were re-credited to my account immediately.

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I just logged in to my Flying Blue account to cancel an upcoming business-class award redemption.

Somewhat unexpectedly, KLM is offering me the chance to bid for an "upgrade to Business Class" on the KL-operated sector of the ticket.

What should I do???

EDIT: Just for the record, the miles were re-credited to my account immediately.
I had the exact same thing with a flight to AUH in december. A paid booking! I could even click all the way to 'confirm your bid', while the booking was already in business. strange!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Would be very carefully. Even if you are the only one bidding KLM still can and will send out a "Helaas heeft u geen upgrade naar Business Class gewonnen. Iemand anders heeft het winnende bod uitgebracht./'Sorry, no luck!'. Someone else placed the winning bod' email if the flight is not full/overvbooked in the end.
...And still offer upgrades for a higher amount at T-30
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I'd simply bid what I am willing to pay, not worry any conspiracy theories as mentioned above, and and not be disappointed if its not enough and I don't win it. I'd build in a clever margin (for example bid 419 instead of 399).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What should I do???
Pay to support your favorite airline of course

Well done KLM : that is an innovative way to increase your sales !
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by bodory
Pay to support your favorite airline of course
In the end, I gave them €45 (to cancel) rather than €329+ for something I already had!!!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:14 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Fail - keep on trying to use it and errors out at the end with 501. Tried calling the diamond desk, KLM service desk, twitter - ALL FAIL.

I want to give them my money and they won't take it apparently. Tried on over 3 computers 3 different browsers from multiple IP addresses.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: TK Elite (*A Gold)
You can get the J seat but not the miles. You'll get the miles from your original ticket.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Fail - keep on trying to use it and errors out at the end with 501. Tried calling the diamond desk, KLM service desk, twitter - ALL FAIL.

I want to give them my money and they won't take it apparently. Tried on over 3 computers 3 different browsers from multiple IP addresses.
I have the same problem. Did you come up with a solution to this problem? I called KLM customer service but got a Delta person who was not familiar with the KLM bid for upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.